Is there anything more Lit than living in New York City?

Is there anything more Lit than living in New York City?

Why haven't you moved there?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nersesian
art.thewalters.org/detail/15596/erotes--acanthus/
thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/11/luxury_branding_the_future_lea.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't have enough money to live a decent life there

can confirm it's pretty Veeky Forums, but i think it's becoming less so

people don't read good as much as they used to, just riding on the subway nowadays, you don't see as many books. Only phones and facebook

New York is a fucking degenerate third world hive city that is only "exciting" if you find smelly dirty street hot dog vendors exciting

It's too big to be a real city, so it's just a garbage heap of ugly people shoving each other around. Totally pointless to live there.

>what haven't you moved to the third world
Because I like civilization. Enjoy your shithole, nigger.

>Is there anything more Lit than living in New York City?
Living in the country.

>puts down a toni morrison novel
>cracks open the latest new yorker
>downloads an npr podcast
>goes to a free summer concert series
>gets hair cut at place that serves whiskey, like back when real men shaved with straight razors
>wears an untucked gingham shirt not over a t-shirt and catholic-colored topsiders or over-polished menswear wingtips
>waits three hours for a text from the new small plates pop-up restaurant
>orders the second least-expensive malbec
>tries to watch all the oscar nominees each year
>cannot believe how good the new rap album is
>goes to a coffee tasting
>orders a kindle and hard copy of the latest kwame ngobongo novel but listens to it on audiobook during his commute
>goes to four spinning classes a week
>talks about how busy life as a creative is
>buys a groupon for hamilton
>lives in new york city

i know op was bait, but nyc is middlebrow: the place

Hint: all cities are like this. There's no such thing as a highbrow area, there are only places with certain scenes that are worth visiting.

I actually lived in NYC for almost two years. Generally it was a blast. It actually is a pretty literary city: there are tons of small bookstores everywhere, and as that guy above said, you do see people reading in public.

I even got to take a creative writing class with a somewhat-accomplished novelist who'd been living on the Lower East Side for years. In addition to the group being really good for my writing, he'd often regale us of tales of New York in the 70s and 80s, when it was a real jungle.

The trouble is that the rent is too high. I was never able to maintain a steady job, and when things really dried up and I ran out of money, I had to leave. You need something consistently well-paying to live in the city itself, or even in some of the boroughs (especially Brooklyn these days).

>>orders the second least-expensive malbec
kek

NYC can't be romanticized anymore, it's all the same gentrified shit now.

Are there any "romantic" cities left in America? Any cities with some character left? Maybe Chicago?

>anything outside eurasia
>lit

Mexico City is like 19th century london or paris

Yeah, go to Chiraq, it's so romantic

Los Angeles isn't quite as romantic as it once was but it still maintains lots of its old character. That is, until the New York transplants get their way and have the entire city upzoned to be like the place they just left.

Who was the novelist? If you don't want to say, what was the school?

Denver is pretty lit. Having housed Ginsberg and Kerouac, and a few other beatniks I'm sure. Not to mention Dr. Thompson.

This dude: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nersesian

He was super cool. He wound up liking my writing a lot, too. And, as I said, I learned a great deal from his group. There was no school, we just met in his apartment.

Nor do I. And yet I do live here. For now. I will go back to Detroit soon. Needless to say OP is a moron .

Sweet

Los Angeles never had a romantic period, it was always a shithole

Ayyo Detroit whatup

Ew. Fucking gross.
>live in giant city
>shit social system
>literal retard is president
>shit public transport
>way too many people
>two party system
I might as well move to fucking Chechnya.

I've kinda fetishized NYC for 4 or 5 years. Came very close to getting into a PhD program in NYC, but received my rejection letter about an hour before the deadline for decisions. I'll be going out to Boston this fall instead. Anyone know if Boston is very Lit?

too many niggers

Sorry to hear that man. I hear Boston's fantastic though.

You should probably just kill yourself at this point.

A patrician appears.

Clearly you've never been there. Several of those things are nonsense.

You're retarded.

>Is there anything more Lit than [...] New York City?
most of them

I'm a moron because you aren't good enough for New York, and have to return to literally the worst city in North America?

