So I wanna start with the Greeks

Advise me on some good books on ancient Greek psychology and ethics (primary sources and research works)

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Nussbaum-Butler-Critique-NR-2-99.pdf
plato.stanford.edu/entries/ancient-soul/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Soul
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaedo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

won't keep you up turning pages at night, but this was the book that made martha nussbaum famous.

Thanks!

Also what can I read about the views on the death in the Greek culture?

this is bretty gud, more tragedy & suffering than death

Wow girardfag you are also a reader of Nussbaum?

Sage :^)

just this one. a few years back iirc. had too many good reviews not to. i skew heavy on dark continental memery but martha is a boss. she's got more fucking awards than those north korean generals.

& she also thoughtfully put the screws to judith butler, which is arguably a thing that only martha nussbaum could conceivably do. so she's got that going on also. not like i'm hating on butler or anything.

faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Nussbaum-Butler-Critique-NR-2-99.pdf

going back to the greeks seems like a pretty good scene to me some days. aristotle did nothing wrong & i can into this perspective. it's not as Fun as nick land or whatever but sometimes you want to do something other than echolocate for vampire death squid in space.

Thank you!

Source?

Start with the sumerians

>validating namefags

>legitimizing namefags

(You) Being a samefag

Reading this atm. It's only like 100 pages. The power level is rather too high, wouldn't call it a starter book. Would recommend at least having an idea of what Aristotle and Plato were about, and being aware of Orphic cults and his history as oldest of the gods. Dude was basically Scythian Gilgamesh before being adopted by the Greeks. Read to see his heroic cred and influence in the early middle ages.

Should I start with Icke or Sitchin? Or should I read Mesopotamian primary sources first? When Nibiru comes? Does Marduk live in Africa right now? So fucking many questions.

I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to Veeky Forums, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive woman dressed scantily and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced an obese girl to let you fuck her.

>Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone.

Truth.

I'm sorry my friend, I didn't want to upset you.

that's not how you start with the Greeks

Dude, just stop baiting us with the hottie and tell us her name.

Milana.

why does nobody ever post this chart anymore

Because I need books on Greek psychology and ethics.

yeah so i guess understanding their history and religion is all out the window now, huh?

because it's trash written by a 14 year old pseud from /mu/ and anyone who has actually studied the greeks hates it

But I'm (superficially) familiar with Greek history and religion. I've read Otto and Kerenyi. I've read Zielinski and Losev.

>anyone who has actually studied the greeks hates it
Why?

>fellating namefags

(You) jealous of girardfag.

>taking off your name to samefag
Lmao namefags are truly mentally ill.

*removes own penis from mouth*
not me brah
*continues self-fellating*

*holds girardfag's head down to help him with that*

*chokes to death*
m-mah nigga
*dies grotesquely*
>achievement unlocked: live slow, die weird and leave a disgusting mess for the police
>aw yeah

Hottest thing I've read in ages.

Hey, you're actually pretty good at this erotic death stuff

that is legit creepy to read. thanks for what are probably going to be nightmares now.

Have good nightmares?

Starting with the Greeks is the dumbest meme that's ever existed. Anyone that's learned in either history, philosophy, or literature will tell you that going in reverse is always superior.

But if you want a historical overview of ethics go read some Macintyre.

>read some Macintyre
After Virtue?

He's full of shit. It's a good chart that is only lacking a good history book on all of Greece from Mycenae to Alexander the Great to serve as a primer, could maybe use a little more Greek literature like the Anabasis and some more Greek plays, the addition of Aristotle's Poetics if it is not included in that compendium of Aristotle's work, perhaps even a side-quest on learning Attic or Koine Greek. Otherwise, the essentials are down to the T, it's a good chart.

There's another chart that flows around that covers the weak areas for the most part (plays and all that jazz), but has a lot of unnecessary secondary source fluff that will get on your nerves quickly if you're looking for the juicy shit, and it is missing in other areas such as full coverage of philosophy.

Apparently that's what all the MacIntyre posters suggest you start with in terms of his works.

Good pasta

plato.stanford.edu/entries/ancient-soul/

Have you finished the Greeks yet OP?

I've no clue what's going on anymore

No.

>ancient Greek psychology
Wot

--->

I am disappointed son.

im starting with gilgamesh. then on to homer.

because its wrong. you have to start with gilgamesh first.

Source?

oh monsieur, dick in my butt ooh-la-la wee wee?

hon hon hon, mais oui, c'est comme une baguette!
I beg, zo eaze ze pain, voulez-vous que je mets du l'huile sur votre croissant?

super weird

>epic of gilgamesh
>greek

Does someone have the start with the Summarians chart handy?

I'm reading the Iliad but there's something I don't quite get.
Why do people run after the corpses of their companions, is it simply to avoid them being robbed or is there something else?
And if it's the first is it to bury the body with dignity or more like a "nuh-huh, that's mine" kind of deal?

Yes. No.

Probably to preserve the honour of the body. Prevent them from being run over by oncoming hordes/armies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Soul
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaedo

So that (1) the body isn't mistreated, (2) the armor isn't stripped (also for honor reasons). For the most dramatic/extreme version of what happens when your enemy gets a hold of your corpse, see what happens to Hector at the end of the Iliad, and how Priam and even the gods themselves respond, and how Achilles is judged by them.

Bernard Williams' Shame and Necessity is what you're looking for.

Thanks!

Newfag here, what do the line colors mean?

t. wikipedia scholar