How fast can you read?

How fast can you read?
What is your stance on speedreading?

Other urls found in this thread:

spritzinc.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i do it naturally, and it fucking sucks. Too fast to actually appreciate the total page, but when i make an effort to slow down i naturally go back to a faster speed

>i do it naturally
The internet shaped me
Into doing these things
I am no longer my original being

speed reading is acceptable for simple non-fiction or books with low signal to noise.

if you're speed reading nietzsche, nabokov or books with high information density you'll be cheated and won't actually pick up anything non-superficial

same goes for audiobooks

What's up delray misfits bro

I only read at a rate of 3 syllables per minute for 2 ours a day. It allows me to grasp the full emotion of the Sounds that make up the words.
It also means I haven't finished reading a book since the third grade.
But War & Punishment is coming along nicely.
Thou I will ave to reread it for the plot.
*Sigh*

>I haven't finished reading a book since the third grade.
LOL

Have a buddy who speed reads with great comprehension and we actually raced book by book through Proust and I beat him 4-3. Though I'm slower (and more deliberate) I can read for 8 hour stretches whereas he tires after about 45 minutes or so.
Is tiring quickly general among speed readers? Curious.

depends on whether the content i can actually consume while speedreading captures my attention organically. otherwise i get tired after about 45min as well

Who cares how fast who reads, just enjoy your damn books

It depends on the book and on how exhausted I am. Sometimes I'll read pages without subvocalizing, but then I'll stop and re-read a particularly interesting or beautiful passage two or three times.

Using something to guide my reading, like running my finger under the lines, helps a ton with focus and retention. That extra tactile sensation helps me stay in the moment.

Speed reading is for airport novels.
Comprehension > speed

I'm fairly slow at reading, and it depends a lot on who I'm reading. I could get like 300 wpm or so with P&V Tolstoy; I get 180 with Jane Austen.

Speedreading is a meme. It should be noted that for all the brouhaha about speedreading, exceedingly few actually do anything important as a result of it. Speedreading is useful in the realm of tests and schooling in general, but there's no reason to speedread if you can just as easily make more time in your life for reading.

I think 's example is poignant: reading endurance is probably a worthier thing to train (especially in our overly teched-out world) than reading speed. Since reading is a semi-meditative active, it really should be something to devote time to, rather than trying to be done with it as soon as possible.

What colour are your irises?

Hazel. From the pupil green, light brown.
?

>organically
I'm reading that as books that excite you?

i can read at a rate of approximately tree fiddy

t. rupi kaur

I think I can read pretty fast. I break sentences into 2 - 4 chunks and read each one of those more or less instantly. I don't steadily "scan" along the words with my eyes, but rather move my eyes from point to point quickly.
I can read this at the max speed of 700wpm easily: spritzinc.com/

However I have to slow down substantially as the prose gets more complex, of course. I read at a normal pace when reading something like Faulkner or a textbook

So but how can I increase my speed? What are some useful exercises, techniques, etc

As I become serious about Literature my reading speed has slowed, paying attention to and savoring sentence structure as well as authorial flow.
This doesn't apply to translations or popular fiction.

Takes me 10 minutes on average to read a paragraph. Been using the spreeder app to help me.

I'm dyslexic so I have to re-read paragraphs and sometimes chapters because I failed to comprehend it. About 85% of the books I start I don't ever finish for this reason. If I do manage to finish a book it will take me months. Fuck speedreaders.

Emma is fucking disgusting. Im glad she left the genovaverse.

Very much depends on what I'm reading. Anywhere from 20-100 pages. Atlas Shrugged took me a week and The Divine Comedy took me 3 days, but the Canterbury tales took months. I also tend to have a harder time with non-fiction.

i read bonfire of the vanities in 30 minutes
thats years ago now
i dont bother with wasting time on shitty fiction generally

>reading a book

what are you? a nerd?

People have their natural reading pace, for some it's faster and some it's slower. 'Speedreading' implies that there is an effort to read faster. Whenever people try to read faster they can invariably only manage to skim read, which is fine if that's what you want, but bad if you want to actually appreciate the entirety of the passage.

If there is a demonstrable way to improve your reading speed while maintaining full comprehension then nobody has been able to figure it out. The only way this happens is through reading tons and tons every single day; your speed will naturally increase, but not for everyone and even if it does it's only a few more words per minute really.

Basically it's a scam. Just read, don't worry about the speed at which you're doing it. The fact that you're reading anything at all puts you at an infinitely higher WPM than the 85% of the population who literally never read anything.

I suck at it and wish I could read faster.
Obviously different books at different rates, but I generally can only do ~15 pages an hour.

Emma come live with me bb

Honestly, speedreading is counter-intuitive and a shitty way to experience a book.

it's the same as playing a movie in 4X

reading books is not a fishing contest, stop it.

About 1 page per minute for a normal classic (Dostoevsky or Melville for example). I am trying to slow it down to about half that speed.
Speed reading is for utilitarian scum.

>all the subvocalets ITT

Wrong, having women around greatly improves the dynamic and exposes them all as weird sperglords (including seemingly-normal Prince Andrew and Mailprick), though interestingly, Janoy seems to act more normal around women, possibly due to being a closet homosexual (it less stress bro...)

Speed reader here, I read War and Peace in a little under 4 hours.

Speed reading literature is chugging a fine wine.
Sip and savor.

I sometimes get this pace where I seem to skip sentences. It's an automatic thing and if I go back and reread I always seem to have picked up the information after all. The problem is, it makes me self aware during reading which is really distracting. It's like breathing manually

I can't read bro im maybe 1% of autism bro, a lil adhd ocd and acdc, cant read.

Not really much of a speed reader. In order for me to progress to the next word, I need first translate the current word into at least 6 different languages to grasp its profundity to the fullest extent. I then take the word and compare the phonemic structure of each of its syllables with Kant's entire body of work regarding aesthetics. This ensures I understand every aspect of its artistic value.
>Currently reading: Infinite Jest

kek, give us a book review in 5 or six years, user.

Time isn't something that exists independently in itself.

Therefore, how can you read?

Does speed read you or do you read speed?

Does perception imply the unconscious or does the unconscious imply perception?

Can consciousness perceive further unconsciousness?

And does perception equate with stimuli in variance or constance?