Sounds good.

I don't think so. There's no set place for intellectuals to blossom in the USA anymore

well, I think you're both morons

Then get a better job.

Bump

Apparently more people read in DC, SF and Seattle than in New York nowadays. But all the major publishing is still in NYC. I would if I could OP.

the weather in nyc is shit, at first you don't care cuz its fucking nyc, then after the novelty wears off you're like dude it's 85 degrees and rains every day right up until it's 25 degrees and windy every day, too bad the fucking techbros made san francisco too expensive for people who aren't venture capitalists to live there

New York smells of piss, gasoline and marinara sauce

Yeah, SF is the ideal city but for the ungodly rent.

dude sf is hell on earth, literally post-gentrified

oh god you're fucking killing me man, shit

Spotted the hillbilly hick.

This. People like OP who want to move to NYC because "it's NYC" are brainlets.

>Is there anything more Lit than living in New York City?

Chestertown, MD
San Francisco, CA
New Orleans, LA
Washington D.C.

>New Orleans, LA

yeah i want to live somewhere that has a murder rate equal to detroit and literal 3rd world countries

OP asked if there was something more lit. NOLA has a history that will curdle your spermies. Baltimore, MD is lit too believe me or not. Check out their libraries and museums.

Living in some shithole where nobody understands you is the most Veeky Forums thing on Earth. Living in NYC is for status obsessed faggot who want nothing more than to get in bed with the sycophant-filled literary and publishing establishment.

well if we're going to talk about majority black shitholes with warzone tier violence then why not Newark, NJ? their public library just got picked to host Philip Roth's papers when he finally kicks the bucket, and some other fags like Amiri Baraka are from there too

art.thewalters.org/detail/15596/erotes--acanthus/

Baltimore is great what are you talking about. The streets in some neighborhoods have special light poles that turn on to let people know not to go in there because police will not rescue you. Also its the former home of Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

Never been to Newark.

what if the tupac musical was actually brilliant and it was just 2deep4tourists

>Chestertown, MD

What? Not even the most Veeky Forums place in Maryland by a long shot. Not even the most Veeky Forums place on the Eastern Shore.

It's small, quaint, historical and has a liberal arts college. It's Veeky Forums.

i live in dc never heard of it.

vote is for nola or providence

>NYC
Yeah, decades ago. Not anymore, unless you think Disneyworld is Veeky Forums too.

I lived in NYC for 6 years. I had the time of my life. The publishing houses are there, the best collection of museums, you meet people there from all over the world, it's Veeky Forums as fuck.

of course there's gentrification but the poorer people are still there. they get pushed out to the deeper parts of the outer boroughs.

>because "it's NYC"
NYC is a capital of the world. The only cities you could possibly compare it to are Rome, Paris, Tokyo, and so on.

>NYC is a capital of the world. The only cities you could possibly compare it to are Rome, Paris, Tokyo, and so on.

those cities don't compare u mong, only other options are London and Hong Kong

A shit college.

A smaller, more quaint, and vastly more historical town with a better liberal arts college in Maryland would be St. Mary's City. Much more Veeky Forums.

wtf is that on the second floor walkway on the left? i-is that... a wall of Loebs???

>NYC is a capital of the world.
You are wrong. NYC is Piraeus. Sacred D.C. is Nova Roma.

mexico city > all those places except tokyo

>mexico city

underrated, but don't get carried away

Everyone in NYC acts like NYC is capital of the world.

Everyone in DC acts like DC is capital of the world.

Both fucking suck.

this actually sounds nice

I got stopped there and fined once because it was the wrong day to have the certain license plate numbers/letters

> There's no such thing as a highbrow area
sure there are, they just won't let anyone on this board inside

no

Honolulu, Hawaii. Lived there for years. Ignore the overpriced Waikiki disney club scene. Go to Dixie Grill and mosh. Go to local spots for loco moco and pho. Enjoy the surf. Culturally it's pretty dead unless you're native or a filthy hippie, but it is romantic.

Spring and Fall are the best times to be in NYC.

NYC is most definitely overrated in a lot of regards, but it undoubtedly has some of the world's finest cultural institutions. The library system is world class, as are the museums, music scene, cuisine and architecture.

