The Future of the Novel in the 21st Century

What genres do you think will emerge in the 21st Century? What is our great movement? Where will literature go?

The flourish of genre fiction is a dead end and will lead us nowhere. If anything, it may encourage wider readership but not a deeper readership as books by writers such as James Patterson and J. K. Rowling continue to dominate the market.

The truth is that most people don't read very deeply, and there is little education to point them towards greater literature. With all the talk about Post-Modernism in the universities, would we see a decline of interest in the Western Canon by the public in favour of multi-cultural literature regardless of aesthetic merit?

the novel is obsolete and has been for a while, its replacement will be some sort of collage that will arrive after WW3

easy-to-digest, fast-to-read and easy-to-write-yourself greentext stories

it's actually happening right now – novels aren't becoming, but HAVE ALREADY become obsolete (and the greater the scope, complexity, and cohesiveness of a novel, the less your average reader cares about it), and at this point even metamodernism isn't be able to do anything about it

the greatest 'novelists' of the XXI century will be 'digital prose poets,' able to convey a life-changing and mind-altering story using a few simple sentences

sorry, DFW, and sorry, Poncho - the future of literature is short and green

Have novels become obsolete because of the limitations of their expression? Or are they becoming obsolete because people lack the time to read them at length?

It's a mixture of a lack of time to fully consume them, rampant anti-intellectualism, television and YouTube videos that are short and funny, and an education system that is getting worse and worse.

In short, society is moving past the novel.

Novels are hardly an ancient form of writing, in any case. Much as no-one writes prose romances anymore, it shouldn't be surprising if people eventually stop writing novels.

The most successful literature and art will favor the political (i.e. multi-cultural) over the aesthetic. This is our cultural zeitgeist. Deep, complex novels will probably continue to be published, but their readership will dwindle, and these bookish books will become cult objects. If the world continues technologically evolving without any major war, I expect the successor to the novel will be some kind of multimedia "unit" that you can purchase as a cohesive whole. This will cater to "readers" who still long for deep-thought reading experiences, but are natives to digital media and environments. These avant-garde digital/hybrid works are already being produced, but I suspect they will become more mainstream.

I don't think it's alarmist to say that written literature is dying. I think it's honest. Humans are finding less intellectually demanding ways to consume stories and information.

If WW3 is nuclear, then survivors will circle around campfires in the ruins of cities, tell stories, and restart oral tradition. Eventually the new stories will be transcribed, and the whole process will begin again. This is the only way I see a return to a deep, written tradition where aesthetic merit supersedes identity politics.

>It's a mixture of a lack of time to fully consume them, rampant anti-intellectualism, television and YouTube videos that are short and funny, and an education system that is getting worse and worse

Yes. It will continue to get worse because children born today and tomorrow have these modern entertainments in their early development. Unless parents have a serious dedication to cultivating literary values in their children, the internet will be the main steward of values, information, and habits in upcoming generations.

>rampant anti-intellectualism
if this is a thing, when did it start/make gains, where, and why?

The wasp elite that had an appreciation of high European culture and fostered its creation handed their power over to jews in the postwar period, and since jews are mentally sick liars and tribalist outsiders, they used this power to promote anti-intellectualism, a lowbrow culture, and degenerate propaganda in general, so that's what we have now.

I'm not sure, but if you go to any museum of "modern art," or any contemporary art exhibition, and look around for a while, I think you will find it hard to deny that today anti-intellectualism is indeed a "thing."

Atlanticist puritans, buffetted by the religious awakening and revivals, Jacksonian democracy, the individualist work ethic, and John Dewey

It's funny, though at the same time sad, how some people will develop bizarre interpretations of phenomena so they don't have to confront the jewish question.

what are some early/current examples of this digital multimedia "unit"?
Interactive fiction? (In the hypertext style).

When education became widespread and mass-market entertainment was available to masses in arts that for the majority of human history were inaccessible to them

We live in the era of pop culture. 'High culture' was a product for and by the elites/aristocracy.

>We live in the era of pop culture. 'High culture' was a product for and by the elites/aristocracy.
You say this like it's a development that has unfolded naturally. This result was brought about, and European high culture has been subverted, very intentionally.

