Reminder all the greats are obsessed with their craft

Reminder all the greats are obsessed with their craft
If you're not put in 3 hours daily at the very least, you're never ever going to make it as a writer or creative

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/01/arts.music
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>t. useless advice from pleb who never accomplished anything of importance

Having problems facing your own lack of effort, eh?

nah, i'm a genius. effortless reams of divine, mellifluous prose rest within this mind, within these hands. the struggles you prescribe are for those without unmitigated brilliance, i dare not apply balm for that which needs no salve.

Holy.... I want more

lot of the masters could go on for months without touching a pen and then shitting out a masterpiece because they had the kind of innate talent you will never have, and this kind of "just train bro you'll get good i promise" is just wishful thinking of the worst kind

mayhap someday a blessing will rest its downy tuckus upon thy wearied head orbs, my dearest swineherd equivalent. only vast desperation and whimpering could hold any sway in my sense of philanthropy. get down and grovel, at the very least it will please you to know your time is finally not wasted in seeking my work.

>lot of the masters could go on for months without touching a pen and then shitting out a masterpiece
probably after decades immersed in their field. I'm aware of manic personalities like Byron and others that worked in spurs rather than continuous daily labor; said spurs of activity more than account for their time away from their craft

>and this kind of "just train bro you'll get good i promise" is just wishful thinking of the worst kind
When have I said that? My point is even very talented people need ungodly hours of work before producing anything remarkable. Even an undisputed genius like Mozart needed decades of hard work before creating truly great work

>literature is a shonen: the post
some men, my friend, are onepunch men. others, well, they are simply left behind.

Gtfo. Your morale is making heave. Might as well quit now, Tony.

L O S E R

Name one.

You're wrong.

>i put forth an idiotic simulacrum of a scintillating post above, offering nothing but shame to my anonymity, the fading light of reason and truth within me a beacon of shadow to those whom i idolize the most, shattering my psyche and upending the toilsome ravel of acids that were my cast of Fate's bones.

the masters don't "work", they're consumed by passion for their craft, and if you need to force yourself to "practice", you're already fucked and will never rise above the contemporary mediocrity (and why would you want to add ANOTHER work of mediocre art into a world already overflowing with them). if you want to become immortal, you need to be born with the potential, everything else is self-delusion

Yeah, the "smart but lazy" crowds thrive on this notion that they'll somehow produce anything noteworthy in their lifetimes by sheer strength of their underdevoloped potential. Not gonna happen, kiddo...

Brian Thompson, you haven't heard of him, since you likely do very little original research or allow a thought to guide itself without the chains of your measly cognition. The man is a ray of bleaching sun, melting the fatted golden calves of diseased idolatry into an ingot of a purity without mortal language able to describe it. He was another of the effortless.

how does that contradict my OP, at all?
like I said, they're obsessed with their craft. If you have to force yourself to work just a few hours daily it's a pretty good sign that you aren't really that interested in whatever it is that you're pretending to do. So yeah, I agree

>some literally who
kek

>my jealousy runs rampant, my teeth gnash the green moss round the grave of my hopes and dreams

You said it. Passion. That's the key to genius. Love. And who is Love? God. Go now in the solitude of your room and earnestly pray to God for PASSION. Preface by sharing your love and thanks for him too.

>jealousy of someone I literally know nothing about

do you force yourself to breathe as well?

>implying being obsessed with your craft is equivalent to putting in 3 hours daily

You are not a great artist, you don't know how it's like to be obsessed with your art, so stop making shit threads trying to ruin someone's dream.

No one hear actually loves writing. Writers as we speak are writing. No one here writes, they fantasize. They wish glory, not discovery. Ask yourself this Veeky Forums and you will find a truth. Even if a single soul never even looked at your book, would you still write all the same? If no, move on, this isn't your craft. Writing is for the dark, reading is for the light.

