Can we have a Veeky Forums film discussion thread?

Can we have a Veeky Forums film discussion thread?

I just saw Troy after I've been reading the Greeks for a while and fondly remember how one of my ancient history professors recommended this movie. What did Veeky Forums think of it?

in college i went to see that 3 hour long alexander movie with my schools history club, and they said they were going to pay for our tickets but they didn't and i was broke as fuck but i was at some theater out in the suburbs and i'm not going to sit in the parking lot for 3 hours so i was like ok fine, still pissed, movie sucked too, alexander deserved better, was troy actually good?

>tfw they are adapting Iliad into a series
>tfw Achilles and Zeus will be played by niggers

Also, are you baiting? I didn't see Troy but it looks like garbage that no serious reader of the Greeks could enjoy it.

I'm sure i've watched it, but i can't remember shit.
All i can say is: the movie starts with a sex scene, that's all i have.
Also, there's a big battle in the desert.

The movie was actually completely fine.
Also, what can you expect from the UK at this point, they're basically a failed country like Sweden.

another historical movie that sucked was that one where the guy who was an elf in lord of the rings goes up against saladin and loses, that shit should have been amazing but instead it was shit, wtf, maybe that one catholic guy in hollywood can stop doing mafia movies for a second and do a decent historical epic

>>tfw Achilles and Zeus will be played by niggers

Who cares?

Troy is too lowbrow for me to watch.

The movie isn't accurate to the Iliad and it's not accurate to what we know of the period, and what did they do with all that freedom? They made a shitty movie

I can't think of an adaption that makes me as mad as Troy does.
Where the fuck are the Gods? Why was Menelaus killed?
They don't explain that aphoridite was threatening Helen.
So fucking terrible and dumb fuck David (((Benioff)))
They just butchered one of the most beautiful works of art and made into some sick jewish fantasy.

It's enjoyable for the fight scenes and that's about it. They made it into an anti-imperialism war film with Agamemnon as the main antagonist (and not for the reason you think).

Reasons why Veeky Forums wouldn't like it
>Menalaus is killed
>Ajax is killed
>Paris escapes (like Aeneas)
>They shove the muh imperialism down your throat
>Achilles isn't religious (even mocks the gods)
>Bunch of other random small things

Youtube the fight between Achilles and Hector and you've watched the only redeemable aspect of this movie.

I do

Why? It doesn't matter. Both of these are fictional characters and making a movie of them doesn't change the "original."

but if a white girl plays cleopatra i bet you call your local chapter of BLM and plan a protest

I wouldn't care because I'm not a retard. Read Baudrillard.

protip for everyone in this thread, because i am a true patrician. the only LIVING directors worth being a fan of are:

gold medals:
>costa-gavras
>david cronenberg
>terrence malick
>jacques audiard
>michael mann
>paul verhoeven
>nicolas roeg
>michael haneke
>roman polanski
>werner herzog

silver medals:
>jim jarmusch
>alex cox
>larry clark/harmony korine
>lars von trier
>william friedkin

bronze medals:
>john carpenter
>ridley scott
>brian de palma
>peter weir
>steven soderbergh

if the names david lynch, terry gilliam, the cohen brothers, etc. you should just neck urself and take a re-roll on ur life

>brian de palma

did he do anything good besides scarface?

>Nicholas roeg that high
Epic memes bro
>Werner herzog at all
Literally nothing without kinski or Bruno

Filmschool drop out?

>dressed to kill
>carlito's way
>blow out
>mission impossible
>the fury

Nah, I'd probably jack off to her in costume desu

It doesn't kill the original, true. But if there is a possibility, I'd love to see a good adaptation of a book that I enjoy. And an adaptation spiced up with contemporary politics is not a good one, since it uses the prestige of the adapted work to sell its own ideas.

I don't see what's 'political' about the casting.
Are you not aware that black men are seen as incredibly sexy and handsome by white audiences?
Why is casting black men for their sex appeal not allowed whilst casting white men for their sex appeal somehow is?
This herzog is overrated as fuck. His documentaries are vapid and his films are just bleak and depressing.

Ridley Scott is a social justice kike, every film he makes has a quintessential atheist postmodernist faggot as a voice of morality despite it being totally anachronistic. fuck off.

What about Béla Tarr, Bi Gan, Pierre Étaix, John Boorman, Lav Diaz, Sono Sion, Andrew Bujalski?

>I don't see what's 'political' about the casting. Are you not aware that black men are seen as incredibly sexy and handsome by white audiences?
:^)))))))))

Is there any other career path for someone who goes to film school?

>his movies make me feel sad ;_;

Pleb

its not aesthetic

Dude did you actually watch the recent alien movie? It was soaked in Christian ethics

what's even the point then? zeus wasn't black.

