I just finished the Iliad. Should I move on directly to the Odyssey...

I just finished the Iliad. Should I move on directly to the Odyssey, or would I benefit from reading something else in between, like critical works, or anything like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Hom. Il. 5.889&lang=original
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I read a few paragraphs on themes within the iliad but then just moved onto the odyssey.

if you have a genuine interest in it, read pic related for some more knowledge. if you're not, as long as you have a grasp of the general themes, you should be able to understand its impact/significance &c.

>(((simone weil)))

yes, it's important you get the 'correct' interpretation

how about you recommend some other works then you fucking nigger

Yeah just go ahead, there isn't that much connection between the Iliad and the Odyssey. Even if you didn't understand it in it's entirety, you will be fine.

The Poem of Force is a fucking incredible essay

I love this board

Isn't Weil's essay rather one-sided and pacifist? While the Iliad tells of the tragedies of war, it also speaks of its glory, and I feel like Weil missed that aspect in her essay, considering the context she wrote it in.

Eh, the greatness of the Iliad is that you can read either interpretation into it, but I think that while the poem is so much about the magnificence and beauty of battle, Homer never, ever shies away from the ultimate nihilism of death. It's not for nothing (imo) that the poem ends with Achilles and Priam weeping together over all the dead, both Trojan and Achaean.

Hit the library not the bookstore. A librarian will know more about the classics than will some part-timer wearing tight jeans and that ridiculous cape the fashion industry calls a "kimono".

I read Fagles's translation, too. Currently, I'm sampling Campbell's metaphysical approach before I proceed to Homer's Odyssey.

You're familiar with Hamilton? Bulfinch? They're easier to read and will certainly provide context. I would recommend them if you feel that you could've gotten more out of the Iliad.

>he thinks people are hired for jobs based on their interest
Hahahahahahahaha

Also, Homer portrayed Ares - God of War, as a
petulant indignant coward throughout the Illiad. Ergo war is in essence a cowards domain. Just like beauty - Aphrodite, that although marries an artist - Hephaestus, ends up cheating on him with Ares. Of course, the artist sees through the deception, and lays a trap that catches them mid-fucking.
Neither are punished, since Poseidon vouches for them.

All in all. Ares is a piece of shit. And so is war. Homer was pretty clear about that.
The Romans were the opposite, though.

Why do highschool programs always make kids read the Odyssey first?

My high school program didn't involve a single book.

>petulant indignant coward throughout the Illiad
No he didn't. The only times he came across like that was when he faced off against e.g. Diomedes, but that was to link the conflict taking place among the Gods to that of a family feud, between Athena and Ares for example.

All other times Ares is depicted as cruel, but never a coward.

>You're familiar with Hamilton? Bulfinch?
If you mean Hamilton as in "Mythology", then yes. I'm not familiar with Bulfinch though, but I'm assuming you're referring to his work with the same name as Hamilton's?

I was looking for something more like an analysis of the poetical structure, themes, etc. For example stuff like the ring structure of many books of the Bible would've been lost on me if it hadn't been for introductory essays.

Kek

God of war. Runs away from Diomedes, a human. What a pussy, as a god, he can't even die. Runs home to daddy Zeus and is scolded by Zeus in Iliad book V , line 890. perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Hom. Il. 5.889&lang=original

>[890] Most hateful to me art thou of all gods that hold Olympus, for ever is strife dear to thee and wars and fightings. Thou hast the unbearable, unyielding spirit of thy mother, even of Hera; her can I scarce control by my words. Wherefore it is by her promptings, meseems, that thou sufferest thus. [895] Howbeit I will no longer endure that thou shouldest be in pain, for thou art mine offspring, and it was to me that thy mother bare thee; but wert thou born of any other god, thus pestilent as thou art, then long ere this hadst thou been lower than the sons of heaven.”

He runs away from Diomedes when he's supported by Athena, like I mentioned.

>A god of war runs away

Isn't a coward.

I'm British and I didn't even read Shakespeare at school. I'm shocked that US high schools make their pupils read Homer.

Really? I went to a good highschool so maybe that was why but we read half of Shakespeare works, and a plethora of other books for classes.

My English honors class involved a new book every 2 weeks.

This was back in the mid/late 2000's.

I say just read the Odyssey.
For afterward read this

Because its easier. Fewer names, fewer historical events, more clear-cut themes.

>Currently, I'm sampling Campbell's metaphysical approach
Which of his works are you referring to?

Read the Odyssey. Anything in between would be just supplementary. But if you're interested in classic literature, read Sophocles' Three Theban Plays afterwards.

Those two serve as an ideal overview. Bulfinch's Mythology was the standard for over a century before Hamilton.

Or you can get the big torrent from the Teaching Company. They have a course for what seems like everything and the professors actually list their sources in the booklet, along with supplementary or essential reading.

For themes I just Cliff/Sparknotes that shit beforehand. Less expensive than a "101" college course.

The Hero with A Thousand Faces, at the moment. I've been wanting to read it for years but for a totally different reason (Wagner's Sigfried).

Is the Samuel Butler translation alright?

>Those two serve as an ideal overview. Bulfinch's Mythology was the standard for over a century before Hamilton.
I already read Hamilton before going into the Iliad. Should I read Bulfinch as well?

Obsolete if you've read her, my man. It doesn't go into poetical structure or themes. He's the 19th century Hamilton and I think he's worth reading for that reason alone.

Proverbs are included wherever relevant. It's not as detailed but it's edgier. Note well that this was a time when classical mythology was part of the specialized knowledge of the privileged minority.

Well are there any books that go into the poetical structure and themes then? I understand most of the themes, and I think I get at least part of the structure, but it would still be nice to read something written by someone reputable.

Read some commentary on it. There's a lot of nuance in Homer that doesn't directly cross into our time. It's so much more interesting than you realize.

Which commentary though?