Can prose this divine be learned or am I always going to mediocre

Can prose this divine be learned or am I always going to mediocre

You are always going to mediocre, yes

I am a firm believer in innate talent so my answer is no OP you're better off doing whatever youre good at

Well, great prose can always be reached. The perfectly divine, possibly not, but that does not stop man from trying. You though, you have to go outside to even try, user.

If you have a massive wordbase; and you can not only write poetry, but be able to combine the fine pacing required to attain a flow, in prose. Which means not using a real 'meter' or sort-of 'rhyme scheme' and continuously allowing the accurate detailing of prose to flow consistently.
As if poetry alone wasn't hard enough, he basically had the language base to acquire what was a living word structure

>You though, you have to go outside to even try, user.
elaborate friend, please.

Prose is easier than poetry, even poetic prose. This isn't to diss Joyce, because he's clearly one of THE geniuses, but his prose was only part of it, and I think if he continued poetry he would've been in the class of Eliot.

>to mediocre

You only gain divine inspiration from the fruits of god, unless you want to write a book about the internet and chans. I guess, a Ulysses about Veeky Forums would be good, but the prose would probably just look like shit.

Perhaps. But you do have to remember that the particular words--words mind you--he uses are so well recalled upon in theme, phonetics, and literal intent, even immediately, being spun tightly and yet woven out over 700+ pages. I've written fair poetry, I understand it and I know it's not at all easy. But I feel maintaining what he did was pretty damn impressive.

May I ask what has caused you to hold this opinion (which I agree with by the way)?

>May I ask what has caused you to hold this opinion (which I have homework on by the way)?

I said I agreed, not that I had all the answers or the same answers as the individual who voiced the original opinion.

break it down to sentences. look for those sentences you write that you especially like for clarity and suggestion of metaphor, highlight these and see why they work. Do they work well because they hang nicely on the end of phrases or paragraphs, leaving a good taste in your mouth as the idea ends. Or are you better with those second or third sentences in a paragraph during the little expositional period; and if so, why? break down your writing into instances and go further further further. I can't garantee you'll be writing like joyce or stein but it'll give you the awareness you need for the next step at least.

A high creative and intellectual potential that needs to be forged through hard work.

>tfw you're a shut in

I will never reach the divines, never!

I know I'm going to get shat on for this, but the novel I'm currently working on is in part a homage to Joyce's work in its style, except with the language base being centered around the slang of the New 10's

What it amounts to is me trying to make a narrative out of surreal imagery and one-liners that takes place in a satirical version of the Midwest. And while I'm really proud of how it's coming along, it's an incredibly slow and exhausting process. It can take me several hours just to get a couple pages done. But once I get in gear with it and find my voice, the right words really do just fall into place.

Editing however, is really what makes good prose shine. I think Joyce, above all, was just really good at self-editing his works.

You are always going to mediocre

Since autism is a genetic disease the answer is no

Slang style of the decade?
Are you just using chanspeak?

There's a big space between arguably the greatest novel ever written and shit, my man. You just want to be closer to the former than the latter.

Just go out ffs

P sure Joyce was a freak of nature. But fluency in Latin (hell, just a study in the Classics in general), a deep appreciation of Romanticism and the Bard, a unique/satellite but still cosmopolitan nationality, a fetishizing of literary heroes, a laymen's ear for telling good stories, and a lifetime worth of repressed Catholic guilt defs helps.

Not really, it just uses free indirect speech in the manner that mimics the rhythm and vocabulary of people posting shady exaggerated stories on the internet while keeping the meme references to a minimum

As a Midwesterner who is highly interested in modern slang, I would love to see a snippet of your work.

>or stein
You must be joking