The Cthulhu Mythos

Anons of Veeky Forums, I want to get into the Cthulhu Mythos, I was going to say Lovecraft but I know there are tales of the mythos written by other authors like The King in Yellow. Is there a compilation book with all of the stories independent of the authors? If not, where can I find a list of these works not written by Lovecraft himself?

Other urls found in this thread:

cthulhufiles.com/cthabib.htm
cthulhufiles.com/
hplovecraft.com/
youtube.com/channel/UCe8jtK68pRRd195EBz8YiVQ
amazon.com/Yellow-Stories-Mystery-Detective-Fiction/dp/0486437507
youtube.com/watch?v=LdJwGm5VPoY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

shameless bump, I want to get into mythos but Idk where to start

Start with Lovecraft.

Don't ask us, just google it.

> a board about literature where you can't ask about literature
truly the master of ruse

this. use this op:

>Yog-Sothothery

this, the his "Circle"

Just read complete narrative or shit like that mang

OP here

I actually did and I learned that all those "complete H.P. Lovecraft collection" books are not actually complete so there's probably not a compilation of the entire mythos including the contributions by other authors

I'm already started. I've read Dagon,
The Call of Cthulhu, Píckman's model, The music of Erich Zann in a pocket collection. Thanks for the chart anyway, it'll probably help anyone who's using this thread for guidance

I think I'll just follow the Wikia's lists of Works and Short Stories eventhough I would prefer a more official source

check "eldritch tales"

Outside of Lovecraft, Clarke Ashton Smith contributed Tsathoggua and Ubbo-Sathla to the pantheon; as seen in The Tale Of Satampra Zeiros, and Ublo-Sathla. Just get the Penguin edition of his works, they're in there, and more besides.

There are quite a few books of Lovecraft's collected works. Most usually follow a very loose theme, but if you're trying to find most of his works in one place, you'll likely be happy with pic related. It's only $30 on Amazon and it looks great on a bookshelf.

If the fact that that one isn't complete bothers you overmuch, you should get this one as well. It has most of what Necronomicon lacks, from what I remember, though Necronomicon is definitely more focused on the mythos. This one's most of his poetry, his walker stories (including one he wrote when he was like 12), and so on.

Also heavily recommend The King in Yellow by Chambers. It was written before Lovecraft started writing, and was a major, major influence on his writing style. Not to mention it's pretty great on its own.

*Earlier stories.

I'm a faggot phoneposter who still has the autocorrect crutch on.

This one has really stupid illustrations. $30,00 on Amazon and looks great on a bookshelf, but it's crap and just a reprinting of something you can get anywhere, even for free, it screams i am a fop.

If you must look like a patrician asshole, get the Centipede Press "Masters of The Weird Tale" Lovecraft, which is more complete anyway.

>Centipede Press

Not all of us have hundreds of dollars to spend on single books that are readily available for a fraction of that cost elsewhere.

>using the pentagram symbol incorrectly
makes the whole cover look silly

Here a bibliography recommended by the alt.horror.cthulu faq. cthulhufiles.com/cthabib.htm

Here are some fan sites you may want to read for more resources.
cthulhufiles.com/
hplovecraft.com/

To that end, why is it acceptable to recommend an inflated $30,00 collection of works that can be found online for free, and-or scattered among a couple $4,00 Balantine paperbacks?

The "looks good on a bookshelf" really got my goat. It doesn't. That particular edition is tailor made for milking money from the internet Lovecraft revival. It's never going to be a pretty heirloom like the Centipede Press collection will eventually be. It will age as well as a webpage will.

>That particular edition is tailor made for milking money from the internet Lovecraft revival.

Considering that it's over eight years old, from a publisher that has existed since 1927 (Gollancz), I doubt it is meant to milk anything.

Meanwhile, Centipede Press was formed in 2001 and seems to deal mainly, though not entirely, in extremely overpriced collections of very old stories and what can best be described as a liberal art student's perception of what horror should be.

And it's okay to recommend a $30 collection because, since OP is looking to " get into the Cthulhu Mythos", it is entirely possible that he doesn't know for 100% whether or not he likes it. Since he is also asking about a compilation book, he likely doesn't want to get them for free. Thus, I am recommending a book that isn't too pricey, looks good on a shelf, and contains many of the stories he would be looking for. Trying to convince him to spend over $100 on a book that he may not even end up enjoying is a tad irresponsible. By all means, if he wants to spend that much after deciding that he enjoys the mythos, he should go for it. Until then, $30 will get him what he desires.

