What do you say to people who refuse to read or even brag about not reading?

What do you say to people who refuse to read or even brag about not reading?

they're right; digital multimedia is killing literature.

I cut them out of my life entirely.

Don't need to say anything

Nothing. That's their choice

who does that?

you'd be surprised.

by...?

OOOGA BOOGA BOOGA

I think you're mistaking startled for surprised. I wasn't startled or surprised anyway.

The negro

None of my friends read, very few people I know read.
I haven't even admited that I do beacause I would be laughed at.

If you would be laughed at for admitting you read, you probably need new friends.

>implying I talk to myself

I am so happy for you.

My friends don't even read.

My older brother reads, but he's such a useless person.

All my friends spend their time snorting crank and kidnapping people for sex slavery.

How should I get them into reading?

I generally don't do anything. Occasionally I'll recommend them a book or ask them for recommendations themselves. Whether they read or not, everybody I've ever spoken to has had a book that they thoroughly enjoyed at one point or time in their life.

Nothing.

go back to /v/

Suggest them Lolita.

Damn Dog

It's their loss and I let them know it.

I worked at a small indie book store last year during the "banned Book Week". I sold quite a few copies of this book to two main groups, older men and teenaged boys.

I sold it to the older men as a story of love and compassion between a father and his daughter, I made up some shit about a scene where Lolita gets mugged as to why it was banned.

To the teenagers it was the story of an older woman putting the moves on a younger man-boy and their relationship. The reason for its banning being, of course, explicit sex scenes.

No one complained about me to my boss probably because they didn't want to admit to having bought the book.

please make up a more interesting story the next time you post.

I have a friend who doesn't outright refuse to read or brag about not reading but he just will not read anything. I'll send him short stories and ask later if he read it and he always says no. And its not like i'm annoying him with 500 short stories every month its more like a short story every 6 months if that. I also bought him a bunch of books for Christmas and he hasn't even touched them. And once again no I didn't buy him infinite jest or some book normies hate. He specifically said hes interested in sci-fi so I got some sci-fi books recommended from /sffg/ and sent them to him along with some comic books and a book I enjoyed so he had a decent mix. He didn't even read the comic book.

So some people just will not read. I wish he had outright refused so I could have got him something he actually wanted.

I kill them or make them kts. Such worthless pigs shouldn't be allowed to live on this planet. They should be weeded out before birth.

I have a friend who's blind and his fingers were chopped off because he stole flour. Cocky fuck brags about not reading all the time. What do?

Most of my friends don't read shit and I prefer that to people who brags for reading Harry Potter or Rupi Kaur.

All I need are my books.

and your mom to support you

>talking to belligerent morons
>talking to illiterates
>talking to people

I say "that's stupid dude". I won't show disgust but I'll show this kind of disappoint that lets them know neither I, nor anyone else is really impressed by them taking pride in ignorance.

It hasn't made people start reading books out of the blue, but they shut up about taking pride in being oafs and in rare instances when they do decide to read something and tell me about it, I encourage them with positive reinforcement like " see dude! Readings not that bad, you just learned something new".

Sounds cringy, but it works.
I've found that the people who say stuff like that are just trying to get validation in some sense, vs. the people who are actually brain dead retards, who I just ignore.

I think they just mean books themselves. Which is fine, we don't really need them when everything is digital, there are better formats.

People who read books are mind cuckolds. You literally let someone put thoughts into your head.

Why is he useless? Support your brother you fuckin bitch nugget.

"Take away flat white"

Nothing? My friends are normies and party people but they are real supporters so it doesn't mind if someone reads or not as long they are kind.

Nothing is to be said. It's their choice; this world has been built on the backs of those who have never cared to read. Reading alone doesn't make you any better of a person.

Nothing because they're too stupid to change

I generally avoid those people. Or I look to see if they are at least have some interesting alternative.

After all, art is like fifth removed from THE heaven of the forms LOL M8.

The president of the United States.

>Why is he useless?
He can't hold a job for longer than half a year. He's smart (I think) but he fails all his classes.

>Support your brother you fuckin bitch nugget.
I will when he stops being an asshole.

>I am a proud non-reader of books
t. Kanye West

And my white friend, who is also a Trump supporter.

i would laugh at my friends that picked up reading for the sake of seeming more sophisticated.