I just spent the last 9 hours or so painting, and I've been doing that for a few good years now. Is that enough to you?
And no, if you don't have enough interest in literature or any other artform to dedicate at least a few hours to it daily, don't ever pretend it's your dream or whatever. It's just an affectation and you'll eventually move away from it it

>i am proud of my inimitable ignorance, snails and worms are less poltroon than i in the face of untapped data, shrinking and coiling, an ouroboros of imbecility
>inb4 snails and worms aren't poltroons
have you ever put your finger near a snail's eyes? never seen a worm recoil, flail with fear when you pick it up from the sidewalk to toss it into grass, hoping to save it from the clumsy bird's fateful fumble

your purple prose posting doesn't make "Brian Thompson", whoever he is, less of a literally who

yes yes, you don't like to learn. i know.

>spent the last 9 hours painting

Wow cool man. Now all you have to do is become a great.

>This is what people actually believe

There's just no way someone writes a page like the opening of Lolita as inspiration, and without 20 revisions.

>ITT: Incompetent Plebs

Different person here. What does great mean? Public acknowledgement? Prestigious decoration? Some men and women die poor and ridiculed. Their Work sometimes takes eras to bubble up. Nature is telling me you're a rendition of excrement. Heh..figures.

>Nabokov
Found your problem.

OP talked about "making it". He obviously has some sort of view that includes fame and prestige.

Total crap. You read and learn as much as possible about everything that interest you and then just start doing it.
Doesn't matter when, doesn't matter how.

I enjoy coming up with comedy sketches. I'm a shit writer though.

However I'm good at describing and acting out my sketches in person.

I've describes some of them to comedians and film school teachers and they told me things along the lines of "you should get into producing and writing kid".

But even though I want to, I also don't care, I'm lazy and poor and just trying to get by.

I'll either drift into oblivion with all you other retards or maybe one day put things into motion.
It won't however come from daily systematic practice.

>tfw I write everyday and I don't plan on becoming an author

this guy
he's going to make it

Agree for the most part. A 'pseud' is someone more concerned with how he himself appears IRL or on image boards than the consistent application required to become expert or even somewhat proficient at whatever task at hand.

Dostoevsky is a great and he was literally a hack who churned out novels to pay for his black tea and gambling addiction.

>practicing writing without being visited by the muse

litrally autism

I'd say I spend at least an hour a day writing. 1500 words a day is basically my average, but some days I get up to 3000-5000 words, and I think those are my 3+ hour days. There was a period recently in which I had about a month and a half of writer's block. A month and a half within nearly a year now of writing, and I hated it. I started a few books but just couldn't stick to one. I think I had basically reached a 'wall' that brought my creative process to a grinding halt, and I basically needed several weeks to recover from it. To be fair, for about 8.5 months prior to that 'wall', I had been writing/editing pretty much daily. That is A LOT of work, and it is reflected in the half a dozen books I released in that period plus roughly a third of a seventh book. Well the seventh has been released and I'm over 10% finished my eighth. I started writing books in late August 2016 so I'm just about at 11 months with 7 books released and an 8th well on the way, so I think my first year of writing, if I can keep up the daily writing, will culminate in 8 finished projects. I have some editing to do with some that I have finished earlier, and I also have many projects started that I need to continue working on, so I'm most certainly still got lots of work to do yet.

I do not aim to be 'a great', for now I just want to be a full-time writer, but I do wish to tackle non-fiction eventually once I get older and wiser and actually have something worth sharing. Life is a learning process, and if I live to the average expectancy of my country then I'm only a third the way through that process, however what is the first 10 years of life? Little more than learning how to function and learning the bare basics of the world around you. What is the next 5 years? Early stages of puberty, your body is still developing. 5 years after that? Final stages of puberty, getting closer to being an actual functional individual who can at least vaguely be a part of society. Ages 20-25? Your brain is in the final stages of development, true maturity is setting in (at least hopefully, likely not if you're a leftist), and you might be getting an idea of what you want to do with your life or maybe you're still figuring that out. 25-30? That's where I'm at, I'm still learning, still figuring things out, growing my understanding of religions, of societies, of laws, and I can't fucking wait to see what my 30s will bring me... other than an advancement in my receding hairline.