I'm a native son, born and raised with a stint in PR for 7 years between the ages of 5 and 12. Left when I was 18, haven't lived there since.

Moving to NYC for the experience is most definitely a meme. It used to be that people went there from all over the world to make a better life for themselves. A ton of NYers have left because they got priced out by the people who fall for the allure of it all that's propagated through pop culture. Too expensive, too crowded, too dirty, culturally exhausted from the commodification of its status and a prime example of a police state in a pressure cooker about to burst.

Not worth it IMO.

Pittsburgh on the other hand is heavily slept on and a true gem of Americana. Lived there for about 8 years and left due to extenuating circumstances. It still has a lot of its original grit and character, yet it's in that sweet spot of being on the upswing due to new blood and investment. Also has very good library and museums, decent cost of living, great educational institutions and values. The people are a cross between NE attitude and Midwestern/Southern decency and charm. Multicultural but not too much. Infrastructure and government is shit though. All in all a pretty Veeky Forums city that deserves more attention.

They only last a month.

Winter is the best season for NYC. There's the store windows, lights go up everywhere, the tree in Rockefeller center, ice skating, Christmas shopping, snowball fights. I love the huge snowfalls that shut everything down. And it isn't hot and humid as fuck anymore and it's easier to stay warm than it is to cool down.

Yeah, I'm from Pittsburgh and live here now. I fervently wish people would stop moving here. Any culture we had is being lost and converted into a bland amalgam of liberal cosmopolitan America.

I honestly don't understand how anyone in Pittsburgh could possibly feel like too many people are moving THERE considering how many people from around there flee Pennsylvania and come to Maryland and Virginia.

Enough Steelers shit. Go the fuck home.

Sounds to me like you live close to Oakland/East Liberty/Lawrenceville maybe?

I was living in Squirrel Hill when I left, on the very edges though, closer to Greenfield/Homestead Bridge.

I agree with you though. I met a lot of people from out of Pgh that just didn't get it and wanted to change it. If you don't feel comfy there then stay the fuck out. Cultural homogenization kills the essence of any distinct culture or society.

Pittsburgh is one of the most intentionally segregated cities in America. It's designed to separate the proles from the owners, not to mention Poles from Italians from Blacks from Jews. I grew up in one of the upper middle class, urban neighborhoods. I never see real GO STILLERS Pittsburghers around here and I too fucking hate them.

I grew up in Point Breeze and (((Squirrel Hill))) (jew), and now I live in Polish Hill.

''boring average'' kino

The Steelers are beloved all across America. I live in Spokane, WA now and aside from the Seahawks I see more people rocking Steelers gear than anything else, after that it's the Raiders and 49rs probably.

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, FL there was a house painted all black and gold with a giant Steelers logo on the side with the lettering. There was also a Steelers bar around the way too.

There's no escaping it, no matter where you go. Same thing with the Penguins to an extent. The Pirates, not so much.

Did you know Victor Navarro? I liked this city when it was small enough to feel like how people talked about Haight Ashbury in 1967. Buildings were abandoned and you knew everyone with a face. All poets and musicians and burnouts. Nobody with a future and everyone willing to spot you your disgusting drugs. It was a good place to burn out writing. Pittsburgh Rich was making 30,000 dollars a year because our rents were all 100-200 dollars. This is even 10 years ago I'm talking about.

Now, rents are standard across the country and programmers stalk the streets. Young families pollute the parks. It's the same boring scene you see everywhere else.

I just moved to Chicago. 2 bedroom apartment, full kitchen, bath, and 2 living rooms for $950/month. 15 minute train ride to downtown. I came here to study comedy and I'm stunned by the level of creative options here. I've got enough room to have my own office space and enough places to practice and perform throughout the day and night. Only need to work 30 hours a week.

Chicago seems to have resisted the urge of genetrifcafion when compared to an SF or NYC but that oppressive feeling that anything good is on its way out stays in the air. I grew up in a shitty town in Ohio, that was one of the best places to be. It took leaving to realize that accidentally doing meth isn't a universal life story. The drug addiction and suffocation that so many of us where formed in is going to build artists.