Just wait for the inevitable counter-culture movement where genre fiction gets absolutely BTFO and gives rise to the new age of post-modern contemporary greats

This will also happen with the prominence of new-left ideals in literature

>new-left ideals
what are these?

Read Bookchin

I wonder if epic poems, or at least longform poems, won't make a comeback. Even the biggest poems manage to elude the density and the intimidating quality of a large work of prose fiction.

What /pol/ would call cultural marxism or SJW's

You're delusional. Postmodernism is what has taken the novel into the depths of meaninglessness, and the "new left ideals" you speak of are only shared by a dwindling cohort of pollyannas who have yet to realize they've aligned themselves with hordes of low IQ mudblood invaders who don't give the slightest fuck about literature or the European sense of idealism often conveyed through it. If literature has a future, it lies with growing white racial consciousness and will contain the ideas needed to emancipate us from the system perpetuating our displacement.

We live in an era where there are no more heroes. Only average, flawed human beings crushed by nihilism. Epic poems are not for these times.

Would series a of web pages with embedded content be conidered an evolution of the novel?

The hope is to be found in the embrace of identity. That is what has been attacked in order to create the identityless, nihilistic individual so many now find themselves discontented with. Once the individual understands this and is able to unshackle himself from the fake reality that has been created to keep him mired in his own individualized meaninglessness, it becomes easier to see the bigger picture, that he is a part of something. The weebs rolling in pity and searching for meaning in European literature sense this on an atomic level, but they've often been too indoctrinated by jewish propaganda to realize that it doesn't have to be that way, and that there is a way out.

this is retarded logic and also false

Epic poems are still alive in a sense. The epic fantasy genre owes a great amount of its structure and set pieces to the epic poem. You might even be able to find an epic fantasy novel that is written in a poetic style if you look hard enough. That most epic fantasy produced is generic trash nowadays is evidence to how popular and influential the epic poem has been and continues to be, though.

The embrace of multiculturalism VS the retainment of ethnic identity

Pop Culture VS the Counter-Culture

Are these dichotomies the two great challenges of our age?

this sounds like a line from a delillo book if you changed ww3 with ww4 or 5 and then the characters argued about which number sounded more realistic

Yeah man fuck Atlanta

The identitarian struggle of European man to regain his identity and expel the jews trying to turn his nations into multicultural, mixed race shitholes will be this century's battle, no doubt. High culture is a product of the European mind and has only diminished as jews have been increasingly allowed to take control of our cultural institutions, which they use to dumb people down and promote hypersexualized pop garbage. But this goes with the first part. Culture is always a reflection of those in control of it.

Are there any contemporary writers who have confronted such issues?

Dystopian presentist fiction

Not that I'm aware of, at least none who've done it well enough to warrant acclaim. But there are understandable reasons for this. It will come in time, and maybe it will be you.

I intend to write something about it. I just need to know where we are.

Great thread so far.

There's much to say.

1) I agree with the anons who have their money on the epic tale and the epic poem. Star Wars, GoT, and a dozen others are billion dollar examples come to show how there is still an apetite for the unending, the msximalist and the heroic.

Furthermore, I'd even day the heroic cycles, the sagas, the episodic nature of the travel journey will come back as the pendulum swings as far back from this identity-politics miasma (as it will, I promise you, my brothers.)

2) I disagree with the Europhiles in this thread; to think a nativist approach to identity will replace a multicultural approach to identity is a mistake. The problem rests on the fictions identities are (including ethnicity) and the winning literature of the 21st c, especially through the epic form, will not be about defining a people or a city but with other topics the epic format has barely grazed except with notable exceptions as Joyce's Ulysses.

3) I agree with the primacy of poetry over prose, a prefference with succint, short, works over longer ouvres in a digital format.

4) I have no doubt there will always be a need and a thirst for written words though I also think the heart is big enough for us to see a resurgence of the oral tradition (in much more sophisticated ways than slam poetry, such as bardic gatherings and memorizarion [of epic shit of course]).

5) And this is a heads up for all of you tired of the idiocy of identity politics: we will see and we are seeing a reinassance of anonymous works, pseudonims, and, most importantly, I think we can have a lot and by this I mean A LOT of fun with heteronyms.

Rise you fallen fighters, rise and take your stance again...

