ITT: Veeky Forums pet peeves. What shit bugs you the most about reading? What triggers your autismo?

ITT: Veeky Forums pet peeves. What shit bugs you the most about reading? What triggers your autismo?

> holding the page ready to turn to the next one
> have a habit of holding the page tightly
> accidentally tear the page
> page torn, not enough to damage the whole page but just enough that it takes a piece of the sentence with it

This has happened to me at least twice now and it always bugs me. It's like, it's not a big enough deal to worry about it, right, nor is it a big enough deal to get the book replaced, but motherfucker I don't feel right about it until I've replaced the book.

> person says they "read" audiobooks

> author directly addresses the reader

Literally would buy another copy of the book. Don't care how bad it is, torn pages trigger me.

I fucking hate typos, especially when I have to do a double-take, question my sanity, and ask, "...surely they meant [word/phrase X] instead of what's on the page, right?"

Seeing people read YA fiction in public.

Tempted to smack the book out of their hands and tell them "you're welcome."

When the text on the page hasn't been printed properly so it's like half the word is missing.

You have at least five books in your collection like this, I know it.

When one line on a page looks like it's slightly squashed or is slightly blurry compared to the rest.

I hate meme culture. It's embarrassing and often people call people out here for reddit and tumblr-esque humour with a lack of self-awareness regarding their own fascinating for memes.

it's all fucking dreadful.

When on every given point of the book one of the pages is printed nice and black,and the other blurred out and gray.

I swear my copy of Heart of Darkness was exactly like that. Thought it was my eyes becoming unreliable at first

Fucking meme speak from hack female millennial writers.

>"Why? Because drugs"
>"I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW"
>"yaaas girl slay"
>"Are you sure about that? Um, okay."

I understand why most authors do this but,

>Book has multiple subplots going on at once
>You're deeply invested in one particular character's plot
>Shit's starting to get good.
>Right as things are about to get explained or shit starts happening
>You're suddenly following someone else that you don't give a fuck about
>You're almost tempted to skip this part, just because you want to know what's going on with the other character

I guess it really depends on how the author does it, but I recently read a book that was essentially two different stories that merged together at the end. It was so annoying. One story was about a primitive village, and the other was about a young explorer. One half of the narrative was carefully showing you the intricacies of this village and how they do day-to-day things, as well as exploring their personal beliefs. It was interesting. The other half was some angsty teen moping around the surrounding territory. I guess he was used as a vessel for exposing the reader to the other cultures that surrounded the village, but it was literally, "Wow, look at this place, isn't that neat? Anyway, I miss being at home and I'm sad and looking at the native ladies titties, teehee! I'm sad..."

> I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW

This one genuinely does bug me, especially when it's said verbally. It's not funny the thousandth time it's been said - people were saying it ten years ago back on Newgrounds - and it's neither insightful or mature. It just comes off as embarrassing.

I've never read anything that has this sort've shit in it, but if I did I'd probably pitch whatever it was across the room.

What the fuck?

I guess not reading contemporary garbage is a good idea.

Can you name some books that do this?

>bugs

easy on the carrots

all the hong translations of kierkegaard doesn't align properly on the spines.

VERY. ANNOYING.

let people enjoy things and be stupid

It's prevalent in post-gawker new media publications like Buzzfeed, Vox, Mic, Vice, etc. It infects the whole social media femisphere too. You go to forums where young women predominate and they all write like that

When they write like a 9 year old school girl on a serious topic
>Captivate by Vanessa Van Edwards

Hey man, you should just be glad they're reading at all.

You never know when someone sitting through The Hunger Games is going to inspire them to dig deeper.

> two different books
> both written by the same author
> same publisher
> one book refers to only the author's surname
> the other book refers to the author's full name

FUCK THIS STUPID MEME

had to read something that was ambiguously YA for a class. there was a character that was 16 and spoke in outdated memes. the character named her cat Nyancat. it was horrible.

user.. easy on the caps

that's very specific.

I feel exactly the same way. It's just one or two people forcing it because of their ebin mass-reply to a single post.

Holy.... I want carrots

It happens more than you think. See Victor Hugo's Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame on Penguin.

You chucklefucks are no better than these kinds of people mentioned here I wish memes were illegal.

There are some people out there who also share this sentiment but with classics and non-fiction. Your argument is no better than theirs; you need to understand that.

Feel free to shit on them all you want, but do understand that some people don't take reading too seriously. YA readers are just looking for a quick plot fix.

Guys, please calm down, I didn't say I would actually do that and I was being hyperbolic because I thought saying "you're welcome" would be amusing.