The movie was great, it gets your blood pumping like a good action movie should. Some cool twists from the actual story so if you are expecting it to be a direct copy of the text don't have an autism attack, it is an adaption.

I appreciated the refreshing view and the joy of seeing the characters show up in the film in various ways.

I'm so sick of niggers, I don't even have a problem with them but the fact that the jews are forcing them into everything is triggering me and alot of well behaved niggers around me in daily life are suffering the consequence.

Zeus didn't exist.

Why not just judge movies on the films themselves? There's plenty of good films from non-established filmmakers. Likewise, established filmmakers can make banal shite too (The Martian, and Maps to the Stars spring to mind).

Your elitism reminds me of the kind of attitude I had when I was in college. Some five years later I realise how misplaced it was.

>not watching proper homer kino

I love samurai films

I just saw Dunkino. It was really great. Though the trailers beforehand reminded me why cinema is dead. And the adverts beforehand told me in advance that Dunkirk had a bad ending

Have you seen Kagemusha? I bought the DVD the other day. That's some prime Kino right there. Alongside, Ran it's the best samurai movie.

I'm not one of those raving Nolan fanboys but Dunkirk looks really good. Looks like the closest we've had to a great war film since The Thin Red Line.

Nope, I'll look into them though. Harakiri, Seven Samurai and Samurai Rebellion are my favourites

Are you referring to the recent Alexander movie starring Colin Farrel? There are plenty of movies about him, including one starring Richard Burton from the 50's or 60's.

I had a classics prof last term who made us watch it and defended it by saying that mythological stories don't have fixed plots, so it has just as much legitimacy as the iliad itself. She also said that the war as prortrayed in the movie (retrieving Helen is just a pretense for an imperialist mission) was a reflection of the invasion of Iraq.

I thought it was just generally stupid. It was not pleasant to watch

You're a fucking moron. People with your trashy taste are the reason I dropped out of film school.

Ran by Kurosawa is also pretty good

Give us an example of what your taste is like big boy

I care. I'm sick of Hollywood now attempting to reinterpret everything so that blacks are main characters for characters that are not portrayed that way.
>but why does that matter
Because blacks are not Greeks, will never act like Greeks and to attempt to make them do Greek things puts it at an even further disconnect from reality while shitting on the plot to put a different race doing heroic feats that another race was doing.

How would you like it if they made a movie set in Africa about some white guy hunting for his tribe? It's stupid. Stop giving blacks a pass because muh slavery. Fuck all the people who think this shit is okay and Homer would be rolling in his grave if he found out his works were being re-interpreted with niggers.

Phenotypically the closest ur gonna get to (actual) greek is a relatively uncorrupted Italian line, modern Greeks are absolute mongrels

I'm not saying I have great taste, I mostly wouldn't know where to start. I will say this though:
>Mann, Carpenter, Scott and other B-Movie / pop genre directors deserve no mentions
>Innaritu, Almodovar, Bertolucci, Godard and Roy Andersson should be there
>Jarmusch is trash
>Herzog is boring and full of cliché
>At the very least, Lynch is more worthwhile than most of the people you named
>The Cohen brothers are excellent, and you can tell the difference between a """"film buff"""" and someone who actually has knowledge of cinema based on what they thought of Hail Ceasar

>seven samurai
top-3 films all time imvho. top-2 maybe. kikuchiyo did nothing wrong

I CANT BELIEVE MENELAUS AND AGAMMEMNON ARE FUCKING DEAD BUT PARIS IS FUCKING ALIVE

lol all the people here shitting it because of the plot or who is killed

the main problem with it is:
in the iliad
>everything that happens is because of gods, and the gods are almost human, their conflicts, their feelings, their emotions are just like human's, and this emotions and conclicts are what drives the whole thing
>soldiers are brave: its because of the gods
>soliders are cowards: gods
>dog takes a shit in the corner: gods
>someone wins a duel: gods

in troy
>gods not even mentioned at all
>its really about a great fucking 2500-thousand-years-ago-rambo that kills everybody and dies in name of eternal glory

Don't forget Clint Eastwood.

Haven't we had white actors portraying Greek characters in film for like a century now? Why would this be any different?

To be fair to David Benioff, City of Thieves was excellent and he has made for himself the most patrician life imaginable.

Read his Wikipedia page. The dude is my hero.

The Greek film Iphigenia (1977) was very good.

>Ridley Scott is a social justice kike
>made into some sick Jewish fantasy.
Fucking Nazis. You have no idea what art is. It seems it's physically impossible for you to critique any of it properly.

Troy didn't even have Diomedes, the best person in the Iliad

I like to watch shakespearian adaptations, specially Polanski's gorey MacBeth (thanks Hugh) and Ian McKellen's fascist Richard III.

Cleopatra was Macedonian