Which artists of the last 25 years would be literary juggernauts if they went into literature instead of their...

Which artists of the last 25 years would be literary juggernauts if they went into literature instead of their respective medium?

Morrissey for sure. Who else?

No. Morrissey and all other pop musicians are brainlets and therefore incapable of being great writers let alone "literary juggernauts." Maybe some current scientists of the last 25 years but definitely no other artist lol

I hate the Smiths

>maybe some
that's convenient

If Morrissey, then surely Elvis Costello.

In what way?

I get the feeling you secretly love them.

Nick Cave.

Leonard Cohen was on the syllabus of a class at my uni a few years ago, hope to see that continue

No, lol.

everyone who should be a writer is one

joanna newsom desu

>1992 was 38 years ago

This guy. Literally the greatest artist of any time.

This man is the lyrical equivalent of Pynchon

Only about 1/4 of his musical output is listenable, most of it utter trash

Fuck you

god, please stop with stuff like this.
no songwriter could be a 'literary juggernaut' it's why they're songwriters

What's it like having shit pleb taste?

>They got laid in college because they played guitar and I didn't, so they must be one dimensional, talentless hacks.

>Morrissey
He wrote a novel. It sucked.

His autobiography is considered a modern classic.

He's an insufferable bitch.

>Comedy, now that's what I call pure comedy
Just waiting until the part where they start to believe
They're at the center of everything
And some all-powerful being endowed this horror show with meaning
Oh, their religions are the best
They worship themselves yet they're totally obsessed
With risen zombies, celestial virgins, magic tricks, these unbelievable outfits
And they get terribly upset
When you question their sacred texts
Written by woman-hating epileptics

Damn...

Stanley Kubrick, Mel Gibson.

These are the most normie "I'm a smart liberal, love me" lyrics every written.

Vampire or thrall?
I say thrall, vampires have been culled into stealthy tactics.

There is only one correct answer: Anthony Burch.

Shut up Christfag, it's spot on.

>Written by woman-hating epileptics
Yin and Yang are far more "misogynistic". They are more accurate in their portrayal of femininity. Whereas Christianity could be accused of too lenient approach to women resulting in easily mobilized masses. For good and for bad.

Female nature can develop and grow only with outside control; patriarchy. The female does not need to grow in order to reproduce. They have the womb. It matters not what they do, so long as they don't get killed.

Holy shit this sounds like it was written by a literal sentient fedora with little arms and legs and everything

Have you ever listened to an interview with him? He talks about micro-dosing on acid and how Trump is really really scary. He sounds like 80% of the people I hung out with in college, except he's older and never grew out of that retarded phase. That or he's just playing a character to sell music to people stuck in that retarded phase who take him seriously.

If they would have been literary juggernauts they would have gone into literature rather than their respective fields.

>doesn't know the back story to that particular Morrissey episode

To be honest, most of the singers who wrote half-decent lyrics also published poetry or collections of lyrics. Bob Zimmerman, Leonard Cohen, etc.
Michael Gira has written some short story collections, Henry Rollins some stuff too (he's also a publisher). Nick Cave too.

But all these writers *have* gone into writing, so it's not the same as talking about some hypothetical situation.

sorry, meant *singers* in the last sentence.

Nick Cave actually wrote a novel, I have no idea if it's any good though.

Leonard Cohen's novels are pretty out there, I enjoy them though.

John Darnielle has actually become a reasonably respected novelist outside of his band, got a national book award nomination and some pretty strong reviews.

Nick Cave has 2 books out I think. I listened to the audiobook of Bunny Monroe because he read it himself and did some background music/soundfx and it was dark and funny as fuck.

Have any of you actually listened to the record or seen him live? He hates everybody. I think he's great.

I used to like FJM more than I do now. I don't know, his lyrics can be good but it feels like he's just cashing in on the 'weird hipster misanthrope' persona. Like J. Tillman has a ton of albums released, and no one ever gave a shit about those.

His book was shit tho you twat

Every pseud that brings up Morrissey as their go to "cultured" musician should be taken out back and shot

>The female

I don't like the Smiths or the Beatles (besides a few songs) but most of the songwriters I was inspired by were heavily inspired by them.

