I seriously can't read this book anymore. I don't understand why this book is so beloved...

I seriously can't read this book anymore. I don't understand why this book is so beloved. I can't stand this Humbert Humbert character. "Oh, I'm so eloquent and verbose, but I'm also a pedophile who pretty much exclusively talks about fucking this girl". Enough! It's so bad that I pick up the book, and I can hardly get past a single page because I just don't understand what the point of this story is.

In a book like Siddhartha, I get what the point is. You're on a quest for enlightenment. I don't have a problem with books that don't have a clear purpose, but this one doesn't seem to have much purpose beyond the "prose" and the drama.

I am not beyond having someone explain this book to me in a way that makes me appreciate it to the point of being interested in it.

The opening literally tells you what its about.

Humbert is going on a self-indulgent and highly biased rant about his pedophilic escapades.

I bet you're the type of person who needs to "identify" with the protagonist.

Honestly I have a hard time reading any sort of romance novel.

Lolita isn't a romance novel.

It's a simple book about a man being manipulated by a cunt. Yes she's underage, but that doesn't matter.

Like hell. The entire thing is him gushing over the girl and talking about the things they do together. I'm not saying that's bad but it's too romantic for me to enjoy

It's a book about a man obsessing over a little girl and her being bounced back and forth between old men like a badminton. There's nothing romantic about it at all.

why would you have sex with children

>12 years old
>children

I had a hard-on reading that book.

First half of the book: pedo fantasy
Second half: hard reality

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said you moron.

Not a denial.

You mean like a shuttlecock? I mean, you wouldn't say
>back and forth like a tennis
Would ya? this is Veeky Forums after all.

Yeah he got pretty cucked in the second half

I bet you read for plot.

>implying

that's why he prefaced it with "i bet...", because it supposes something, mein friend

Not even that. It's when he's finally got her all to himself, and has to deal with the typical issues that come with taking care of a twelve year-old girl, her getting sick, her schooling, and the fact that he unquestionably raped her and that she hates him and finds him dispicable.

Then stop reading it. No one is forcing you to read the works of a pedophile, the Monarch muff mangler himself, the man who rode schoolbuses with children "in preparation", the abused blowjob giving nephew. Just accept that the controversy is the meme, the author is a shell of the greater masters, ignore the dissent, read Joyce's and Steven Moore's suggestions instead. There exists a point at which you must practice your own volition. Cast away the book if you so desire. It's up to you. It always was.

>reading at this low level
I feel bad for you

>wanting to delve into the works of a pedophile
your literary analysis is top notch i'm sure, please, provide some non-juvenile observations to show to OP your prime mental capacity!

>I seriously can't read this book anymore.

Then don't read it. It sounds like you don't understand it anyway.

>REEEEE CHARACTERS NEED TO BE LIKABLE FOR ME TO ENJOY REEEEE
meanwhile i just finished and am sad that i don't think i'll ever read a book as beautifully written. someone give me some recommendations pls!

It's always a little irritating when poor readers denigrate excellent books rather than acknowledge their own shortcomings. The book isn't "bad". Your reading of it is.

jew gold.
also see jew gold buying all the rap.

I was 20 and missed the hell out of a girl when I read it, thought it was the best book ever written. Now I'm closing in on 26 and remember it fondly, but probably won't read it again.

He dont use the "n" work, thou.

Do you think Nabokov really was a pedo? it would explain why he was able to write so vividly in the mind of one...

Is this bait...?

Are you deliberately trying to act like an idiotic plebian?

An ephebophile who sublimated his ephebophilia with Lepidoptery .

jfc get it together would you

>drama
It's a comedy you dumb roastie