Do smart people read, or does reading make smart people?

Do smart people read, or does reading make smart people?

Its just a recursive loop you idiot.

Reading in itself does not have any real impact on intellect. You can waste all your time reading trashy pulp novels and get not one whit wiser. Reading will generally improve your vocabulary though, even if all you read is genre fiction. So even if you know nothing of importance and are confused by all but the simplest of topics you can at least give the illusion of being educated by speaking eloquently.

>Reading in itself does not have any real impact on intellect.
This is measurably false though. Even just reading meaningless collections of words impacts brain development, particularly at a young age, and also helps resist degradation of memory functions in the elderly

I never read books but somehow had a near perfect score on the SAT in reading and writing and had a college (beyond measurement) reading comprehension in 4th grade. Might be because of the HFA I have.

>he wants to talk about a supposed property without previously defining it in an empirically mesurable way
Nice meme friendo.

Intelligence is literally all memorization.

I think reading makes people smarter than most give credit. I think this "born a genius" spiel is suspect. Nobody is born clever. You read books and become clever. I think the older you start, the less impact it will have, that's all, but that's for literally everything. How your parents raise you/behave around you, who your peers are at school, how active you are...

Everything has less mental impact on you the older you get. Physically, everything starts having more impact on you. It sucks.

imo people have a certain level of potential and reading allows them to fulfil that potential.
I want to say that smart people are drawn to read because they naturally want to fulfil their potential to the maximum possible degree but I don't really think I'm smart enough to say that confidently.

>Do smart people read
Probably. Intelligent people are typically curious. Reading to gain ideas and insight makes sense

>does reading make smart people
No. You could read a 100 books on philosophy and not understand a single one. You could read 100 books on self help or some pop-sci stuff. What you read and the quality at which you read them matters.

No it isn't.

Unironically this.

Intelligence is a meme. Reading makes one complacent and weak. The strong create while the weak consume.

And the greatest creators of all time consumed prolifically.
What's your point idiot?

>this is what redditors actually believe
You need to go back.

The people to become strong learn from the already strong people who are farther down the road than they are, who learned from the ones before them etc... You don't just show up from out of nowhere one day being some anomaly genius that didn't learn from someone else and add your own twist to it.

Everyone is unique, but you can't do everything yourself. You learn from dozens of people who are clever in their own right, and you combine it and add your own twist, and those people you are combining did the same thing. This is what fucking everyone does. There is no extraterrestrial type guy, someone that just went into the woods for a decade and came out the end with the secrets of the universe, or the greatest paintings or music you've ever heard or whatever. I know that's a way far out extreme example, but it shows the point.

I don't think reading all day long is good, but not reading at all is definitely really bad.

Everyone you think didn't read, read quite a lot. It is definitely the latter. Reading makes you smart, and there are studies that show this over and over again.

>Its just a
It's never "just a.."

>studies
STEMsperg obsessed with old hags thinks he's smart lmao.

No, reading is the death of 'intelligence'. Back to /r/eddit now, Letzter Mensch.

absolutely not

why are you here

There are different types of intelligence

this is what I intended to post. Bravo.

Good post, good doggo.

Curious people read

Reading gives idiots the power to sound intelligent

Can you post some studies? I've only found a few, and none of them showed 'readong makes you smart'

For me reading really helped expressing myself because I've always gotten so frustrated not being able to externalise my thought process, now that I can aforementioned better I feel kinda smarter. It just sounds cringy thinking about it DESU.

It is a smart thing to read, and it will make you smarter.

If that were the case I'd be a braindead retard.

It's a tool. Use it. So are puzzles, working with your hands, dire situations that cause you to think quick.

Reading is a good tool because it causes you to engross yourself within your own mind and think in relative safety and calm.

Not at all. I've known a lot of people who were considered smart as well as illiterate

You have absolutely no idea what you'r talking about. Intelligence is how you use knowledge, not how much knowledge you retain.

Yes.

