Theology

Im reading the Bible for the first time. What supplemental material or works of theology should i read along with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/New-Testament-Historical-Introduction-Christian/dp/0199757534
chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8165
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 1&version=NABRE
net.bible.org/#!bible/Genesis 1:1
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Oxford annotated nrsv has great notes on the texts.
Googling your questions is also a good practice, considering the Bible is the most critically studied work on the shelf.
Also on YouTube there's a series called The Bible Project thats essentially an animated crash course for every book in the Bible; it's surprisingly good. I'd watch each video after finishing the respective book

>An animated crash course
>Surprisingly good
pick one

The Church Fathers preferably. Justin Martyr (Conversation with Trifun), Athanasius of Alexandria (Against Arians), st. Augustine (his commentaries on the Gospels for example), commentaries on the gospels of st. Thomas Aquinas, Jesus of Nazareth trilogy by Benedict XVI.

You Can Understand the Bible
Three Philosophies of Life
Handbook of Christian Apologetics
Christianity for Modern Pagans
A Summa of the Summa
I Burned for Your Peace
Neo-Scholastic Essays

amazon.com/New-Testament-Historical-Introduction-Christian/dp/0199757534

I have to recommend Girard's work (The Scapegoat or I saw Satan fall like lighting are both good introductory works). For a jewish perspective Goodhart's The prophetic law is excellent. Goodhart's frequently references Buber's Prophetic faith, which is slightly different, but also very good.

Monitoring thread for further commentary/theology on the Tanakh.

The Oxford Annotated Bible isn't theology, It's secular biblical criticism, It won't help you understand the philosophy behind Christianity.

It'll help you argue to your boyfriend that Paul wasn't referring to homosexual couples though.

You can read Rashi's commentary online for free if you want a traditional jewish take

chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/8165

Also, the NABRE has excellent footnotes that you can read for free via Bible Gateway

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 1&version=NABRE

The NET Bible comes with a full set of annotations

net.bible.org/#!bible/Genesis 1:1

For videos, you can't go wrong with the Open Yale courses on the Old and New Testaments

oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Get "Enchiridion symbolorum, definitionum et declarationum de rebus fidei et morum".

>NABRE
>nrsv
I don't even have a image capable of expressing my disgust at you guys.

>you can't go wrong with the Open Yale courses on the Old and New Testaments
Apart from the New testament course is taught by a literally who professor that believes Jesus was crucified because he was apart of a gay Jewish terrorist cell and makes retarded claims like the trinity isn't featured in the bible.

His pet theories aren't in the Yale course, but I take your point. And the trinity isn't explicitly in the NT, though of course it's based on readings of the NT.

What bible do y'all rec?

I'm thinking about ordering the New American Revised.

Ignatius Bible which uses the RSVCE2

May not be quite what you're looking for, but I just read Jung's "Answer to Job" which gives a very interesting take on the 'evolution' of God in the Bible. It's given me a better (or at least a fresh) understanding of certain stories.

what do you recommend

KJV is the only way to go

Why dont you start with the sticky?

We have a board specifically for religion

kill yourself my dude
Depends on your denomination. If you're like me, then Douay-Rheims is the best way to go. Otherwise New American Revised is a safe bet