What the fuck is this book?

Other urls found in this thread:

markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Self help, throw it away

>What the fuck is this book?
Kindling.

You are supposed to not give a damn about it

I see thousands of books about "not caring" in every topseller list I come across.
How can so many writers crap out so many books essentially about one sentence of advice?

I read it. It's decent, but not necessary. The real reason I read it, however, was due to the fact that the author had previously written the greatest book (by a fairly large margin) on getting women. Yea, you will have to put Schopenhauer or Weininger aside here for a minute, if you want actual success.

I know, this is Veeky Forums so it will get dismissed as normie airport-litterature, but then again, I have seen a rise in FA-threads here recently. You can't have it both ways. The ideal is not just to become lit, but also fit and socially capable.

I'd venture to guess it's because not caring about things is extremely difficult for the average person in the current day and age. People have this warped idea that they'll come off as rude or ignorant if they ignore their friends' posts on social media while constantly perusing it, so they feel the need to respond to messages, like posts, retweet things, etc., whether they're genuinely interested or not. I almost believe that we've reached a point where people have actually forgotten how to not care about other peoples' lives.

>people have this warped idea that they'll come off as rude
How is it warped? You do come off as rude, you know.

That seems contradictory to this current state of self-absorption. Most people are constantly busy bragging, sites like Facebook and Instagram encourage that narcissism heavily.
Maybe people are in fact so obsessed with their presentation that they wish they could care just a little less.
But even so, don't one or two books fill the market? There's so damn many books based on such a simple concept.

It's "reddit writes a self-help book: the book"

Normie

is mark manson his real name? or is it a pen name and he's actually marty shekelstein?

No, it is rude to presume that everyone should pay attention to your own life.

>I propose to point out here how this book must be read in order to be thoroughly understood. By means of it I only intend to impart a single thought. Yet, notwithstanding all my endeavours, I could find no shorter way of imparting it than this whole book.

>what is being egocentric

How can you even live life when you don't care? Isn't all progress made by striving for something you care about? Numbing yourself to pain is inhuman.

Yes, I guess I am indeed egocentric because I've had quite some people get mad at me for opening my e-mail only once a month, logging in my Facebook account only once an year, not giving them thanks for their birthday greeting cards and generally ignoring any kind of messages.
Ain't I so cool for not giving a fuck?

Retard, we're talking about others being egocentric, thinking others are somehow morally obliged to pay attention to what they post online and respond to it rather than just ignore it (because who really cares? Then again, I'm not reading OP's book). Believe it or not, this is actually something people get up-in-arms over, like most things these days.

Why would they post anything online if they didn't want other people to see it?

You're thinking way too hard about this.

People post stuff online, EXPECTING other people to care. When you EXPECT a reaction from people for something as mundane as a status update or a tweet, yeah, there's a hint of egocentricity there. Yes, sometimes people post cool/big life updates on social media, but that's not what I'm talking about; I'm referring to the most menial of updates. People EXPECT reactions for that, too. Everybody on social media is basically just waving their arms for attention at this point, and can't fathom why people don't "seem to care" when they don't get their likes/comments/retweets. This is not rocket science.

Thus, what I was trying to get at initially: people have reached a point where they need books to teach them literally how to not care. That is my best guess.

If you read an entire book about how not to give a fuck you definitely give a fuck and there is no hope for you.

Just goes to show how bad people are at figuring out their own motivations :(

It was literally an article stretched to a full length book. And it reads just like that. Just read teh article and save time and money.

markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck

>curse word in the title

Dropped.

manson.. easy on the fucks

>The ideal is not just to become lit, but also fit and socially capable.
only betas and women care about society

You are the one who is not thinking hard enough.
Of course they would expect people to care. That's the point of communication. You say something because you expect someone to hear it and respond to it.

Everyone in this ITT can go HECK themselves!