Yo Boston is actually quite Veeky Forums. The entertainment/nightlife isn't as good and diverse as NYC but it has its moments

Because Chicago is just as good but cheaper and the people don't seem like they're always mad at each other. Also deep dish pizza.

>in b4 gun violence jokes

>Chicago seems to have resisted the urge of genetrifcafion
The residents of Pilsen and Avondale respectfully disagree

i'm chicago-curious but i'm scared the weather will suck even more than nyc

air pollution, noise pollution, light pollution, soul pollution

>when compared to an SF or NYC
I didn't say Chicago was doing a magnificent job. Pilsen does still cater largely to the Hispanic population. Take the Pink Line, the ride is full of working-class Mexicans. The train into Brooklyn was shocking: the entire burrough is composed of sensitive rich kids. Chicago is far from becoming nothing but the playground of foreign aristocrats that Thebes's Bay Area and New York have descended into.

the has been autocorrecting Thebe's when I'm on my phone

Just finished undergrad in Boston. Pretty Veeky Forums city; I've never seen so many people reading on public transportation. Some good bookstores as well.

Nightlife isn't as good as NYC probably, but it still exists. But its an intellectual city, for sure.

>San Francisco, CA
Is just a hill-ier, white collar-ier Berkeley, CA where everything is more expensive.

t. Bay Area native.

Romanticized isn't the right word but Compton has definitely been given a mythology these past thirty years.

>Pittsburgh
Fantastic city, was born there. Moved out and lived in NYC for awhile, now I'm deep in the middle of the country. Sometimes I wish I were back in Pittsburgh, though I'm worried about all the new stuff moving in. I remember discovering Garfield Artworks when I was 16, blew my mind.
Go back to Fox Chapel, bougie.
Chicago is indeed a fantastic city, I hope I end up there. I imagine it as if Pittsburgh and New York had a kid. More Veeky Forums than Pittsburgh but isn't a hyper-capitalist, image-obsessed hellscape like NYC.
>Thebes' Bay Are
Fantastic autocorrect, don't fix your phone.

sam hyde is that you?

no one here in dc believes they live in the capital of the world. there is a new class of americans that graduated from the bottom of the top-tier colleges, or the top second tier colleges (think brown, duke, georgetown, etc.) that all take jobs as 'analysts' analyzing things for companies straight out of college. they nearly all live in SF, DC, NY or Boston. when it comes time to move or get a second job, they go to b school or one of those other cities. it's like its own little america inside america. anyways, these people desire 'cosmopolitanism' and make just enough money to play adult, but not enough to stop working. better tasting, cornier restaurants, young patrons arts nights at museums, etc. are all geared toward these people. if you read a NYT 36 hours thing, it's written for these people; they are a kind of unironic yuppie that despite the class they grew up in, all conform to new status strictures within this yuppie class including travel, amount of time worked (these people will often brag about how many hours they work), how much they have to travel for work, their abilities on case studies, etc. anyways, i started this post to say that all the american cities that people formerly thought were cool have been destroyed. all the ones people didnt think were cool will never recover. cities that are left:
>austin
>providence
>baltimore
>portland (both)
>new orleans
>montreal
>mexico city

what happened to that dude

>Portland (both)
Portland, ME is the patrician choice. Also, the term you're looking for is the aspirational 14%: thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/11/luxury_branding_the_future_lea.html

Isn't a huge section of DC basically a ghetto?

Not really; there are some sketchy places but places that used to be ghetto (anacostia) are becoming gentrific. All in all D.C. has been my favorite city to live in.

It's as expensive as NYC but a quarter as much fun, how was it your favorite city to live in? The only thing that DC has going for it is that if you live there, you probably work in government, so you get to feel like you're at the center of the universe all the time. I guess U Street and Adams Morgan are okay for yuppie drinking, and there are some good jazz bars in the northeast.

not that poster, but 'fun-ness' has nothing to do with cities and almost everything to do with your friends who live nearby

Adams Morgan and Georgetown are fun; the museums are fun; no buildings taller than the monument is nice, less claustrophobic; probably the most bike friendly city ever; beautiful countryside is a short train ride away; multicultural and a lot of literary events.