>What do you say to people who refuse to read or even brag about not reading?
Have a screaming meltdown. One time I almost punched a guy. But I didn't, because there were witnesses.

Nod and give em a thumbs up. Reading is a waste of time.

Drop the book and pick up a hammer. Go build something. Stop squandering your life.

>What do you say to people who refuse to read or even brag about not reading?

i say nothing because being preachy about this sort of thing is insufferable. i've had enough people tediously insist that i ABSOLUTELY MUST read game of thrones or watch breaking bad or whatever that i never want to be on the other side of that conversation even if i believed that what i was peddling was better than some fantasy saga. there are many things i don't do, i don't paint, i don't play any instruments etc and i expect, as an adult, to have my choices respected without having to listen to tedious lectures about how much i'm missing. it's only fair that i extend the same courtesy to others.

I want to build a Reich that will last for a thousand years.

it will probably only last like twelve and end with all your cities on fire and all your women getting gangraped by russians. i recommend woodworking instead.

agree and amplify

I think you're making a distinction where you shouldn't. All startles are surprises but not all surprises are being startled

Tell him to read braille with his lips.

all kinds of horror movies and games rely on startling you without a surprise, actively building anticipation for a startling event etc. you know a monster will pop up out of the shadows any moment now and yet you still flinch when it happens. that's a startle that's not a surprise.

Carry on, carry on

Startling without surprise is an oxymoron. People ARE surprised by jumpscares, it just lacks substance. Surprise CAN be predictable

No idea I havent talked to someone about reading IRL for over 15 years,

I just don't talk to them about literature.

I might bring it up with someone who says they can't find the time to read though despite claiming they want to read more. I'd say something along the lines of if you want to read more, you could always find more time for it (the people I know who usually use that excuse aren't exactly working full time on anything).

Bragging about not reading is pretty daft but I doubt I would do much to try and persuade them otherwise.

> not wanting to admit you bought one of the greatest american novels written by a russian

Yeah sure buddy, uncomfortable subject matter or not, people talk about this book all the fucking time

Your 1 white friend cancels out the millions of democrat negroes, since the value of a single negro is actually net negative.

kek

Just laugh and shake my head most of the time. One guy got angry and started going autismo about books not being worth your time. I mean, the guy did nothing but play WoW all day, I couldn't resist laughing at him.

Why are readers like this?

Do you want validation for reading or something? Every reader acts like EVERYONE must read

ten dollars on pump five

>Waaaah the novel is dead

You can read bitchy essays declaring the novel's death from the 1850s until your post.

>Why are fit people like this?

>Do you want validation for working out or something? Every fit person acts like EVERYONE must exercise

Last year one of my friends got in an argument with me and claimed somebody who played league of legends at the professional level would have to be significantly more intelligent than anyone who "sat around reading books all day"
Engineers are truly frightening

I don't know, it's actually a pretty big problem in my family. I'm trying to get my little sister to read Marx, but she says she's not interested. Every time I try to ask her to, she tells me it's boring and that she'd rather watch TV or YouTube. One time I was so upset at her that I yelled at her and called her a useful idiot for the bourgeoisie, she got upset and told my Mom that I was yelling at her. I'm at my wit's end here. I just want to help her understand that the wool has been pulled over her eyes and that the only way of saving society is through revolution.

Kill yourself

you sound intelligent

Go back to /pol/ you Nazi.

pretty much no one. it's just a boogey man created by indignant special snowflakes so they can feel good about being a reader because if you're a pathetic loser you tend to be proud of the media you consume instead of the stuff you make or accomplish

you know, sort of like how the starbucks red cup thing wasn't really a thing. it was just atheists feeling good abou themselves

FUCK off I enjoyed it

This

Keep forcing Marx on her though. You're doing civilized people a serious favor.

I would remember that Plato was among them.

Socrates.

ur a silly nigrolosis

Nothing. Its their loss.

What do I care? People have different interests and experience the complexity of life differently. They might free climb 100 foot cliffs, play three instruments, paint, or perform in plays.
The only people I don't interact with are people that repress their will and refuse to create an identity; like man children that latch onto Star Wars and dont have a single other defining feature.