What language are you trying to learn user? How's it coming along?

What language are you trying to learn user? How's it coming along?

Teaching myself Scottish Gaelic. Slow.

being the disgusting weeb i am, i tried learning hap for 3 days. and got bored of it. stick to hentai and subtitles kids.

i think i might just study spanish, it's so pleb, but everybody speaks everywhere so i'll get plenty of practice, my area has a lot of arabs too, but if i move then knowing arabic will be basically useless but everywhere has spanish ppl, the only problem with spanish is there are like two or three good books in the whole language, i worked towards learning french for a while because there's so many good books, but other than the occasional african dude one rarely meets a french speaker irl so hard to practice

Native language:
English

Learned:
Spanish

Currently learning:
Russian

Want to learn (let's be honest here, I'm never getting around to these):
Japanese
Mandarin
Latin
German

We had this exact thread a month or so back

Esperanto

I just ordered a learning book for it.

isn't esperanto a jewish trick to destroy european culture?

Probably.

At least I'll know the language of the enemy should they try to decieve us

Quechua

Native Engrish speaker.
Trying toblearn Spanish

Currently staying in an area were no on speaks English. It helps. Trust me.

Know english and bow-gunni.

native english

have learned well enough to write and speak
swedish
norwegian
danish
dutch
german
french
latin
russian
polish

can understand written and spoken brokenly but gave up learning past that and sort of didn't want to know the languages fluently for personal reasons
hebrew
arabic

currently learning
italian sort of

probably won't bother learning any other languages after italian, it's fucking easy though. also never bothered with spanish because i really don't like mexicans or spaniards, and asians are gross and i don't like their culture so i haven't bothered with them either.

Liar. No one has that much time

a lot of them are similar. russian took the longest by far and understanding the writing is still really annoying, but then polish became easier. this is how you learn languages. you pick the major hitters, then you slowly vaguely understand other smaller ones.

learning german/french/russian will allow you to then learn several other languages very easily

t. what i did

p.s. german is really really easy and every native english speaker should know it no problem

Like jamacian

Japanese through osmosis by anime.
Mandarin through osmosis by music.
English through osmosis by memes.

learn an actually difficult language like hungarian
>born russian so I don't have to learn it

I would if I learned Finnish and I wish I did. That might be the last language I learn, and maybe I'll learn Hungarian with it, but then probably Estonian too... this is how it starts.

Native Spanish speaker

Only really completely fluent in English aside from that but I also know

French
German
Japanese

well enough to read/write relatively complex texts and I'm still studying them.

And I want to learn:

Russian
Mandarin
Finnish
Arabic

Maybe Italian and Portugese too

Ahh, a dick measurement thread :^)

Trying sanskrit right now. I have a pdf of Mueller's grammar but still haven't made it past the sandhi rules. I don't think i'd be able to find a single root without a dictionary. And everytime i come across some devanagari, there are lots of characters i don't recognize (though probably because they were budhist texts).

Maybe i should pick german instead

Udachi

It's super easy to learn, you start out by reading the vocalizations of moaning and groaning, middle out on the sounds that objects make and end on those funny noises the Japs make with their mouths.

Taught myself French a couple years ago.

Just decided to start on Latin.

hey me too

Why would I try learning another language when everything worth reading is in English?

Currently studying Spanish, Croatian and Japanese.
My Spanish is at a B2 level, my Croatian is at B1, and my Japanese is trash. Probably only N4

because sometimes we actually enjoy speaking to people

Italian, mainly.

But I'm giving up. There's no point. I'll never be fluent or actually read works in the original. Unless I go and live there for an extended period, which isn't happening.

don't get discouraged and give up. if you go a while without studying don't give up altogether. stick with it. the more you study the
more motivation you'll have to keep at it. you can also find groups of people online or irl in your community that can be your pen pal

don't get discouraged and give up. if you go a while without studying don't give up altogether. stick with it. the more you study the more motivation you'll have to keep at it.

My native language is Spanish, and my English level is somewhere between B2 and C1.
I'd like to learn a third language soon, but I haven't decided between German and French yet.

What's your first language? I know italian is hard; but it's not imposible. Io posso capirlo senza problemi; ma è duro esprimersi.

