Enviro Veeky Forums

Currently reading a book on ecomodernism. I think they have good critique on more traditional environmentalism, but they seem to be just as ideological; there's cherry-picking and wishfull thinking. Still worth a read.

Any other anons reading green Veeky Forums? Got recs?

I enjoyed Ishmael
and there's always On Industrial Society and its Future

might as well start at the beginning

I appreciate any input, though that is hardly the beginning.
What makes primitivists think that a post-civ world wouldn't result in a neo-civ world but without the energy and technology to make it bearable?

>What makes primitivists think that a post-civ world wouldn't result in a neo-civ world but without the energy and technology to make it bearable?

literally nothing, kaczynski was a retard and only 4channers can think he was on to anything

Kaczynski isn't the only primitivist or anti-civ advocate though, and these sorts of sentiments aren't uncommon amongst environmentalists.
But as I understand it the appeal of Kaczynski is mainly his babble about the leftists, his edginess and only secondary his view on increasing technology.

yeah, his critique of leftists isn't even that strong if you understand 60s/70s leftist activism...plus his critique equates almost everyone with being just as bad as a leftist

essentially, if youre not hunting rabbits RIGHT NOW youre prone to become a leftist activist

Used this for at least one philosophy paper I've wrote. Interesting book.

I'm a Geology/Earth Science student, it's nice to read something related to my subject that isn't an academic paper every once in a while.

Not sure if this is the sort of material you're looking for OP but some books I enjoyed are Dark Ecology, Geology of Media and Elemental Ecocriticism.

bump

OP what is the book

It is in Dutch
So there's a different context. A lot of the usual environmental Veeky Forums recommend here is often American and not always that relevant to my own country. A lot of the nature that is conserved here is based on the agricultural past, though there are also a group that tries to recreate pre-civilization nature. And we have our own historical and public figures.

Ecomodernism itself however is somewhat of an American creature. There was a Dutch article that said the Netherlands actually already had a similar movement which got less optimistic as time passed.

You should be able to find articles online if you are curious about ecomodernism.

I don't think they believe that society won't develop again, but by constant opposition and regular destruction it will largely remain harmless

This for the most part.

But the exact triumph of civilization was its military superiority, was it not?
Feel free to prove me wrong

I rather enjoyed Laudato Si, Pope Francis' encyclical.

I will take a look at it

I quite like neglected gardens.

i'm dutch pls name it

Kill all cats.

Go back to your quarantine board: /an/
The title is "Ecomodernisme"

Is It Painful to Think? is good, too. If you haven't read it, Rothenberg basically just went to hang out with Naess at his cabin and interview him while going mountain climbing and stuff.

I find this guy extremely underwhelming. Maybe it's the translation or maybe the right texts haven't made it into English.

I read this a year ago. It was quite an eye-opener for me. Talks about non-native plants being invasive, take up loads of space, are unconsumable to native insects, and bring over diseases and pests that have already destroyed much of Burgerland's biodiversity. And related topics. Also talks about how you can do your part in promoting biodiversity at your own home.

That's why I am personally not fond of most gardens. Though when it comes to non-native species it really depends on the chemical and physical structure of the plant whatever native insects can adapt to it. There is research done on this in my region, and the insects are adapting to some non-native plants, like black cherry from North-America which now has more insects on it as the native bird cherry. However black locust has very few and most of them non-native insects.

The garden plants that are most popular in my region are usually evergreens, and these are indeed unconsumable to native insects. Think rhododendron, cherry laurel, that sort of thing.

I prefer half or fully overgrown gardens, and not too tidy, as these allow the most biodiversity. I don't mind a few non-natives as long as they don't take up most of the space.

(Cont)

Tell me more. I am always hearing about how hardcore he is.