>to think a nativist approach to identity will replace a multicultural approach to identity is a mistake.
There is no such thing as a "multicultural identity," or if there is it's what we have now, which is an identity (or more accurately, a non-identity) that centers around hyperindividualized consumerism. Multiculturalism is the death of identity, and a proposition nation is not a nation at all.

There is nothing more fundamental to identity than race, and race is the foundation of culture. European culture, which is what a forum like this revolves around, is rooted in a genetic reality that will cease to exist if Europeans cease to exist, which they will if multiculturalism continues.

You live in a fantasy world.

What do you think of public ignorance with regards to literature and art? If we are to commit ourselves to any movement or belief on how to move forward, should we pander to the tastes of the illiterate and the unexposed?

This is not a plea for elitism, but should we not attempt to raise standards than bow to the lowering of them? We would become conformists and not visionaries.

I write solely for the internet. Physical distribution/special editions are extra for my work.

the fuck does it mean to "embrace identity"?

What are the tangible benefits of writing only for the Internet? Where do you think the next revolution in presentation will be, and in what form?

>muh whiteness
>muh jews
>muh monolithic identity
>muh politics
nobody gives a fuck.

what will emerge is wordscapes.

written pieces that don't so much have a story or characters (not that these are utterly absent, but just not as important as in a novel) but a series of moments and scenes that share a commonality.
instead of a story and its development, its the sheer words and the images that they inspire which will keep readers captivated.
these wordscapes will trend towards the short - shorter than "short stories" in fact, and bordering on poetry with their attention to style and condensation.
formatting and marginal images (i.e. medieval manuscripts) will fuse the written word with visual elements. again, this is a culture that prefers the visual/upfront/short.

>What are the tangible benefits of writing only for the Internet?

I'm confused by the question. Instant distribution to anyone, anywhere in the world. Buy the download, print off your own copy for all I care.

As far as next revolution, imagine if you had Joyce or Shakespeare with disguised links to the entire compendium of human knowledge and a link to exactly what they meant or what they were referencing as they wrote.

Alternatively, I think the internet is a new artistic medium itself. Just as the novel was. Just as film was. The possibilities are endless. Hell, team up with a musician. Team up with a photographer and create a new form of graphic novel.

The possibilities are literally endless. The internet is only beginning, bruh.

I also wanna add that wordscapes will provide an escape from, if not a reaction to, the same type of identity politics and ideological posturing that has infected the public discourse and """critiques""" of our culture

a sort of nihilism that fights and rejects all forms of categorization and generalization
language - particularity it's malleability - can upend this type of discourse. grayness > black/white, the return of irrationality, the acceptance of impermanence and fluidity with consequences we can't even imagine. believe me, post-structuralism isn't nearly as obscurantist enough.
and perhaps the gods will return to give us a little structure. mysticism and radically personal (yet broadly communitarian) forms of worship will crawl back. our contemporary dog cult and celebrity cults are only the beginning.

a new lexicon will emerge. not for the purpose of pushing an agenda or reforming English, but for the sake of creativity and playing around with what we have. this will probably take in aspects of other languages, upsetting both sides (muh multiculturalism and muh cultural appropriation)
this new vocabulary will be integral to wordscapes, as they make each 'scape unique and showcase a writer's ability to weave language into a new tapestry

Think about it, dude. You can not only write, but make your own music, your own photos/film, your own anything. You're the complete creator of your idea.

Now, you may be smart enough to realize you're not great at all that stuff so you bring on another team. You work together.

Shakespeare wrote plays, man. He didn't do all the acting in them. He didn't do the costumes or the sets or the whatever.

With the internet you can be everything or be a piece of a bigger whole. Imagine in the future, websites as artistic works/stories themselves. They'll even have credits like the end of movies. Cast lists. Whatever.

The world is your oyster, man. Don't get held back by what once was. Imagine what could be.

Sure, nothing will ever beat the theater of the individual's own mind, but the beauty of it is there's room for that, too!

It means to be proud of being white and not being afraid to advocate for the long-term interests of whites.