I do genuinely think it's a shame that people would feel similarly but about people who read classics and non-fiction, but I know that's true too. I've had people come up to me on the train before asking if I think I'm better than them for reading a little Dostoevsky to pass the time. A lot of people think you're instantly pretentious just because you like reading classics.

This. I don't mind audiobooks but you're not kidding anyone when all you listen to is audiobooks and then you talk about reading.

>big words
>small text
>no pictures

just to name a few

> no pictures

So you don't like most books?

In a way, you do come out as the better man in such a situation. Thoughts aren't worth anything until they materialize into actions.

People are judged no matter what they do. You will be judged for having poor man's clothes or expensive threads, for having a hideous face or the face of Adonis, and for reading Chaucer or Green.

There's no point in caring about what other people think. Just do what you want. The world would be a better place if people were just a bit more egotistical.

Carrots.

Can we report these reddit summerfags?

Im angry now, we all know that one girl who says at least one of these on a daily basis

What does yaaas stand for? Never heard it before.

When Dave Eggers writes introductions to otherwise decent books (see e.g. Forty Stories by Donald Barthelme).

>finish a chapter
>have to carefully think about what I read just now so I won't forget it before the next chapter
>often reread entire passages just to make sure that I did not forget anything
I wish I wasn't a brainlet

Surprises me how so many people on Veeky Forums don't remember what they just read. Do you try to speed read the book?

No, I read very slowly and subvocalize. Maybe it's because I often have to look up words and am thus breaking the flow of reading.

Try reading books in your own language, then.

i hate that everyone i know states a classic or modern pomo novel as their favorite. comedy gets no love among the tryhards

Metaphor/idiom mistakes, like "towing the line" instead of "toeing the line". That one just made me lose all respect for the author's intelligence.

All of culture is meme culture

easy on the polemics

user.. easy does it

That was a fucking disgrace. How can such a talentless man be so self-congratulatory?

What comedy book do you suggest? never read one before and was interested in trying it. Wanted to be introduced by a good one though and not taint my outlook on the genre with a bad one.

Maybe in your anime fanfiction

i always see people use "brass tax" instead of "brass tacks"

Lol and this is why digital is superior.

Same except for Murakami and weeblit.

18/19t century works often had the "Gentle reader..." ring to them.

is that a boy or a girl?

>dog earing books
>"anyways"
>"dived" instead of "dove", etc.
>"their past has come back to haunt them"

>exclamation points

nigga i can hear you already

What kind of retard would ask someone else that jesus what the fuck

i've gotten into many arguments with my coworkers over this

they insist its the same as reading the old fashioned way

Or when the spacing between the letters appears to be somewhat larger.

People who think ebooks are a legitimate way to read.

What did you say to those people? I've never encountered a situation like that and I'm genuinly curious about what a person would say.

Ebonics for an ecstatic approval, usually followed by hand clapping and something about Beyonce

I live in a non Anglo European country and I hear this locally, it kills my soul

This guy gets it

Maybe for the odd outlier, but for the most consumers of YA they only limit themselves to YA, because it's easy entertainment and the plot is set out and the themes are easily digestible.

For example there's a YouTuber who showcases her love for reading and it's all YA, but in one video where she's answered the question "what was the worst book you've ever read" she answered The Stranger by Albert Cam-Us (pronounced that way)

When the author has one unusual word that they just love and use at every possible opportunity. Example: I'd say about 2% of the few million words in Book of the Fallen are "bole".

I was honestly waiting for a punchline or something. None came.

Tbqh I haven't read any of his stuff, but that intro was infuriating.

Have you read dostoevsky

I want to pet that doggo so badly

Sometimes its just difficult to find comedy that suits your sense of humour. Saying that, I do find Kafka amusing and Confederacy of Dunces is hilarious.

I calmly say I don't mean to bother them and they will usually walk away. Someone just stood there staring at me as I tried to read my book but it was too distracting, like I could feel their eyes on me. I would understand if I did something to irritate or provoke, but I know my commute is through some rough places and some people want to get into a fight or something.

I'm rather partial to Robert Rankin. I think I just really appreciate his surrealist British humour. If anyone hasn't read his stuff, start with Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse (which I consider his most accessible book) then move on to some of his other stuff. A Dog Called Demolition is absolute gold, with vignettes durign the first half that appear to have nothing to do with the plot and then they all come into play during the latter half.

If anyone says they want to read something like nothing they have read before I always recommend his work as it is funny, strange and fairly easy to read (I have previously read multiple books in the same day).

>we have memes and they have memes, so it's the same thing
Do you also think we are no better than bushmen, because our states are just more complex tribes? That all things are equivalent and have no hierarchy? We have good memes they have bad memes, it's like the difference between the ideas of a fumbling adolescent mind compared to a fully articulated philosophical system.