The female is separate from 'the woman', as the woman carries symbolic value and the feminine virtues with it. The female does not. The female is a sterile word.

>the Smiths or the Beatles
>comparing the smiths and the beatles

>Morrissey
>got laid

That's, like, just your opinion, pseud.

holy... so that's the power of atheism

+david cronenberg

The last night on Maudlin Street
goodbye house
goodbye stairs
I was born here
I was raised here, and
...I took some stick here
love at first sight
may sound trite
but it's true, you know
I could list the details
of everything you ever wore
or said, or how you stood that day
and as we spend the last night
on Maudlin Street, I say
"goodbye house-forever!"
I never stole a happy hour
around here
Where the world's ugliest boy
became what you see
here I am - the ugliest man
Its the last night on Maudlin Street
and truly I do love you
oh, truly I do love you
When I sleep with that picture of
you framed beside my bed
oh, it's childish and it's silly
but I think it's you in my room
by the bed (...yes, I told you it was silly...)
and I know
I took strange pills
but I never meant to hurt you
oh truly I love you
I came home late one night
everyone had gone to bed
nobody stays up for you
when you have sixteen stitches
all around your head
the last buss I missed to Maudlin Street
so, he drove me home in the Van
complaining: "Women only like me for my mind..."
don't leave your torch behind
power-cuts ahead
as we crept through the park
but no I cannot steal a pair of jeans
off a clothesline for you
but you...without clothes
oh I could not keep a straight face
me - without clothes?
well a nation turns its back and gags...
I'm packed
I am moving house
a half-life disappears today
every slag waves me on
(secretly wishing me gone
well, I will be soon
oh - I will be soon)
There were bad times on Maudlin Street
when they took you away in a police car
dear Inspector - don't you know?
don't you care?
don't you know - about Love?
Your gran died
and your mother died
on Maudlin Street
in pain and ashamed
with never time to say
those special things
I took the keys from Maudlin Street
well, it's only bricks and mortar!
and...truly I do love you
wherever you are
wherever you are

Atheism orientated comedy should be banned in lieu of lack of quality. I mean really? Try being subtle for once. Where has subtle comedy gone anyway?

Lucinda Williams

I'm not comparing them. I just said that I didn't like either. The people that inspire me span genres and centuries.

Mark E Smith of the fall. The Camus book after which the band is named is pretty good, too. Much better than "And they called me, The Stranger...."

Return to Metafilter, faggot.

I would have to John Darnielle's early stuff with the Mountain Goats are all top tier short stories. Listen to all the Alpha songs before their record, Tallahassee. He has written a few books in the last decade but the only one I've read, Wolf in White Van, was shit, but I think if he dedicated more of the last 25 years to more literary endeavors instead of music he'd have been a lot better.

Michael Stipe

paul thomas anderson

Posting this talentless hack because at the very least if he had pursued his writing career he may have achieved middlebrow status

The Velvet Underground and Nico came out 50 years a go.

>Backpfeifengesicht
>vegan
>racist
>Penguin Classic just because

>Holy shit this sounds like it was written by a literal sentient fedora with little arms and legs and everything
No. Consider the backwoods. The young women does either get knocked up or moves to the big town. Because if they stay and don't get knocked up, then they haven't proved their value.

Because there is no male equivalent to motherhood. Fatherhood is it not. There is not one single thing a man can do to be set for life and then not fuck it up.

Lmao

you tell us, and please begin with the popular music

not that guy but Lou's last great solo album Blue Mask came out in 1982

OP asks for names.
I don't however disagree with the implied point that OP devalues 'literary writing' by assuming it's somehow less difficult (or some logical progression just up from) writing songs, which is a silly notion, at best.
But what literary qualities or abilities do unnamed contemporary scientists possess that songwriters do not, necessarily? Stephen J. Gould was not only a biologist, but a literary historian of more than adequate competence. It isn't impossible (Chekhov, Ford, Nabokov all come to mind) but without submitting a single name (the convenience) how does (your) point really differ from OP's?

You go to a shit university my friend.