That's comforting to hear, and to a certain degree bolsters my point. But what about an epic poem itself? There's a part of me that feels it's a genre waiting to be reborn. As I said, a poem is inherently less dense and difficult than a prose work. You can power through the Iliad or Paradise Lost in a way you can't with a novel. I say you CAN power through it, if you want; and that very ability to power through it may simultaneously encourage a reader to take it slower, to stop at a point that strikes them and meditate on it for a while. And isn't that the point of literature? Isn't the point to arrest the reader, to make them think? Isn't the goal to generate an experience of transcendence for the reader in their daily life? So I think there's a door ajar, as it were, for the narrative poem to stride back into contemporary literature. Fuck, there are "prose poems" nowadays that get halfway there, awful though they are. A poem that's poetic, and yet tells a story, seems to me something that might have a rebirth in the modern world.

>You can not only write, but make your own music, your own photos/film, your own anything. You're the complete creator of your idea.

This is something I've thought about too

What I imagine is a sort of 'complete medium'
Let's say you start with a story.
The physical copy includes a cover (I've had the chance to see a lot of early 20th c. and before books lately, and the covers are so impressive) and illustrated pages with much care
Then a piece of music to 'soundtrack' the story
and finally a film to showcase both word and sound in action

Depending on the nature of the story, it can even be extended to a line of fashion, or a food menu, or entirely separate visual media (i.e. painting, sculptures, tapestries)

Exactly, man. Hell, you can even lead readers to a physical location to view your sculpture or painting or tapestry or your dick or whatever. Send them to a mall to get a T-shirt or a diner off a highway in Iowa to order the chocolate chip pancakes. And if you don't want to do that, put in your own recipe with a fucking video of you or a representation of your main character making chocolate chip pancakes.

The possibilities are fucking endless. Literally fucking endless.

It's a whole new fucking world, dude. But 90% of the writers you see/read will just be bitching about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's scary and unknown. People are used to things a certain way, but you have to adapt. You have to. If you don't, you die.

Fuckin' hell, you can add an amazon link or some shit to the exact ingredients you use and earn a percentage of the sale.

Everyone just has to start thinking outside the box. I know it's cliche but I feel I'm right.

There's definitely room for epic poetry in our current culture

The length, the stylishness, the GRAND NARRATIVE (pomo says it's dead/questioning, but people fucking yearn for it - hence shit like the Clash of Civilizations and the constant framing of events in terms of huge categories like race/colour/gender by media and public alike)

I think the realism that has dominated lit for the last several decades is on its way out. people want and escape from reality, not a rehash of their problems.
Epic poetry can provide this, and its so well suited to clear-cut and self-important stories. If framed in the language/tone/length that we are suited to, all sorts of mythologies can easily be revived. Latin may be dead, but the classics ain't.

Why do y'all think Game of Thrones is so popular? Superhero films? It's epic poetry (no matter how good/bad you think it is) in the form of visual media

>your dick or whatever
>fucking video
>fucking endless
>new fucking world
>Fuckin' hell
Do people often call you a retard after you plaster your thoughts onto the internet?

>Everyone just has to start thinking outside the box. I know it's cliche but I feel I'm right.

The internet really has given us a whole new 'box'

I think back to the retrofuture stuff of the '50-'70s
a lot of things they overshot, i.e. space-travel.

but the Internet? being able to do so much (buying, reading, viewing, listening to, researching) off something you can put in your pocket; in the comfort of your bed or the toilet
this is something that's had mass accessibility for no more than two decades. we're just getting started.

Sure, it's possible. I'll sleep fine.
I agree.

What I am more interested in is what it will be in service of. It is not simply exploring what the medium will have to offer in terms of presentation, but what only the medium can capture. If the Internet is a new artistic medium, do we have any conception about what it will be able to capture? Something distinct from any other medium?

For example, will the Digital Age make the canvas obsolete because it can be rendered on a screen? Will the cursor replace the brush? Will the screen replace the canvas?

Get rid of the MFA mills that churn out crap writing and we might have a future.

