Jack London

What can Veeky Forums tell me about this faggot?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=YGYZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q&f=false
mikecornelison.com/the-white-logic-of-london-vs-dostoyevskys-faith)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good books on doggos

Allegedy he had a ginormous cock. I'm serious. I read this in a book on literary trivia.

He was a fucking Chad.

Read 'Iron Heel'

He's a living comedy. He constantly wrote books to try and refute Nietzsche's ideas and everyone understood them to be an advocacy of the very thing he was trying to write against. Seriously look it up.

Martin Eden, The Sea Wolf, everyone walks away from them with literally the opposite of what London intended.

>Martin Eden, The Sea Wolf, everyone walks away from them with literally the opposite of what London intended.

Care to expound your statement, faggot?

His best and most memorable characters were those meant to assail Nietzsche. Take the Sea Wolf...everyone despises the ending. The thing that makes the story wonderful is the antagonist, Wolf Larsen, who London intended to showcase the faults of Nietzsche's ubermensch. But people love him. Larsen is a brilliant and compelling character., with such romance and beauty in the idea of him. And his refutation? Humphrey? Only interesting before the resolution of his arc, his evolution and 'answer' are totally fucking insipid and offer nothing to the real person.

To quote London himself
>"One of my motifs, in this book, was an attack on individualism (in the person of the hero). I must have bungled, for not a single reviewer has discovered it."
tip top kek

This only happened with Martin Eden, The Sea Wolf is an obvious refutation of Nietzsche.

Except everyone hates everything about it except Larsen going about being despicable and monstrous.

Also, here's a rare London

>Larsen is an entertaining character
>therefore people want to be him/nietzsche's philosophy has been vindicated

Mind if I save this, friend?

Okay, he got BTFO once, so what? Nietzsche was a faggot anyway. What are his essential works? How does he rank in importance among American writers? Answer me, faggot.

Not at all. In fact, I'm feeling generous today. Another rare London, free of charge.

>What are his essential works?
White Fang, The Sea Wolf, John Barleycorn, The War of the Classes, various short stories

He's realistic character, a person, unlike Humphrey.
>be a super rich intellectual otaku neet
>get lost at sea, be saved by a passing ship
>get shanghaied into brutal service aboard a sealing vessel where you're totally fucking useless and need to be taught via violence
>off the coast of Japan in between the crew murdering one another and bludgeoning seals to death your waifu who you've never met but corresponded with in intellectual papers and the like shows up on the same ship, she's also lost, and also rich and totally inept in the real world
>gets held hostage just like you
>you instantly fall in love with her and need to save her
>escaping from the ship in the middle of the pacific and manage to survive on a deserted island by yourselves through the power of love and drinking seal blood
>the ship that held you both hostage magically crashes on your deserted island because eventually the captain got what was coming to him for being a bad guy and everyone forsook him
>also he's sick and dying of aids for being a dick
>the two of you fix the massive ship and sail back home because you believe in Jesus and the captain doesn't so he dies
>once home you get married and live happily ever after even richer than before
seems reasonable

I will try to apply its lessons in my own day to day

>mfw I realize Jack London literally wrote a 20th century Isekai anime

>What can Veeky Forums tell me about this faggot?
he wrote for money

and he wrote trash

to build a fire was great

>and he wrote trash

How so?

I read call of the wild and the red death, the seccond was better low-key

Day had broken cold and gray, exceedingly cold and gray, when the man turned aside from the main Yukon trail and climbed the high earth-bank, where a dim and little traveled trail led eastward through the fat spruce timberland. It was a steep bank, and he paused for breath at the top, excusing the act to himself by looking at his watch. It was nine o'clock.

The man flung a look back along the way he had come. The Yukon lay a mile wide and hidden under three feet of ice. On top of this ice were as many feet of snow. It was all pure white, rolling in gentle, undulations where the ice jams of the freeze-up had formed. North and south, as far as his eye could see, it was unbroken white, save for a dark hairline that curved and twisted from around the spruce-covered island to the south, and that curved and twisted away into the north, curling up like smoke above his shoulder.