You see, I am not looking for a H.P. Lovecraft collection but a Cthulhu Mythos collection. But thanks for the attention

That's great, one of the types of sites I was looking for. Thank you, I'll use those as a guide

Noted, he's also listed in the other user's links. Thanks

I assure you, the collection is not worth $30,00 and it is not an attractive book. I know because i own it; only paid $12,00 and even this was a rip-off. It's also not a good recommendation for someone who doesn't know if he likes lovecraft. An introduction to his work can be found online for free, and-or scattered among a couple $4,00 Balantine paperbacks, i reiterate.

It's 2017; eight years ago is actually well into the popularity of Howard online. Twenty years ago and they'd still be taking advantage of his rising popularity to count on sales; he's been popular since the 1970s. Golancz is currently a genre fiction arm of Hachette.

With Call of Cthulhu

youtube.com/channel/UCe8jtK68pRRd195EBz8YiVQ
This Youtube channel (inspite of the misleading name) is filled with great audio-books from other writers set in the Lovecraft universe.

The mythos doesn't exist in the way you seem to think. Others in the "Lovecraft Circle" (like Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard) would occasionally refer to Lovecraft's monsters and he would do the same for theirs to add some verisimilitude by way of the semblance of a shared lore, but there was no cohesive body of stories and certainly no coherent universe/system/mythos until well after his death -- and that was the work of the much inferior Derleth, who perverted Lovecraft's cosmicism into a standard good-vs-evil mythology. The obsession with this or that entity is misplaced, the point is how they are used to convey Lovecraft's vision of the universe and our place in it, and Lovecraft certainly didn't care about crafting a static world-system.

The King in Yellow was written long before Lovecraft flourished and has nothing to do with Cthulhu or related. Do you just want stories that were influential to Lovecraft or have a Lovecraftian feel? Because I can give you recommendations for that. The King in Yellow (or rather the first half of that collection) is great, Machen's "The White People" and Blackwood's "The Willows" are probably the best weird horror tales ever written.

If you're reading Lovecraft's work, be sure to read his "collaborations" which were largely just ghostwritten completely by him. They're not typically included in editions of his collected/complete works. They're collected in the collection The Horror in the Museum. I especially like "Till A' the Seas" and "The Night Ocean".

I know that RObert W. Chambers wrote Lovecraft-like stories as you mentioned, his books are expensive though I think, maybe changed, information is appreciated.

there's a cheap Dover edition of The King in Yellow plus a few other stories -- not sure if it's still in print but you should be able to find it used if it's not

appending a link: amazon.com/Yellow-Stories-Mystery-Detective-Fiction/dp/0486437507

Hello friends, I Nick Land also enjoy HP Lovecraft.

I'm aware of this. I know the "mythos" is not really a work of world building and it's better this way. What I mean with it is just those stories of "eldritch horror"

What sparked my interest in this mythos was, believe it or not, a game called Eldritch, tis a silly game(and I love it for this) just watch the trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=LdJwGm5VPoY

I've read Dagon, The Call of Cthulhu, Píckman's model and The music of Erich Zann. That's when I knew I would enjoy it

According to the wiki The King in Yellow is part of the mythos by the name of Hastur. I'll check out Blackwood, who's not mentioned by the site the other user gave me and the ghostwriter tales aswell

I don't think you were being unreasonable m8.

>The King in Yellow is part of the mythos by the name of Hastur
"Hastur" (as well as "Hali") comes from Ambrose Bierce's story "An Inhabitant of Carcosa". My point is that these stories become a "mythos" by the work of others long after the fact. Horror writers have long liked to make light references to their influences or fellows. That's all there is to it, so I resist the reification of a loose tradition of tales into a canonical mythos.

What I think you're calling "eldritch horror" is more usually called "weird horror". There's a really nice (and also huge) anthology put together by the Vandermeers called The Weird that you might check out, if not just the table of contents for some suggestions. Consider reading Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature" for discussion and further (albeit old) recommendations.

>Píckman's model and The music of Erich Zann

Nice. If you want the real meat and gristle of the mythos, you'll want to read At The Mountains of Madness. Stuff like The Dunwich Horror, A Shadow Over Innsmouth, etc.

It's good that you liked the latter two stories you mentioned, because so much of his best stuff in my opinion are his non-mythos stories. Try The Rats in the Walls, The Thing On the Doorstep, Herbert West, The Doom that Came to Sarnath. It's all good stuff.

Lesser-known stories like In the Walls of Eryx, The Quest of Iranon, and The Nameless City are also really good reads, with very much marmite qualities. (love or hate em)

Since nobody else has said it (and it's mythos, sorry for getting unrelated) The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Who here /arthurjermyn/