What do you think of England's new 10 pound note?

What do you think of England's new 10 pound note?

i like it, even though the picture of jane austen is somewhat romanticised (the only picture of her from when she was alive was a quick sketch by her sister)

also the new turner £20 is glorious

>Jane Austen
Her work is so uninteresting and boring. Why is she considered so popular in British literature?

>orange evening tone
>open fields
>bent over body
>sunset found her squatting in the grass

You're not a very smart reader if you aren't able to get anything out of Austen, perhaps one of the cleanest (in the sense of being exact in words, in the movement of time, and ability to stand aside and let nuance take over) writers of the 19th century.

I mean, what else? Do you dislike the swaying punctuality of Tolstoy and the tight mechanics of George Eliot too?

Ever heard of free indirect discourse? She invented it

It isn't. There was a huge campaign to make sure a woman was on it.
Despite the queen being on the obverse of every single one.

just stick to dan brown or whatever it is you read

You're not a very smart reader if Jane Austen and a couple Victorian authors are the only authors you can appreciate.

I've give her ten pounds if you know what I mean

>You're not a very smart reader if you aren't able to get anything out of Austen, perhaps one of the cleanest (in the sense of being exact in words, in the movement of time, and ability to stand aside and let nuance take over) writers of the 19th century.
Calm you tits, cuck boy, I ain't said shit about your fuckbuddy, I was just wondering why is she so popular despite the obvious banality of her works.

the BoE decide who is going on the banknotes years in advance. they had already decided on jane austen before the campaign started. why not have her on there? she's one of the most famous british writers ever. we had charles dickens on the £10 a few years ago.

and elizabeth fry and florence nightingale have been on banknotes, so there have been women on them before too.

She's objectively important to the history of the novel with her emphasis on realism and innovations in free indirect speech. She's always focused on the plot and character development and always remembers to add humour to her scenes. Plus she's capable of creating a variety of unique characters, and has great control over irony while letting the emotions in her stories resonate beautifully. She`s a great writer.

You're not a very smart reader if you misunderstood my post that badly. We already knew you were a bad reader, since you think Austen is boring. That's something an 8th grade boy being forced to read her would say, not an adult that intently reads literature.

>if Jane Austen and a couple Victorian authors are the ONLY authors you can appreciate.

Let's stare at this. Where the fuck did you get this from my post? How badly are you projecting if you think that calling you out for being an ADHD pseud means that I only like the authors I accused you of disliking?

What the fuck do you even read? Dan Brown is a good starting assumption, right?

Also whether intended or not the social messages in her work will always make her novels the scrutiny of academics ensuring her survival.

You're not the only one who's been asking this question. Mark Twain, Virginia Woolf, and D.H. Lawrence are also looking for that answer.

>I was just wondering why is she so popular despite the obvious banality of her works.

How is it obvious? I don't think it's obvious. The general public and academia don't find her "obviously banal". How is it obvious? How is she banal? Why are you dismissing an author you don't like (and probably don't understand) by using a few buzzwords? You're not Vladimir Nabokov, you don't have the writing talent or reading ability to pretend you're above Jane Austen (speaking of Nabokov, he praised her as one of the best female authors he had read). Perhaps you're not mature enough to be reading adult books?

Maybe you aren't, but that's what most Jane Austen fans are like.

>Mark Twain
>British literature
do behave

Jane Austen fucking sucks and I'm saying this as someone who has a PhD in British literature. You're either a try-hard pseud or just a teenage girl. Because that's the exact audience which Austen caters for.

p.s. Stop wasting your time with that whore and read Bronte sisters instead.

>as someone who has a PhD in British literature

Thank you for bragging about getting perhaps the easiest, most banal, most useless, most unimpressive higher degree possible. I always appreciate being in the company of royalty.

I can appreciate of you using ad hominem because you exactly know how I will wreck you in a possible literary argument. Way to go buddy!

>reddit spaces
This are the kind of people who unironically enjoy Austen.

Want to start an argument about Jane Austen? You are the professor, how about you begin. Choose a work, write an argument, use some examples from the work, and feel free to point to secondary literature, I don't care. Explain why she sucks.

>uses ad verecundiam
>bitches about others using fallacies
>says "appreciate of you"
just stop

who are you quoting?

>uses ad argumentum argumentum
>bitches about others using fallacies
>her mother smoked during pregnancy
just stop

Becuase Austen is just an overrated author for femmie agenda. Thackeray knows his subject and can do anyhting Austen does in literature in a much better and a wider extent. Not the same guy btw.

>enjoying Austen
Do you also like knitting and having 5 o'clock tea? Just why don't you fuck off to r/books femboi?

So who are your favorite authors?

Pynchon, Melville, McCarthy, the list goes on

Try to mind those spaces when you're trying to samefag.

Oh ok, so you've probably read about 20 books sanctioned by Veeky Forums, how courageous of taste.

Those are three great authors, but I think we can both quietly admit that you think they're great because you were told they were great. You're probably one of the human sponges here who can't have opinions prior to hearing opinions.

Why are you answering to yourself?

idiot

oddly immense insecurity strikes again

die you fucking bookfag