>Something distinct from any other medium?

a new type of connectivity and interaction comes to mind
embedded material (i.e. footnotes you can scroll over), direct links between the different/related media, hyperlinks for certain references
if we're talking children's lit, then Flash animation and transitions between chapters would be entertaining

or, a constantly evolving written work
let's say an author wants to revise something - they can do it in real-time, and it shows up your eBook with an alert/legacy mode (for the prev. version) similar to Google Docs
maybe they want to add something to the story too

>do we have any conception about what it will be able to capture?

look at what is already done/common in digital media, and what's programmable as far as eBooks

Now you're being obtuse, a huge problem with art these days is that it requires you to have read everything the artist has and then some more otherwise you won't grasp where he's coming from.

Undergraduates need to leave and never come back. (Yes, that means *you too*, faggot.)

Shakespeare was meant for the masses, too. His elite contemporaries preferred Marlowe.

>would we see a decline of interest in the Western Canon by the public in favour of multi-cultural literature regardless of aesthetic merit?
the major book awards over the last years would certainly be evidence of this, but one could argue that these non western countries DO have a political and-or cultural landscape that lends itself better to the production of groundbreaking fiction. there are some works this century that seem to be universally accepted as excellent, compelling literature: Knausgard's My Struggle , Marlon James' A brief History of 7 Killing, Doctorow, Baldwin, Zadie Smith etc to name a few. what can looking at all these more recent works tell you? certainly won't find many white men on these lists

Our society is on the brink of fucking collapse you mongoloid, if you can't see that then you don't deserve to speak with us.

The average man is either a brainwashed liberal or a retarded conservative, neither holding to the principles that both were founded upon (how many men who vote conservative go to church and abstain from adultery until marriage?).

Neither have any place for intellectual thought, and any moment a seed is sprouted to attempt to gift them a mind of their own, it is choked in rocky soil, the rocky soil being the media, Hollywood, entertainment, and the venomous people surrounding him.

Why should I, or anyone else care about philosophy and our very existence when I can just watch football with the guys?

We are a dying breed, the last warners to speak in a dying society, a society plagued with not only degeneracy, but apathy and even hatred towards the Lord our God, which is why we have fallen so far.

The Parable of the Sower, as spoken in Matthew 13:3-8

"And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold."

Try as you might your self conceived philosophies and nihilism, it will get you nowhere. There is no solution to this puzzle but chaos, just as the fall of Rome, our society must soon fall too.

R E A D M A R S H A L L M C L U H A N

W H Y S H O U L D I ?

>Our society is on the brink of fucking collapse
[citation needed]

Political over the aesthetic is one of the best ways I've heard it put. I can see it in the graffiti of the city - the obsession with the exterior, political life is killing any chance at a fulfilling, interior life. I can here it in my head. I can still hear my genderqueer, jheri curl ex-girlfriend lecturing me on problematic views. The redpill ideology is just as damaging. People hooked up to the constant judgement of their character by internet communities obsessed with orthodoxy that they reliably shame and villianize every hero they create. These aren't real people, it's just text on a screen but it serves to stifle any kind of creative impulse that would be considered subversive. I'd like to think in the past you had true, private time to develop these ideas in isolation.

In other words, Idiocracy. The processus you describe isn't limited to novels. The same happens for cinema where anything harder to follow than capeshit/fast and furious/john wick is labeled as intellectual faggotry, or abscons.

This is one of the most interesting threads that Veeky Forums's had in a while. You've got a cross-section of every kind of poster: white reactionaries, doomsday Christians, fantasy nerds, optimistic tech-enthusiasts. I'm happy to have spent a good amount of my youth on this website despite the damage it may have caused me.

/pol/ please, we have a containment board for your kind, stop invading ours.

I love when people call being pregnant "preggers"

I don't want to be labeled a reddit boogeyman but "Homestuck" is similar to that user's idea of a 'unit'. It's a story telling medium made up of a variety literary, musical and even video game components.

What is going to happen is:
>poetry gets a revival after a century of realist prose
This poetry is going to be
>imagist and symbolist written as prose poems
>epic and cyclical written in strict verse
Prose is dead. Long live poetry.

For what my humble opinion is worth, literature will survive with those who are interested in it. The volume of material that is produced today in every medium thanks in part to the internet has a blurring effect on culture where nothing stays relevant for very long and usually only the most trite material and information rising to the top. Universities as we know them, places of learning, will fall away to nothing more than trade schools for the dwindling number of professions and skills that require certification to undertake. This means academics will either have to be us on the internet or squirrilled away into some government department that has no pretext of being a 'school'. Anything is indeed possible but there will be no way to monetize it or regulate it's quality.