As he turned to go on, he spat speculatively. There was a sharp, explosive crackle that startled him. He spat again. And again, in the air, before it could fall to the snow, the spittle crackled. He knew that at fifty below spittle crackled on the snow, but this spittle had crackled in the air. Undoubtedly it was colder than fifty below--how much colder he did not know. But the temperature did not matter. He would be in to camp by six o'clock; a bit after dark, it was true, but the boys would be there, a fire would be going, and a hot supper would be ready. As for lunch, he pressed his hand against the protruding bundle under his jacket. It was also under his shirt, wrapped up in a handkerchief and lying against the naked skin. It was the only way to keep the biscuits from freezing. Laughing-like to himself as he thought of those biscuits, each cut open and sopped in bacon grease, and each enclosing a generous slice of fried bacon.

books.google.com/books?id=YGYZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q&f=false

Reminds me a lot of Hemingway, actually, but without the consciously stiff rhythm and repetition .

He's an excellent writer, and a man's man kinda fella. Definitely worth a read.

>he's a living comedy
>he's dead

What did he mean by this?

London's mediocrity survives him. He's even a staple of middle school reading lists.

Who loves Wolf Larsen? Are you sure that there is actually a large number of such people? It's a pretty despicable character. Hell, I read the book when I was a teenager, and I still hated the character.

>it's a half-literate sodomite dismisses an actual writer episode

He knew the true danger of the yellow man\
>London shared common concerns among European Americans in California about Asian immigration, described as "the yellow peril"; he used the latter term as the title of a 1904 essay.[66] This theme was also the subject of a story he wrote in 1910 called "The Unparalleled Invasion". Presented as an historical essay set in the future, the story narrates events between 1976 and 1987, in which China, with an ever-increasing population, is taking over and colonizing its neighbors with the intention of taking over the entire Earth.

That story fucked me up so much when I read it in high school. It brought back really bad memories of actual hypothermia.

>Who loves Wolf Larsen?
Anyone with a shred of artistic sensitivity.

He has some technical ability, but artistically he's bargain-bin level.

I mean love as in loving the character as a person, not love as in loving the character as an artistic creation.

He was absolutely correct. Australia is already turning and Canada is also on the way

He's a pinko

I like how he is correct but for the wrong reasons since it is PRC's belief that it has a divine right to "lost territories"(i.e anywhere china has ever claimed dominion over in recorded history) that will be the justification behind any attempts to conquer other nations and likely lead them to their ruin

>A more troubling example of irredentism can be seen in an article which appeared on the website of the Chinese news agency Zhongguo Xinwenshe (Chinese, English translation here) in July this year. Entitled ‘Revealing the Six Wars China Must Fight in the Coming 50 Years’ (曝光中国在未来50年里必打的六场战争), the article is another manifestation of the hyper-nationalist attitude seen within some parts of the PLA. However, that an article of this nature was carried by a PRC national news agency suggests that it was approved at a very high level.

>The six ‘inevitable’ wars suggested in the article’s title are presented in the chronological order in which they will take place:

>The war to unify Taiwan (2020–2025)
>The war to recover the various islands of the South China Sea (2025–2030)
>The war to recover southern Tibet (2035–2040)
>The war to recover Diaoyutai and the Ryukyus (2040–2045)
>The war to unify Outer Mongolia (2045–2050)
>The war to recover the territory seized by Russia (2055–2060)

>John Barleycorn

This is an amazing book, starting with his account of getting drunk for the first time at age 5 - a beautifully evocative, hilarious and disturbing piece of writing - and ending with his harrowing account of the "white logic" of alcohol, which, it strikes me, is perhaps not entirely dissimilar from Melville's "whiteness of the whale."

(Google turns up this essay that looks rather interesting: mikecornelison.com/the-white-logic-of-london-vs-dostoyevskys-faith)

You can't separate the two, I easily find him admirable.

>You can't separate the two,
Of course you can

aww

bump uglies

You're a huge faggot dude, Wolf Larsen was cool as fuck

t. brainlet

What's admirable about him? He's a sociopathic monster who would probably kill you if you were ever on his ship.

He is agency manifest.