/Stack/ Thread

Stack thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Smug liberal retard posters and their bait.

>The painted bird

Didnt even want to buy books today but local bookstore had an insane offer so I bought 11
(20€)

>being this Patrician

>Murakami & Demons

My dude!

Oh not that Murakami. That book seems neat though, will have to check it out!

>Demons, The Gulag Archipelago
My_nigga.jpg

>Trevor Noah
Stopped reading right there

Got these.
Leftmost is a collection of Chinese tales,dramas and short stories.(They were translated by the same person, hence his name on the cover.)
Middle one is "The Republic of Wine" by Mo Yan.
And the rightmost one is War and War by Krasznahorkai.

>Mo Yan.
Nice to see someone else with his work. Good interesting pick ups.

My copy of The Gulag Archipelago V1 still hasn't arrived.

Today's bookstore haul. I still need to buy the first Don Juan.

>carlos castañeda
my nugga

Can I just read what I have or do I need to read "The Teachings of Don Juan" first?

My friend bought these as a gift for me. I now have most of the core Faulkner books and his collected short stories.

Cool stack bro.

Non fiction stack from last couple of months.

how sorted am i?

cringe

>The Freud reader
>Edited by Peter Gay
Ebin :D

not the worst choices

Judging by the first few pages it's pretty funny and lighthearted, if I may say that.
Not something I expected from something described as "post-modern".
It was one of those "what can go wrong?" purchases. Old Chinese literature becomes samey after a while, there are a lot of tropes. Not to say it's bad, it is rather comfortable to read actually, the "bureaucrat doing stuff" resonates with me, but it gets a bit tiresome, so I lay it down for a bit.

>rothbard
nice choice

>stawberries with the Führer
I rate you total-pol-pleb/10

>naomi klein
top kek

i meant it for the next post**

>soylent
you got scammed

big fan of your show, james

>murakami
>trevor noah
>soylent aka generic all-purpose tranny feed

When's the transition?

Frolic is his best book

Rate my humble stack

>Krúdy Gyula
Never knew he got translated.
Strange to see.

Not a stack
just lock me up and throw away the key senpai

Got into reading in earnest only this year. How am I doing?

>Trump book
>Needing an actual paper guide in 2017
I'd say 6.5 out of 10, Understanding Comics is really cool, and you have some good stuff there.

how much did that milkbottle h cost you?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gay

Grapes of Wrath might be the best thing I'll read this year

That Quixote looks kinda small, is it a condensed edition or maybe just part 1 or 2 alone?

It's just insanely small font. About 600 pages

>How to Read a Book
lol I have this stashed away so I don't look like a dummy

really juggling those 4 dune books eh user?

Nice, don't listen to the nu males

About 25 eur inc shipping I believe

It's not that expensive, try bookfinder.com

Where do you get Bantam classics? The only ones I can find are in the library....

Have you actually read Kierkegaard? I've always been interested in his novels.

nice

Nozick is good, hard to argue with his points, but you know in your heart he's wrong

Tы гoвopю пo-pyccкий? я peвнyю

certainly gonna try

i actually saw one of these books authors Douglas Valentine interviewed by a youtuber called James.

always appreciate Corbett's recommends.

>Reading abridged versions

last purchases for a bit since I'm catching up on a lot of rereads and these will occupy my time for awhile as well.

ITT: Pretentious fuckwits that think reading = buying the most obscure history and political books so that they'll be "patrician" on an underground web forum.

Just read what you want to fucking read.

who is posting "obscure history and political books" and how do you know they're not enjoying them? there are also plenty of uni people here who are probably picking stuff up in an academic context.

It's pretty well known that on Veeky Forums you're considered the scum of the earth if you don't "read the greeks", constantly argue about who was a better dead writer than who or flame people who read simpler fiction.

It's weird. I've been browsing Veeky Forums for years and it seems that people on here ONLY ever talk about obscure philosophical texts... There's more to books than Soren, Albert and whoever else you pricks talk about.

I'm always reading excerpts from Meditations so it never leaves my stack

This is the only Bantam I have and my friend gave it to me. My librarian mom loves them tho.

The sad thing to me is that many people (not just here) want to learn and become better people, but they have no chance against the overwhelming mass of works composed by the blind-leading-the-blind.

They want to understand the world and find satisfaction and meaning in life, but one can't just up and recommend lesser known works that possess the ability to lead the way forward. As Jesus said, "do not cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them. under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

They need to find their own way out of that pit of confusion. One can only hope that more people begin to wake up to what really needs to be learned, and that they find the strength to be willing to do what it takes to see things through (e.g. the Golden Rule).

