What does Veeky Forums think of Peter Hitchens?

What does Veeky Forums think of Peter Hitchens?

/ARE MAN/

He used a quote there by Oscar Wilde and didn't give him credit. What a hack.

do you provide citations when you chat m8?

WTF I hate globalisation now.

peter... easy on the milk

Yes. I would have begun that sentence with "To quote Oscar Wilde".

>Yes. I would have begun that sentence with "To quote Oscar Wilde".

same

Superior Brother.

>9814439
best hitchens

He's my favourite conservative.
I don't agree with most of the things he says since I don't have the foundation of Christianity like he does, but he's opinions seem to be truly conservative, opposition to privatisation, opposition to drugs, opposition to modern music, opposition to abortion, etc.

Best part of him in my opinion is when he goes up on stage in front of hundreds of people and professes his faith in Christianity and recites prayers without giving a fuck about how people would feel about it or when he recited a poem.
Also he doesn't try to weasel his way out of the fact that his opinions are founded in Christianity unlike other so called conservatives who worship the 'free market'.

You can be a conservative and an atheist though. Schopenhauer is a prominent example.

Sorry but you are the embodiment of people who write comments on YouTube videos and listen to classical music because you think it's intellectual (you actually don't like it).

I don't want to be a conservative though, I don't share his values at all and if Christianity isn't real than a conservative life seems to me to be a horrible waste, especially for women/LGBT individuals.
Why would you come to that conclusion, yes I'm pretentious but I can appreciate authenticity like everybody else does and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I like that he's an actual conservative unlike the cuckservatives in the US who think free markets will solve everything.

Pretty flowery language desu. I like my writing abit dryer, more scholarly even. Just give me the facts not "globalization is a howling desert funes"

I actually went ahead of the means and read a Peter Hitchens book. Abolition of Britain, I would guess his most popular one and the book which pretty much summarises all he's about. It's a marvellous diagnosis of the modern world (he's talking about the late nineties but it's even more apt today - prophetic, even). It's a very hopeless read and makes you wish for things as simple as good trains and hand-shaking.

I found particularly interesting his focus on British education and how it's changed in order to criticise our past rather than show the good things our country has achieved. When he started talking about "marxist school textbooks" I groaned, thinking this was some sort of slanted nonsense, but then he really did demonstrate some interesting things about British education and has me fully convinced.

His books are usually drier and to the point without too much rhetoric, and I have no idea where this quote comes from.

Not giving credit where it is due is far more fedora.

He makes me fantasize about being a real christian. I lack the faith, but he does inspire me

Good to know this meme would turn me off him if I saw it.

I agree with him on most things, but he's so blackpilled that lot's of his writing just makes me depressed (especially his melancholy, ambling blog posts). For this reason I have not read, nor will I ever read, The Abolition of Britain

>blackpilled
I don't like this term, it suggests that his vision is skewed. If anything he's probably the sharpest observer in British journalism. If Peter Hitchens appears blackpilled on any subject it's more than likely that that particular subject really is completely and utterly fucked.

He says that Britain is dead and he'd prefer if his children moved to a country that has a better looking future, which countries do you think he has in mind when he says this? I know that he's generally far more positive when talking about Eastern Europe than most, Poland, Hungary or maybe on of the Baltic States seem like likely candidates to me.

He actually gets cross when people ask him where to go, and implies that you'd be lucky to find any country that will take you.

He likes Germany (because they still have grammar schools and it is a place where social conservatism is still a force, according to him)

He's also spoken fondly of Canada and the ANZAC countries

He also argues that the US is not yet 'dead' like the UK, but it is in mortal danger and has reached a sort of Wiemar era (evidenced by Trump, who he hates)

desu I'm inclined to agree with him, the level of social decay here is pretty bad and there seems no sign of reversing it (the 'Conservative' party has recently endorsed allowing people to choose their own gender identity at will and might get rid of cross-examination in rape trials). Might pull a Nick Land and decamp to East Asia (esp Singapore, which is the most classically Anglo country out there imo, along with the US)

he's a meme

let's all move to deep south germany and start a conservative intellectual movement somewhere in the black forest
yippiiii

He has no answers, not that he should. He dislikes capitalism degrading and degenerating everything but I'm sure he knows that a static society will simply be invaded by the degenerate high population rich country. He does talk a lot about war. Of course he dislikes big government communists.

I guess his "message" as a public intellectual is to focus on yourself as an individual and being moral.

He is a lone voice of reason when it comes to drugs. There is no drug war in the UK.

The real dilemma facing Anglo-Saxon social conservatism is exactly what you mention: it's ambivalent relationship to capitalism. Private property, and the individual's right to exercise it, have been hardwired into the Anglo's brain since 1215. This means that an Anglo-Saxon conservative finds it very difficult to repudiate capitalism (even Peter Hitchens complains of too much economic regulation, fiscal profligacy and the erosion of property rights). But as we know, capitalism (which England was the apostle of) is such an atomizing, revolutionary force that it tends to annihilate what conservatives care about.

In other words, the Anglo-Saxon Right might bitterly regret the effects of capitalism, but it views its alternatives as unjust and tyrannical. This is not as much of a problem for cultures that a less of individualistic tradition.

see you there

In the words of PH, "I'm not saying you can't be a conservative without being a theist – it seems much more difficult, I'm not certain I can work out why you would want to be."