Latin. Ordered Wheelock and purchased the game Influent.

Mandarin. I'm at the point where I can communicate with Mandarin speakers in a limited fashion but need time to compute what they're saying. I can generally understand things given context, which I think is a huge step. I plan to go to China in a few years to teach English in a school in a smaller city once I'm through with uni

My native language is spanish. I dont know which is the level where i am in this language but i thing that i can make myself understand. I want to learn russian and a dead language like latin or old english

how to harmonize reading literature/philosophy in your actual mother language whilst reading/learning another language?

i challenge you to write something coherent in danish

hello evreryboady, iy ham currantly learhning dhe english lanhuage... eed a bery beuful lanhuage

I'd say you're an A2, maybe a B1 at best. I highly recommend working on your grammar and spelling before doing anything else.

Power2u

Native language:
- Russian / Ukrainian

Learned:
- English
- German

Currently learning:
- French
- Greek
- Latin

Want to learn:
- Hebrew

frankly this post was fucking epic
+1 internetz

japanese

i thought i would be fluent after a year of study but i was wrong

i probably will never learn japanese without actually going to japan and being around people who speak it

1 year? Are you retarded?

Ukraine is meme country, isn't it?

Native language:
Portuguese

Learned:
English
Spanish

Currently learning
French
Russian

Want to learn:
Latin
German
Japanese (maybe)

How can you do it? Learning 3 languages at the same time?

currently i am trying to learn to speak "hip", the cool language. i want to be able to "blend in" seamlessly with a crowd of young, uneducated black men, and talk the "cool" talk, though i am a Haitian French speaker and most black men regard me as a homosexual interloper

Duolingo just updated with Japanese.

I'm native English speaker, just moved to Israel. My Hebrew is conversational but I'm really trying to refine it right now.

Also learning French on the side, took a few years in high school.

Also did a few lesson of Japanese just for fun.

Hebrew is actually really easy once you learn the alphabet. Minimal words to say what you need. Wish you luck.

>tfw speak Russian
>illiterate
what do

Latin. I know that 'ianua' means 'door'.

>Haitian French speaker
Holy shit user, that's got to be one of the unluckiest native languages you could possibly get.

Do yourself a favour and get Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata if you a haven't already.

ah, monsieur, do yourself a favour and don't

I'm literate in Spanish, conversational in French, can say a few things in German, and can deduce a lot of Latin. I might add Attic Greek to that list one day, but I think i'd rather just improve the languages I already know rather than try to pick up another one.

Spanish. Fine, I guess. I'm reading 2333 with an online PDF viewer and Google translate but have this rule where I can only look up single words, and only if I can't figure out their meanings from the contexts. I finished Duolingo but don't think it did anything. Mostly what helped is memorizing all the tenses and then just trying to read Spanish newspapers and watch Spanish-language TV series without any subtitles in either language.

Amazing, your syntax is almost perfect, but your spelling is like someone mocking a foreign accent.

Native
English

Learned
Latin - I'm just a few vocab items off reading fluency. I still use Loebs though

Learning
Classical Greek - a few chapters through the Reading Greek
French - idek what to do with French. I took it to alevel in High School and can read anything with ease, but can't hold a conversation or understand anything when it's spoken. Pretty sure I just need time in a Francophone country.

Will learn
German - only after French
Italian - after German
Modern Greek - if it's easy enough to go from Attic to Koine to Modern I'll learn it, otherwise it's not an interesting enough country or culture to justify the effort

extra
Do formal languages count? if so then I'm learning some formal systems that I found in an online college textbook about logic: truth functional logic to start with and first-order predicate calculus after

Native english, know latin moderately well (enough for Aeneid), learning Greek

>Im an early classics major

I am learning Japanese and mandarin. We had this thread already though.

My first time seeing the thread so it's a-ok. Are you struggling at all with those Japanese letters?

It's okay. I am an asian studies major, so I have extra pressure or otherwise I probably wouldn't stick with language learning because I am a lazy ass. I can get a point across speaking wise, and with reading I can make out most street-signs, menus, and the general gist of most manga. I need more vocab, but that comes with time. I am just impressed with how far I have gotten; if I keep it up in a decade I'll be pretty good.

