Daily reminder that reading isn't always fun but you can get through it if you break it up into small chunks

Daily reminder that reading isn't always fun but you can get through it if you break it up into small chunks.

but reading is fun, tho

>tfw would previously not read because "i'm too tired to read"
>tfw now find reading to be invigorating, so that "i'm bored/tired" leads to "i should read a book; that'll perk me up"

Clearly, you *should* start small. But once you're a regular reader, it's honestly fun and engaging.

ok real talk: I hate reading.

Let me explain: The stories and information I gain are a huge source of pleasure, and reading as an exercise helps me in other aspects of life, from communicating with other people to understanding abstract or complex ideas. I like what books *contain*, I like what they *leave* in me.

But the act of staring at a piece of paper and having to decode and recode a bunch of glyphs is fucking exhausting. It's EXACTLY like exercise: I don't really enjoy it while I'm doing it, it's straining and I sweat and am tired and sometimes it hurts (yes, even when done correctly). But I like what it does to me, and I enjoy the feeling of a session well done.

I surely can't be the only one who loves books but hates the actual, physical act of reading?

If you read one single page a day, you could read every single thing ever written in two days.

If every single thing written were written in two colossal pages.

There aren't enough atoms in the universe to make pages that big

I once read a googolplex

Same. I like having read, but reading itself has always been tough for me.

You're just a pleb who never got into it. It is supposed to be effortless, if it's an exercise to you, then you still do not have the attention span required to approach this medium on your own terms.
So keep doing that, treat it as an exercise, and just know the real reason for which reading is an hassle: because you are a lazy motherfucker who has never done it intensively. You've never got used to it.

there are more stars in the sky than atoms in the universe

I hope one day you get to know what it feels to be taken seriously

I don't get this whole reading is/isn't fun argument, reading doesn't have to be fun to be rewarding or worth doing. There are plenty of things that are good for you that aren't fun. Fun is not the end all be all of consumption.

You know what I've said it's true. You probably have no idea about how scholars actually read, and how effortless the process is (on the contrary in fact: it's definetely addicting).
If you're struggling with it, chances are that so far you have only read for fun, and probably not that much either, and that you have never focused and practiced the act of reading itself.

...one day...

Reading should be a neutral experience, fun and boredom should stem from what one is reading, and not because he is doing so in the first place.
I'd say that unless you are incapacitated mentally you've got no excuse.

pleasure is literally the meaning of life

Do you use a wheeled walker in your brain when you walk?

There are things that give us long term pleasure for short term suffering though. Chasing pleasure can include taking on some suffering, anyone that studies in a school does so because that effort will, in their hopes, eventually land them a better job and life than what they had before.

You have more atoms in your brain than there are atoms in the universe

I feel the same way. And I hate to admit it because it's pretty plebish, but a lot of the times the various threads on this site that I've been participating in are constantly tugging at my attention and I take breaks from reading to check in on them.

I don't this post.

You have more brains in your head than atoms in your brain

How can I stop eating while reading? I just can't stop putting some bread with something on my mouth and it's now an habit and it's making me gain some weight. I have tried not to do it but it feels something is missing aaaa

It sucks that reading takes time. There are so many interesting books but the amount you can read in a year is too limited.

Does anyone remember that weird Jimmy Neutron episode where he invents book bubblegum? I wish that really existed so I could obtain as much information as possible in the shortest amount of time.
Or that I could split my consciousness in multiple parts so I could read multiple books at once.

Read annoying books where you have to hold both pages so they stop closing all the time

I don't like that idea at all. Gradually making your way through a novel is a great experience. Most of the time I find myself wishing books went on forever.

if you were walking down an ordinary English countryside and came across a well, that well would have more stars than the universe has atoms.