You're sort of proving my point. Whilst, I'm all for reading for the betterment of one's self it's just...reading. It's not some transcendental experience of the soul. I read because I like to learn and figure out my place in the world (I mainly read natural history, non-fiction stuff) but I don't think I'm going to become a god if I read all of the most deep and brooding works out there. I do think that reading is objectively a good thing, but all you're doing is scanning your eyes across some text.

>I mainly read natural history, non-fiction stuff

your problem is that you're a pleb

Please explain how reading natural history is plebeian...

Just had a birthday. These are from my mom. Some I'd already read but they were thoughtful.

The bottom is The Wealth of Nations

Also fuck Coetzee

Right, the transcendental experience (and true understanding of the world) cannot be spoon fed through books, although many believe this to be so. It is most convenient to read something, agree with it, and have it shape your view of the world.

But unfortunately, this process does not have anything to do with the kind of transcendental or "higher knowledge" experience which provides the peace, satisfaction and control over one's life which many are searching for.

These matters are beyond the outside world and must be found within, attained by the various methods of internal focus that have been taught and preserved since ancient times.

Did Greek myth a couple years ago. Returning to the Greeks to do history

The first six are for a course this semester. The other three are gifts.

What's up with the book covers? Where'd you get them?

I'm jealous of that Lovecraft collection. I'll have to pick that up one day. Similar to that I have the complete works of Poe by Modern Library which is pretty sweet.

>Solshitskin
>Slothbard

There's an old lady who lives near my house who makes these covers. It's kinda hard for me to get Oxford books (and Nortons), so I buy covers.

>It's kinda hard for me to get Oxford books (and Nortons),
Why's that? Are they subject to an importation tax where you live?

Nah, I'm just poor.

Those are very nice covers and its nice to know they're made by a local old lady. Its good that you're patronizing her.

Personally I love it when I get my hands on an ex-library book. Especially the paperbacks where they laminate the cover and make it stiff. That shit is awesome.

leftists really suck at memes i thought you guys are supposed to be creative

Poster possibly does, but you certainly don't.

Is the gift-giver a Veeky Forums-poster, or did you ask for them? Either they're quite patrician

I know, dude. These covers have some flaps inside, so I write little notes and hide them there while I read.

No, and no. Patrician? You think so?

>novels

What

Read Plutarch late, and get the 2 vol Modern Library complete edition.

He's surprisingly advanced/difficult to read, because he assumes his readers are already largely familiar with Greek/Roman history in general, along with the broad strokes of the biographies he focuses on. He jumps from era to era, skipping centuries without warning or warmup, and if you don't already know what's going on, you'll be lost.

He's "simple" in that his biographies are not particularly complex; they're personal and moral tweaks of existing stories. But simple ≠ easy, and a lot of people get tripped up by that.

Also check out Xenophon's Hellenika (aka Penguin's "A history of my time") for his continuation of Thucydides.

>Rothbard
>Nozick
mein neger

The sad thing is that you assume I don't read what I buy.

Please only read the first 3 Dune books.

Would be friends with

I'm reading Plutarch in concurrence with an online course, which I think will help with context. And thanks for the tip on Xenophon, i'll check his work out too.

How do you make sure you read "How to read a book" correctly ?

I dont advocate for her or her fem/climate change/SJW activism, but Shock Doctrine is an excellent book. I couldnt speak on any of her other books as im not familiar with them.

>tfw too poor to buy a single book

I can't stand reading on my computer.

Libraries exist for a reason

What if I like reading obscure history and politics books more than anything else? You're not making any sense.

I live in a third world country and libraries are kind of far away from home but yes you're right

>Gifting M&M
My Tovarisch! I've given it as a gift several times.

Great stack/10. What is the course you are taking? I have studied almost all of those in the past few years.

There is a book that addresses your concerns, I cant quite remember what its called right now

You could always buy used.

Here English is, using technical terms, a foreign language, so it's English Narrative (I). We read some chapters from Ulysses, not the whole thing though, and we also read The Call of Cthulhu and Young Goodman Brown.
I haven't read M&M yet. What should I expect, my dear Tovarisch?

>dostoevsky
>solzhenitsyn
>liberal

>A Frolic Of His Of His Own

...what?

How did they fuck up that bad

Y-y-you too