Helping Yourself Live When You Are Dying

This was the first (non-ad) result from my latest search result.
I've just found out I've got lung cancer at 46, and am awaiting a due date.
Here's some of what I just read:

"You have learned that you are dying. Terminal illness presents human beings with an exceedingly difficult and contradictory challenge; you are dying, you know you are dying, yet it is your nature to want to live. The thoughts in this brochure are intended to help you deal with this tension and to continue to live even though you are dying."

Anyone have any thoughts on death as I consume a liter of vodka? (mixed with tea and lemon)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
youtube.com/watch?v=UhfUWgUH6Qc
youtube.com/watch?v=4vKcxdVh5k0
youtube.com/watch?v=2kq-5kEPEak
youtube.com/watch?v=JhW1Spd4GlE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, OP.

Invest in some Yalom. I've only read his more academic works but I hear Staring Into the Sun is awesome.

Also, here's a quote for you: We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

Thank you so much for responding to me, I think its what I needed most.

I keep remembering the poem "Do not go gentle into that good night."
I read it so many times before I knew and thought it was so profound.

I'm sorry Dad.
I wanted to be there for you, but I just never had the time.

I'm sorry strangers, I just wanted my apology to exist in the universe, don't let the inevitable ever bring you down, even if some user is sad now, I lived a hell of a life.

sorry to hear that user :'(

Death is not the opposite of life, death is the opposite of birth. Life and death are a huge fucking mystery and you're part of that mystery no matter what happens next, user.

I'm sorry to hear that, user. In any case, death is not something that should make you upset. Embrace it.

Can you do me a favour before you go, user? Can you go to YouTube or spotify or whatever and listen to Grateful Dead. Pick a song:

Attics of my Life
Box of Rain
Stella Blue
Ship of Fools

And perhaps most important to consider... Black Peter.

>Do not then consider life a thing of any value. For look at the immensity of time behind thee, and to the time which is before thee, another boundless space. In this infinity then what is the difference between him who lives three days and him who lives three generations?

In the final analysis, OP, the rest of us are also dying and not long after you're gone we'll be gone too. The difference is that we can fool ourselves with the illusion that death is a long way off (it never is).

You at least are spared the illusion for a while, you are confronted with your own mortality and will see things more clearly in your remaining time than we can.

I've come to a similar line of thought. Work is slowly killing me via the stuff I inhale. I can't find a new job for a long complicated reason.

My health has been going on me in the past year and my vitality has dropped to very slim

Sorry to hear op though. I'll say a prayer for you

Ask about angiogensis procedures.
>Once a tumor grows to a certain size, it needs nutrients and oxygen from the blood to grow and spread.
The idea being to cut off the supply of sustenance it needs to grow, it may shrink and die off.

Also I don't know how much this will affect a form of cancer but, when you're up shit creek then any possible remedy might be worth a try even if it's in vain? It's not like it will kill you any faster. Try practicing 2-4 days water fasts.
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

Smoke a pack of cigarettes, free climb a cliff, get drunk with strangers, eat some interesting food.
I know it's not a direct parallel, but I was in the military, and doing those sorts of things kind of helped.

You're almost there, user. You're almost made it.

>user juzt hold your breath and maybe the cancer dies

I think this user has it together. If I were to die I would try to savour every moment. Go on a trip somewhere with friends, get drunk, do crazy stuff. At 25 I haven't seen nearly as much as you, OP, but I trust that there are some experiences you enjoy.

Also try and mend past wrongs wherever you can. I wouldn't wanna go out of this world with unfinished business.

PRETEND YOU HAVE TB AND GO FULL BELLE EPOQUE DECADENT. You might have to shout drunken poetry at strangers and wear silk, but even Byron's gonna be jelly of your lung disease.

Everyone saying "go crazy! do what you've always wanted to do!" is speaking from a viewpoint of vanity, of not thinking they're close to death. If you think you're going to die soon, the last thing you wanna do is piss people off and embarrass yourself. You want to make all the people around you happy and tell them and show them how much you love them. There are some things more important than, "Get drunk and go skydiving, bruh!"

Sorry to hear about it, OP. Everyone's gotta go some time. At least you have the dignity of perhaps knowing about how long you have to live, and thus preparing yourself and reviewing your life accordingly. God bless.

This.

OP, read Beowulf if you haven't already, and then read Grendel.

OP, I recommend you listen to Restart by OZMA. It'll make you feel good, I promise.

I'll say a prayer for you as well

I'll not waste your time.

Tell your people you love them. Don't share the cancer story unless you want to be treated differently. Go to a college bar, strip club or bath house and get some of that good good. Hire a pro. Take a train and read the Enchiridion of Epictetus. Get off the train and spend some days in the wonder there: Grand Canyon, the Pacific, or National Mall. When aesthetic desires are sated and you are home again, set your eyes to theology. You are taking another vacation.

youtube.com/watch?v=UhfUWgUH6Qc

youtube.com/watch?v=4vKcxdVh5k0

youtube.com/watch?v=2kq-5kEPEak

youtube.com/watch?v=JhW1Spd4GlE

>Anyone have any thoughts on death as I consume a liter of vodka? (mixed with tea and lemon)

My father died of cancer when I was a young man. He was shit. Left when I was 2 and mom was carrying my brother. Never saw him again until he needed some tax paperwork when I was 14. Didn't see him for another twelve years, when he had only days left in hospice. He was a complete shit, but I'm grateful I was there to see him go. I felt rage at never having resolved anything with him. You have time. Don't be him.

>46
You old motherfucker.
If it makes you feel any better I'm a 21 year old who plans to kill himself once I finish my reading list in a few years.
Maybe you are a cunt or whatever but I don't care, I'd give you my life just to get rid of it.

what a waste of time

we're living in an age where getting poon is considered the pinnacle of success and the highest achievment.
you're taste in music is shit and no one gives a fuck about your family

hey OP, take a heroic dose of magic mushrooms and touch the godhead

Well OP, I had a really bad day today - I have a debilitating leg injury that has prevented me from exercising properly for over two years, and I cried for a long time over it today. But then I read what you have written here, this little premature epitaph of yours, and I find myself humbled. Thank you for that.

I like this advice. Not OP