My study of classical languages is simply the reading of Plato and Augustine at the seminars. Nothing super complicated.

Thanks!

The idea is to see how much you've progressed in that time.

I tried learning Japanese a little in high school, took some classes. Then I went to college and fell for the stem meme for a few years.

I've completely forgotten how to read Japanese now other than hiragana, katakana, and memories of grammatical structures. Now I'm trying to learn Mandarin instead.

Who is the lady you keep posting? Looks like a friend of mine.

native:cantonese, english learned: mandarin, spanish, japanese wtl: arabic, korean, norwegian, (russian), (latin)
which means I will never get around learning a new language as long as I'm making no effort to learn anything before learning arabic (progress: zero)

I agree it can be difficult to practice French, but if your goal is to read it, that can easily be achieved without irl interaction with natives, not to mention that you can mimic immersion on your own without having native speakers around:

1. Set phone/computer/etc. in target language

2. Label items in house with their name in target language (this also helps with vocab)

3. Exclusively consume media in that language (listen to music as much as possible, watch tv shows, watch movies, read books, read blogs, watch youtube videos, post in the /int/ general for your lang, etc.)

4. Try to think in your language as much as possible, and try reformulating the sentences that you say/think into the target language. (This step may come after you have achieved a certain level of proficiency in the language.)

5. Sustain this for as long as you want/can and reap the benefits!

Also, protip for watching movie: watch with subtitles on (obviously), but once you are good enough at reading the language, put the subtitles IN the target language. This will help you match the native sounds to the words that you already know, improving your oral comprehension.

Not the other person, but lingua latina per se illustrata is the best way to learn latin, read it with a latin grammar by your side, but don't focus too much on the latter.

I speak fluently: German, English, Spanish

Learning: Arabic, French

Going well.. lots of people i can talk to :^)

It only looks that way because English is all you know.

I agree that it can be very helpful, but I would offer one word of caution:

It's easy to become thrilled by your progress and just burn through the book very quickly. This is not a good idea however, unless you intend to re-read it several times.

If you want to really soak in the vocabulary words (mostly the ones that aren't repeated super commonly) then you either need to make Flashcards to go along with your reading, or you need to read it slowly so that your brain doesn't get overcrowded with new info and you can have time to properly archive what you're learning.

You can get to the point of reading works in the original, you probably just have to rethink your method.

I got to the point of reading German works in the original version (my native language is Italian) in around one year by laser-focusing just on reading skills.

By using something like readlang.com you can comfortably read massive amounts of stuff in your target language, even if your vocabulary is pretty limited at the start. And soon you will get to the point when you remember enough words and expressions that you can at least get the gist of every text you meet, even without using a dictionary.

There's entire other sides of the internet inaccessible to you because of the language barrier.

where are you from, user?

>readlang.com
thanks user

Hvad vil du have mig til at skrive? Jeg ved godt, det er svært at tro på, at jeg kan hitte hoved og hale i så mange sprog, men det er nu sandt alligevel. Den storste udfordring med dansk er klart udtalelsen af sproget; ikke så meget det skriftlige da de grammatiske regler for det forste er nemmere end hos andre germanske sprog, men også fordi jeg netop er velbevandret i andre germanske sprog. Skriftligt norsk og dansk er jo stort set det samme.

spanish.

then I wanna learn irish.

since I already know german, after that I'll learn all the germanic languages, since it'll be relatively easy- a few of the languages are even just german written phonetically different (Dutch, I think).

Then italian.

Then try french again.

I really want to learn japanese, chinese and russian, but I don't feel like fucking around with a new alphabet.

Native: English
Fluent: Mandarin Chinese
Learning: German

I learned Chinese over the course of 5 years of autistic study and my wife is Chinese. I can understand basically anything although I'm still learning new technical/literary vocab everyday. Classical Chinese is still very challenging but I can read modern novels easily.

I'm learning German because I wanted to pick up a third language closer to home and German seems fun. However, I worry about the usefulness of the language and sometimes I think about learning Russian instead. German is a hell of a lot easier than Chinese in any case.

