Do you listen to music when you read?

Do you listen to music when you read?

Perhaps specific genres of music for certain books?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._farmer_hypothesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I always do so I can be a patrician in two fields at once.

No, any sort of noise besides something like a fan bothers me to the point where I can't concentrate on my reading at all.

shiggy
>Anyone who acts without paying attention to what he is doing is wasting his life. I'd go so far as to say that life is denied by lack of attention, whether it be to cleaning windows or trying to write a masterpiece.
t. nadia boulanger

I listen to CCR

No, but sometimes I masturbate while reading (non-erotic) books

JUST GOT HOME FROM ILLINOIS

GOT TO SIT DOWN TAKE A REST ON THE PORCH

>taking advice from women

these, tbqh

I unironically find it difficult to do anything that requires a modicum of effort while listening to effort, although that might be my 10-IQ brain showing.

I listen to white noise (mote specifically brown noise)

that depends. I have a fan on and podcasts, usually, but the ticking of a clock drives me up the fucking wall

earth - hex for blood meridian or books like that (warlock , butchers crossing)

stars of the lid for everything else

Interesting. I also listen to Brown noise. Not just while I read, but also while I work and when I'm just trying to relax. The sound is very soothing and it has the added benefits of blocking it other external, annoying sounds as well as temporarily calming my tinnitus.

post your charts Veeky Forums

I tried to do that thing- I read covering your eyes while listening to- white noise? binaural noise? will let you see visions, and I thought it was interesting. I'm not very susceptible to shit like that though. I just got really anxious. Same thing happens when I listen to asmr. I get the hebbie jebbies, like there's goblins or something in my house. I've gotten up and closed the doors to rooms to make sure they can't get in. Which is... it sounds really bad, now that I type it out. But it's... not?

you are just very gullible

WELL THEY SAY SMART PEOPLE ARE MORE GULLIBLE YOU KNOW!

how the fuck can you listen to music and read?
i don't trust the opinion of anybody who claims to be able to do that because your experience of both is diminished.
it's like those people who talk to you but they're obviously not there and thinking about some other shit.

>your experience of both is diminished.
you do realize listening to music is considerably easier and can be done multiple times in a single setting, right? Consumption of a medium doesn't always have to be a tedious academic endeavor, you spaz.

I listen to Basinski

I'm incapable of reading while listening to music.

ooooo this.

I bought the disintegration loops when basinski was selling them himself. I asked him to sign them and he did.

Have you seen the accompanying film?
It's great

Fuck off

you should check out takenobu.

if it's an american novel from the last 70 years or so i might try to listen to a playlist of period music

otherwise silence

it's not possible to enjoy music and a book at the same time without one interfering with the other. if you claim it is you're just a fucking ADD pleb who don't know what it's like to focus on something.

s-s-suck my dick

but if we want to be serious here for a second, then yes. Being adhd does play a role. Adhd brains interpret stimuli differently. having something in the background to focus on, actually makes it easier for people with adhd to focus on something.

of course your brain is different. because you've developed a habit where you don't properly focus on things. there's a whole lot of information that you're missing from pretty much everything because of your shitty habit that you have a name for.

Same, as a musician whenever I hear a beat it is impossible for me to ignore it. My brain automatically starts locking on to the groove and counting.

yes. That's why medications exist. I'm really glad you're here to tell me these things. Who else would I believe? my doctors? Pfft.

also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._farmer_hypothesis
people with adhd aren't missing information, we're absorbing information on a different wavelength. We absorb more information, but in shorter intervals. As opposed to less information, but in greater depth.

So, y'know.
fuck off.

I got into the habit of listening to music while I read when I was living in a dorm on the campus. Let alone coping with the noise coming from other rooms, my roommate's slightest noise would bother me (keyboard, mouse, kettle, ringtone etc.)
I don't go listen to Tschaikovsky or Wagner though. Mostly piano and violin concertos are nice company.

You realize medications don't cure you they alter your brain chemistry so you're functional. It's a drug.
You can take this the wrong way and continue on with your habits but it's a pattern that you can change if stop being a lazy shit. Read up on neuroplasticity.
>hypothesis
cool
>different wavelength
okay you're a fucking supermutant grats

>You realize medications don't cure you they alter your brain chemistry so you're functional. It's a drug.
uh, yeah. obviously. what's your argument?

You just tried to justify your made-up disease with the fact that they made drugs for it?

Look, if medication, brain scans, observable symptoms, scientific hypotheses and personal anecdotes aren't enough to convince you, then there's literally nothing else I can do. You're just an asshole.

you missed a line

excuse me- HALF a line. and I thought it was the emotion that was important here. "I locked the door"- unimportant.

Well it's up to you if you want to be a fucking druggie because of your laziness.

user recommended this to me in a previous thread, I've since had a listen and I like it. Thanks user!

Underrated post

Multitasking doesn't exist.

No. I am absolutely incapable of processing both words and music concurrently.

I do, but it has to be something without vocals, as words distract me. Classical or film music.

sames re: vocals. i try for some kind of minimalist electronic music.

I bawl like a baby whenever I listen to this.

Actually I can only read with a fan on, it drowns out the other noise with something entirely ignorable.

It ain't me

I sometimes listen to less intrusive composers like Takemitsu