I look forward to my 40s, and though my body will likely start getting quite weary and pained I look forward to my 50s, to all the things I will see, feel, experience, and mould my mind to something more solid rather than the gooey mess it is now. I'm learning the things that I 'know' which are actually wrong, the things I believed wrong that are actually right, and I look forward to learning straight through to my final days. I know life won't be easy, but I think it will be a great adventure.

how do I get the muse?

You don't you are either chosen or you aren't.
If you have to ask then you aren't.

oh, so you're a faggot nice
muses are a spook friendo don't take any pill

keep honing your craft see where it gets you you're like a bloated carcass

>believing in this kind of magical thinking

thanks, but death is a spook

how do you release your work? amazon?

1. Have an excess of spirit.

2. Go on an adventure.

You can't summon the muse my dude. Anyone who is actually in contact with the muses knows this.
What happens when you think you can summon the muse?
You get memed.
Your first suggestion is literally just begging the question.
Your second is a formulaic meme.

parisians.. easy on the paint

I first use CreateSpace to get the paperbacks on Amazon, then after that's done it's very easy to get the info transferred to Kindle for the eBook version. Kindle also handles paperbacks but I don't bother with that. CreateSpace handles the paperbacks, and Kindle handles the eBooks. Not bothering with traditional publishing for the time being. Most efficient way to go about traditional publishing is with an agent, and I hear the only real way to get an agent is to have one come to you because if you go to the agent you're unlikely to hire them. So I just write and release. Write and release. I'll probably eventually release something that catches people's eye, an agent will see a work that stands a good chance of being considered by a certain handful of traditional publishers, and so they'll contact me about it.

For now though, I know of people making $5000+ a month via self-publishing, it's absolutely a legitimate way to get a start, and I'm already doing better than most self-published authors so I'm definitely on the right track.

I should probably correct myself; "I'm already doing better than most NEW self-published authors." Also when I mention a certain handful of traditional publishers might consider it, that doesn't mean they'll be pining to publish it, OBVIOUSLY. Some publishers specialize in certain genres, so if I write a certain book then that book might only be interesting to a certain bunch of publishers that an agent would know better than I do, and so he would know to target those with this book if he or she believes it to be a potential contender, if that makes sense.

Why am I keking so?

You remind me of my predicament. My sense of humor was molded heavily by the era I came from and a bit more. I was heavily influenced by the Looney Tunes, Mr. Bean, basically behavioral or character driven comedy. I am a fairly competent writer but I realized that the writing for some humor doesn't give it justice. For example, scripts for works like Mr. Bean and Ace Ventura for example may not really translate well on paper or at least look special (maybe Ventura could). Written works usually feed off plot to engage the reader. Rowan Atkinson describing in detail what his actions would be to make it funny is impossible. That's when I understood how important VISION is. To see what's not seen on paper. And to show what's not seen to the people reading, which is not always possible. That's why producers turn me off, because some can't see what's beyond the page unless they get a sample which is reasonable I guess. But there's many films in history that almost didn't get made because many stone headed executives lacked imagination. God Bless on your endeavors man!

I put 16 hours into political science and history but ehre I am shitposting at home

>innate talent you will never have
Like Mozart's innate talent of training since he was 5.

Yes. He started at 5 and it maximized his potential.
Its lost for everyone over 5 though

Mozart is an outlier even among extremely talented musicians. If you were looking for general patterns of what works and what doesn't you couldn't pick a stupider starting point than Mozart.
What is it with millennials always immediately reaching for the top shelf when they haven't even learned the basics yet?

google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/01/arts.music
Not the same guy but still don't poison this place with your dead dreams old man.