>the only problem with spanish is there are like two or three good books in the whole language
Nevermind then. Spanish literature is not for plebs

How are modern chinese novels? Any masterpiece?

Irish and Russian.

Russian for more than a year now. I can read YA shit and just throw the words into anki. I'm progressing nicely. I can listen but can't speak due to lack of practice. I've tried meeting people on italki and things like that but holy shit are they clingy. They just barrage me with constant messages and requests to skype. If there's such a thing as an online personal space I've yet to meet someone on italki who doesn't violate it just a little bit. It gets to the point where if I don't reply for a day they start sending me messages asking me if I'm ok, at which point I promptly cease replying.

Also learning Irish, only just started that. I learned a fair bit in school but I've forgotten nearly all of it, and I never learned a lick of grammar or in fact any of the rules of the language, just memorised sentences and vocab. But ah well, that's my fault for being too stupid for the big boy classes.

Learning Spanish because it's practical in NYC and I want to spend time in central and south America. I learned German back in high school but it's pretty useless aside from pseud stuff so I gave it up after I finished school.

French

My biggest problem is that I'm a total autist. Since I started a year and a half ago, I created a vocabulary list. I initially intended it to just be a few words and phrases but, at this point, it's over 350 pages long. Every time I come across a word I don't know I note it down and later look it up on 5 different dictionaries and add all the different definitions to the list. Even if it's a word that obvious, I still feel I have to note it down because it's not on my list.

Despite this, I feel I've made good progress. I just think I could progress quicker if I could just abandon this stupid list.

Si ce liste t'aide à apprendre les mots plus fortement, ce n'est pas un problème. À moins que tu est actively engagé dans ton apprentissage.

*es activement

Putain, cet autocorrect.

Are you a handsome fellow?

מישו פו דיבר עבריתץ?

i have 3 semesters of college spanish under my belt so i can read and write it almost coherently. it's still piss poor but i have the basics well enough that i can probably start reading works in spanish to improve. it's frustrating and time-consuming to sit down and google translate every other word though, so i fear that i'll just lose what i've already learned soon enough.

I know for a fact that I'm not the only person on this board who taught himself Italian from reading astrology books...

Native:
Russian

Memenative:
Belarusian

Fluent:
English

Competent:
Spanish

Learned memenative:
Polish (mostly forgotten)

Tried to learn a memelang, lost interest:
Lithuanian (my Russo-Polish will be enough, anyway)

Tried to learn, but was abhorred by all the scum, dropped it:
Swedish
German (why you had to nigger yourself just now, Hans?)
Arabic

Learned at the Uni, but was abhorred by all the scum, now think to give it a second chance:
Farsi (cool writing though)

Tried to learn, dropped it after getting to know how autistic the people are:
Finnish
Japanese

Thinking of learning:
- Tibetan
- Sanskrit
- Classical Greek

I have a strong interest in Buddhist sutras, luckily all of them are translated into either Tibetan or Sanskrit. Both of them also have noice writing, plus to my calligraphy hobby.
But Greek will be much easier to learn and read. But the writing is boring.

Anyway, English+Russian combo is overpowered. Anything of worth in Europe and most of worth in Asia had already been translated into one or both of them, and both of them are understood by locals everywhere except maybe Lazyspain and Lazytalia. And China, but hell, they don't want to talk to you anyway.

Not really. English speakers that aren't predatory wierdos looking for a foreign wife are really high in demand.

Maybe I'll give it a try then. Do they make you put your full name and a picture and all?

Full name, picture and a bio. Make even a small effort to seem like a normal person and you inbox will fill up extremely fast if you're a native english speaker. That's my experience with Russian, I'm not sure how it is for other languages.

Meh, I couldn't handle someone recognizing me on the app or something, I'll leave out a pic and see what happens. Thanks.

Haхyя вы yчитe pyccкий, вы чтo, eбaнyтыe?

в pyccкoм языкe ecть хopoшaя литepaтypa и пpиятныe звyки.

It's just a shame about the people.

Speaks:
English, pushto

Learning:
Latin

Wants to learn:
Japanese, Russian, Farsi, Spanish, French, German

Progress is slow..

Been studying Japanese since 2010.
Passed JLPT N1 two years ago.