Underrated

>lack the time

desu

If you need an official article to tell you this than you are already lost.

I really don't foresee any huge change in the form of the novel this century (the future after that is a different matter), but I think that art in the 21st century ought to and slowly is becoming reacquainted with the human figure. You see this in the trend of late postmoderns like Franzen and Wallace to load up their novels with more intimate human concerns, especially that of family (which is a theme often neglected by postmodern fiction and mistreated by kneejerk 20th century "realist" fiction).

I think also that the cultural ground won by the left in this century will be lost, and this century will belong to the right. I've got very mixed feelings about this personally, as someone who trends towards socialist views but is disenchanted with the modern left.

One thing is certain: that the epic will adapt. This is what the epic is, a constantly evolving form. There is a continuous line from Homer through Virgil, to Dante, Milton, and finally to Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, Joyce, Pynchon and Wallace kek. The literary brick will never die and the doorstop will be around forever.

Also the university will cease to exist as an institute of the humanities by the middle of the century.

It's never a good idea to be too bleak about this kind of thing. Also, throughout human history no one but a very select few read seriously, so we'll just to the normal run of things when plebs stop pretending to read

>I think also that the cultural ground won by the left in this century will be lost, and this century will belong to the right.
are you pulling this out of your ass or are you basing it on something

Faggily enough, I'm gonna have to go with "just a hunch" (so yes, pulling it out my ass). But I reckon most people with their ears to the ground feel similarly.

Do you disagree?

Yep, basically, and this is what I was saying the other day in this thread about the embrace of identity and the coming century being one of white cultural awakening in aftermath of jewish postmodernism.

>You see this in the trend of late postmoderns like Franzen and Wallace to load up their novels with more intimate human concerns, especially that of family (which is a theme often neglected by postmodern fiction and mistreated by kneejerk 20th century "realist" fiction).

Right, because what you are highlighting here is a kind of nascent reconstruction of the most important societal foundation, the family, after the jewish deconstruction of it, and attack on it.

It's only natural, and the wise can see it coming. Whites wanting to live in a healthy culture free of jewish degeneracy, and to have their countries back and not flooded by brown people is not "right wing" or "extremist" or "notsee" or anything like that -- it's normal, natural, and a completely justifiable position. That is the age we are now entering, and the jewish left, which defines itself against nature and with absurd gall tries to change it, will only continue to decline, because it was always a utopian illusion.

And yes, the novel will come to reflect these changes, and will soon belong to the right, which is actually, if anything, the historical center.

Pessimist with a spark of hope here. Pop culture and bad education will drive great art to the outskirts of culture, but a small minority will continue to appreciate literature. Thanks to population growth and modern technology, this minority might exercise significant influence, or even grow bigger.

Honestly I feel like as true as the JQ is, at least some factors just happened to work out for them to create this cesspool we live in.

Little happenstance in everything, right? But most of it can be explained and is being explained well by many these days, which is why there's no excuse for whites not understanding the JQ.

>these many people so excited about the future of art
there's nothing left to write about, you fucks
the internet isn't a new revolutionary medium for art
it's art's death sentence

novel length shitposting is clearly the way forward

these are the last dying spasms of a crumbling society, not some sort of ressurgence of the right-wing

We are living out the plot of 1984, and these fuckers are pretending everything is aight and it's just some 'minor' cultural shift.

One might argue that when a society crumbles, the society that takes its place is necessarily more conservative. That was certainly what happened when Medieval Europe replaced the Roman Empire.

No shit, it's because the degeneracy propogated by liberals is what causes that society to fall in the first place.

Proto-liberals allowed barbarians to settle in the Roman Empire instead of slaughtering them.

What you call "right wing" is actually the natural state of western nations, and the crumbling society you're referring to is symbolized by a force, call it leftism but it's really jewry, that has pulled western societies in an unnatural direction via a secular social religion that presumes it can change nature when all it has really done is destroyed our societies. What comes after that is a rebalancing that fools will label "right wing fascism" and so on because that's how jews see it and tell their unwitting followers to see it as well. But it's really just a resetting to a natural order that only got pulled out of whack because jews don't fit into that natural order and therefore constantly agitate and lie to try and change it.

