Do you consider Wonder Woman to be a greek myth?

Do you consider Wonder Woman to be a greek myth?

We're all well aware that Diana's origin is neither ancient nor greek, but that alone should not exclude her. The divine comedy came more than a thousand years late in a very different country, but its lasting popularity and compatability mean it is often considered a part of christian mythos, if not religious doctrine.

Likewise, Diana may be a latecomer, but shes the most well known superheroine of all time, and has been iconic for almost a century. Her status as a myth is not up for debate, but whether her pantheon is the justice league or the olympians is what I want to debate

>The divine comedy ... is often considered a part of christian mythos

By whom? What are your sources?

A better example may have been Paradise Lost. It's shocking how many people unknowingly draw their theology from Milton.

But I see your point. I've always thought the classic DC comics sort of have their own mythos going since the characters have been iconic for so long. I don't know that I'd lump Diana in with Greek mythos, since there are no cultural ties to the source and it's so far removed chronologically.

I consider her part of both. Many civilizations, religions, etc. have differing accounts of the stories within the same lore. You could also argue that non-canonical texts belong by proxy in their pantheon.

there's actually a study floating around that says that comic books are the modern version of ancient myth. We don't "believe" in supernatural and gods and heroes anymore, but it's in our nature to want to somehow implement them in our narrative as humans. Ergo, superheros. I believe it. Our compulsion to tell stories and, more importantly, gather around stories is something humans will never shake off.

If you could link it that would be nice. That's basically what I've been thinking for awhile.

I gotta be honest. As much as I want to tell you that I read all this fancy stuff, I usually just hear these things from some third party as a comment and latch onto it because it seems plausible and interesting. I didn't read it directly from a scientific journal or anything. I could post links, but really, just googling it will give you the same results as I'd post.

Gotcha, thanks. It is an interesting idea that should be further fleshed out, I think.

Not the book you're looking for but Grant Morrison goes on about this a lot in his Supergods book (which is worth reading for a number of reasons besides that), he also structured his JLA run around the greek pantheon.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I love Morrison's work, but I wasn't aware of this. I'll definitely check it out.

No one but comic book nerds know anything about Wonder Woman other than that she's in the Justice League and has a lasso that makes people tell the truth. She's nowhere near the level of the likes of Batman, Superman or Spiderman.

oh definitely. Human condition is one of my favorite topics.

And to be honest, these are the little things that keep me going. There's just something charming about the idea that humans have this inherent love of stories.

If you're a fan of his it gets even better since it's a bit of an autobiography as well, abduction by 5th dimensional beings in Katmandu and the time he almost killed himself through the Invisible reports included.

I just fucking love the Madman.

Ang Lee talks about it somewhere about his take on The Incredible Hulk

With what you said in mind, would you consider these other characters worthy of being branded inside "mythology"? Since they are very much alike myths of old, insofar as they carry archetypes, serve as example to actual people, carry underlying themes of life and classical histories (e.g the hero's journey), etc.

Sure. I can see the parallel between superheroes and modern myth, though I'd think something like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings is probably a better example of such.

Fuck off
Even if capeshit fits into some definition of mythology, it is still capeshit, i.e., shit.

>Do you consider Wonder Woman to be a greek myth?
No. She's a comic book superhero; i.e. she's a character in a popular form of American entertainment.

>We're all well aware that Diana's origin is neither ancient nor greek, but that alone should not exclude her.
Yes it should.

>The divine comedy came more than a thousand years late in a very different country, but its lasting popularity and compatability mean it is often considered a part of christian mythos, if not religious doctrine.
The Divine Comedy is a work of Italian literature. It's not actually a religion or part of a religion any more than Milton's Paradise Lost is. Both draw from religious ideas, but neither is themselves a religious myth or doctrine.

>Likewise, Diana may be a latecomer, but shes the most well known superheroine of all time, and has been iconic for almost a century.
She's no Superman.

>Her status as a myth is not up for debate
The only thing that's not debatable is that Wonder Woman most decidedly isn't a myth. As said before, she's a fictional character.

>but whether her pantheon is the justice league or the olympians is what I want to debate
Her 'pantheon' is firmly Justice League.

Stop trying to intellectualize your shitty preference for comic books. Even harry potter and hunger games has more substance than that shit.

Albeit not all that much more substance.

I hate women so much

Womemes have always been a meme

Strong Womemes have always been a cute myth for low-test cucks to jerk off to.

Why are you posting this again?
It isn't a myth, it isn't Greek either.
How could it possibly be a Greek myth?

Wonder Woman is nothing but a Jewish plot to destroy the White race. First to drag Americans into a brother war against the German Reich, then later to turn boys and girls gay to lower our birthrates.

>but that alone should not exclude her.
That's every reason to exclude her.
I don't even accept Heracles as properly Greek mythology. And why bring up Dante and the dumbass Christians?
Compare WW as cheap 20th century pulp addition like the Romans accepted Virgil's fanfic.

>but shes the most well known superheroine of all time
Isn't Sailor Moon more widely read?

Artemis

No, capeshit is a dumb consumerist hobby based on pulp magazines stories, circus strongmen, mass produced American celebrity culture, and in the particular case of WW a highly specific and visible lezdom and bondage fetish that her creator had.

Comics in general and capeshit ones especially are not even close to being mythologies because of their extremely limited scope, audience, functions, and layers of meaning.

An inexhaustive list of commonly encountered theories of myth would include social functions such as: (distorted) history, explanations behind religious ritual or characteristics of society or natural phenomena, retellings of collective and religious experiences, tools for tribal belonging, education. The societal role of capeshit has nothing to do with it, all it manages to accomplish is told in the following, as comic book writer Alan Moore would have it:
>"It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics. I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times."
For those theories of myth that would view mythology as the science and pedagogy of its day, not only would 21st century capeshit fail to be mythology, it would be its diametrical opposite.