I always liked this quote by Charlie Munger:

In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time – none, zero.

nope and nope.
why read some one else's ideas, I make my own.
your born with it, you can work on it yes.
but base line is you have it or you don't.

reading won't change your baseline working memory or processing speed but it sure helps for other things

i notice a big difference with some smart guys i grew up with who never got into reading, just stuck with vidya or partying etc. - the gap between us gets larger and more painful as time goes on (im in my mid 20's). it's like they're 26 going on 17. back in the day we were all tuned into the same vibration, now they're still there and i'm somewhere else, its uncomfortable being around them because they assume familiarity as if i'm still on the same frequency as 8 years ago

don't fall for the STEM meme. or if you do, make sure you make time for milton and dante. the price can be high for those who don't

Read as in past tense.

>why read some one else's ideas, I make my own.

Somewhat this. If anything, reading more gives you a "broader horizon" for lack of a better expression. Things people are not inclined nor capable of elaborating on, become "available" thoughts to you, and you always get new points of view and new analyses regarding topics you used to discuss about before. It's not supposed to make you smarter insofar as being intellectually superior to anyone else, but you literally have more ways of thinking than people who never read.

Think of reading like you were opening someone's head (the author) and taking a peek inside. From what you've seen, you decide what goes inside your own head, but it doesn't simply get eaten up inside your mind: you process it somewhat and then it becomes your own piece of knowledge. And now consider that by reading, you have much more access than if you simply talked/listened to someone, or any other kind of contact really.

>ideology: the post

>Bump a topic to point out a spook

reading makes smart people smarter
dumb people don't read

I can't even

How can you use knowledge if you don't retain it?

Our thinking is bound by language if it's something more complex than "I'm hungry". Mastering language makes one more able to navigate thought.

>this is what STEMspergs actually think

How is that even relevant dddawg?

Mechanistic horseshit is STEMsperg thinking.

But we can't think without concepts and we can't have concepts without the words describing them. And this is as humanities as it gets, psy/phil/lin/soc, all social sciences stuff. I suggest looking into it in your free time, it goes deep.

That's all STEMshit. Humanities also need to burn, humanism is a poison.
>look into it
You mean read the baseless and disgustingly axiomatic assertions of ideologues and systematizers?

What exactly do you believe in? You don't believe that people putting in long hours researching and publishing peer reviewer articles have anything useful to say, then who does? Your arbitrary "feelings"? It isn't that way because you say so? Who are you that your stern saying so should be the basis for anything whatsoever? You don't need to change your mind on anything, but shit man loosen it up a bit. Thinking you know better should be a big red flag, we can only show our steps and hope it's cogent.

>research
>reviewing
STEM memes.
>muh 'stem is le objective' meme
Eat shit, systematizer. Your towers and your fields will crumble and burn. What matter is 'use'? Pragmatism is a meme metric designed to self-justify. Disgusting.

Never took the SAT but I also had a very high reading comprehension at a young age (YA novels felt too easy by the time I was like 7 or 8, I was reading college literature by third grade) I'm still a dumbass failure

d..does smoking ganga make me dumber?

user I hope you're just goofballing. Otherwise I don't know how you can bear such undisciplined resentment without developing ulcers.

>undisciplined
MUH STEM IS SO LE DISCIPLINED THATS WHY WE MAKE UP AXIOMS TO JUSTIFY OUR GARBAGE AND MAKE PEOPLE ADDICTED TO OUR TRASH SO WE RECEIVE THEIR MONEY WHICH WILL FUND THEIR ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION

user.. easy on the damage control

What damage control? You are the rapists and the thieves.

>your born with it
No.

>I make my own.
Then why are you being influenced by the /pol/ echo chamber?

What you have written is incorrect. I usually grasp an idea before I am able to linguistically articulate it.

>high functioning autismo
You could borrow some of his reading comprehension skills

>"I make my own!"
>reads and regurgitates everything /pol/ says

Wow, you people really do specialize in self-sabotage.