This is how white people need to start understanding this sociopolitical reality, but white people's frame of reference has been so twisted and distorted by these jews our forebears allowed to take power in out nations following WWII. It's up to us to remove these jews and reset our societies back to normalcy.

>natural state of nations

Sonic fanfiction

I do kind of wonder what the literary fate of fanfiction is. You can argue that a noticeable percentage of the material being written by writers today is fanfiction. How's it going to slot into our understanding of literature going forward?

I'll take that as a compliment. The trick is to ask good questions, and once they're answered, ask more good questions.

But people on this board don't get that. Their biggest fears are cultural and racial. They don't consider the material crises that we have coming down the pipeline. This is mostly because they've decided that Climate Change is a leftist conspiracy, and once you've taken that step, it's easy to ignore other problems 21st century man will face.

People talk about Peak Oil, and, given how much we use petroleum products in nearly every aspect of our lives, it's certainly a concern. But what about topsoil? At the rate we're doing things, the world's topsoil will be depleted in about sixty years. We'll be seeing mass famines long before then. Same thing with freshwater: two-thirds of the world will face water shortages in 2025.

I think some interesting books will come out from this period. The real trouble will be finding functioning publishing houses.

>there's nothing left to write about, you fucks
This is absolutely retarded.
>the internet isn't a new revolutionary medium for art
>it's art's death sentence
To each his own. I prefer to think optimistically. Like I said previous before I fell asleep last night and just returned to the thread. It's scary and unknown. Hell, in a few years I may be writing for virtual reality experiences. Look at how far video games have come. I'll write for them, too.

I'll keep writing. There's one thing in the history of man that is constant, besides food, water, and sex, and that's man's need for a good story. To be entertained. The other stuff is physical. The story is what helps us relax, grow, learn, teach, frighten, challenge our inner selves. It contains our history and the promise of our future. From the first tribes huddled around campfires to the future VR experiences. Everyone needs stories. They'll always need new writers and storytellers.

I'm hopeful.

There's no writing in vidya though. Certainly nothing that would require a paid professional. The reason being gaming is addictive because it rides the task > completion > reward route to your brains warm fuzzies. If you pay somebody more to dig a ditch more quickly, they will. If you pay an artist more to complete a painting, or a write a novel faster, they usually won't. The reward incentive only works if the task is mundane. That's why video games are so tedious. Its not 'bad' writing, there supposed to be like that because if they engaged your brain in any meaningful way they wouldn't be addicting.

Well you're not wrong but, again, I was mainly trying to make a point. Particularly trying to make a point about a writer being a part of a larger whole. In a game situation, sure, the focus might not be the focus of the game, but it can certainly enhance the game and the experience. We're only just now starting to blend these two mediums.

In the past you might only remember how difficult a level was like that one Battletoads level or you might distinctly remember the exact maneuver you had to make to pass something in another game or the konami code or whatever. But now people are starting to get a feeling from, let's say, Marston's ride into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption that are starting to stay with them, too. They're beginning to blend together is all I'm saying. Who knows where we'll be some years down the road.

99% of the time browsing this site I have to sift through tons of shit threads, sometimes however I encounter one with a few replies that actually inspire me, to create and to think. The emergence of a new medium has been swirling my mind lately, with some of the stories I want to tell any one medium that currently exists doesn't feel like enough. All I see are images, words, music, interactivity with so many possibilities. I'm currently making a video game that incorporates all this to create a complete experience, hopefully this will be a stepping stone for me to move onto something better...

Would you guys listen to a low key ambient cyberpunk rap album written in ancient epic verse structures? Bringing the classic low lifes of gangster rap into the dark future, using them as tragic heros each representing the different corruptions of our modern age. The album follows multiple characters surviving in an overgrown expensive cities of the US. I've been making this lately and filming a short movie to go along with it, using shots from the city to create the world around the music

if the music was good or the rapping was really cringy

The questions for a good thread have to be broad enough to incite a variety of replies, and yet specific enough such that the thread does not devour itself in confusion. But what is more important, however, is that the questions be vital and pressing, and that they open possibilities to how they might be answered. Happy that you enjoyed the thread :)