How do I start with Lovecraft?

How do I start with Lovecraft?

You read one of his stories.

Read his story's while bathing in blood.
Oh yeah, I suggest you start will Call of Cthulhu first, at least, it was this one who got me into Lovecraft.

Here:

>I suggest you start will Call of Cthulhu first
Terrible suggestion.

Start with Dagon and Polaris, OP.

The Rats in the Walls was the first story I read.

Read his early short stories. Rats in the Walls, The Doom That Came to Sarnath, The Picture in the House, etc.

Get a feel for his style.

I started with The Call of Cthulhu. I went on to read much of the rest of his works. I think it's an okay place to start

Dagon, shadow over innsmouth, and Herbert West are good starts, I suggest getting more familiar with his stuff before reading Call of Cthulhu and At The Mountains of Madness.

Start with his feet and make your way up his legs.

Read The Nameless City

Smile, Howie!

Start with 'On the Creation of Niggers'.

thats a spicy one 4 sho

>alphabetically like you would with any author

Nice

King in Yellow.

Can someone here familiarise me with the Lovecraft-Land connection?

niggerman

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

>Start with Dagon and Polaris, OP.
Terrible suggestion.

Start with the Color Out Of Space.

There isn't an essential order, just read whatever sparks your interest. The call of Cthulhu introduces Cthulhu, whom is present in many of his other stories, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's kind of slow and boring at the beginning.

Imo his best works are:
>The whisperer in the darkness
>The color out of space
>At the mountains of madness(You should read "The call of Cthulhu" before reading this one)

This never fails to crack me up

literally rebbit-tier

Was your first Lovecraft book this? Not knocking you or anything, it was a pretty good story.

>The Doom That Came to Sarnath
Starting with this first is the worst thing you can do. When it comes to his dream world stories, you have to read some of them before you tackle Dream Quest. The Silver Key, The Cats of Ulthar, The Other Gods, and Celephais are necessary in order to understand what the fuck is going on.

And then another.

Is there anything to the thought that Melville's quasi-cosmic horror view of God in Moby Dick might have influenced Lovecraft?

The passage I'm particularly thinking of is from “The Whiteness of the Whale” chapter:

>But not yet have we solved the incantation of this whiteness, and learned why it appeals with such power to the soul; and more strange and far more portentous—why, as we have seen, it is at once the most meaning symbol of spiritual things, nay, the very veil of the Christian’s Deity; and yet should be as it is, the intensifying agent in things the most appalling to mankind. Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way? Or is it, that as in essence whiteness is not so much a colour as the visible absence of colour; and at the same time the concrete of all colours; is it for these reasons that there is such a dumb blankness, full of meaning, in a wide landscape of snows—a colourless, all-colour of atheism from which we shrink?

You don't.

The Nameless City

But they're all short stories, you can start almost anywhere.

Lovecraft wrote about the time Melville was having a revival in America, and I've become convinced that Melville and Hawthorne are the godfathers of American weird fiction.

Also started with Call of Cthulhu. It is what got me into reading as a kid.

Read 'Dagon.'

Also check my trips.

>How do I start

with the Greeks