Architecture books

As a first year architecture student I feel pretty ignorant in all sort of themes. What good books could you recommend on this topic?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léon_Krier
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pls no fountainhead

thanks lad

Don't mean to derail the thread, but since there are never any architecture threads on Veeky Forums.. does anyone know if it is possible to become an architect by getting a master's in arch (without a Bachelor's in arch). is it feasible to even get into a good program, and will a master's be enough to start a path to designing buildings n shit? I'm asking because I'm about to finish a CS degree, but I've always wanted to be an architect

Any other good books on urban planning? Preferably one that focus in commieblocks.

Poetics of Space isn't really about architecture in the conventional sense

Jane Jacobs' The Death and Life of Great American Cities is a famously devastating attack on Modernist urban planning

Thanks, that's right up my alley.

What is this painting, OP? It looks beautiful

That's nice

Imagine if there were an extremely easy way to find this out yourself

Hello, OP. I am not a pro about architecture but I know some things about things, and I've read some books. I recommend the following:

The Project on the City books (Harvard). Book 1 is this big Red Book thing about the expansion of China, a bit dated now-focuses on . Book 2 is the really good one (all about shopping), and looks at how malls and mall-space were built, the history of air conditioning, the escalator, comparison with the Crystal Palace (look this up), various shopping tech we take for granted, versus old classical/high-modern ideas of architecture. There's a third one too which is less about architecture but along the same po-mo modern-society analysis lines. Rem Koolhaas is associated with these books and has his own S,M,L,XL which is apparently good but I don't know.

A great CRITIQUE of modern architecture is pic related, which I've had from a library once or twice. It has cool pictures of arcologies and Brasilia and such, and proceeds to shit all over them IIRC, though it's been a long time. Use this to balance your view.

Obviously you should learn about churches, church plans, materials, great western buildings as well.

Also my understanding is that your field of study is absolutely terrible for finding jobs, so there's that. Just keep it in mind.

*focuses on the Hong Kong/Hainan/SEZ area, as liberalized by the illegitimate PRC government.

AAAND the pic related is "Form Follows Fiasco", wew. This was written at a historical period (60s/70s) when modernists were really far up their own ass, so that criticism of modernism was actually brave. My mom, then an art student who always appreciated traditional (western) art forms, recalls a campus climate which was all about the simple sculptures and color fields, and looked down on representation in art, in general, as naive. Happily things have loosened up a bit since then.

Look up Superstudio

just saying. you're not going to learn anything about architecture from reading it

Not a student of architecture but my favourite works have been Ten Books on Architecture by Vitruvius and Lectures on Architecture and Painting and Stones of Venice by John Ruskin. They both stress the importance for an architect to be a polymath and connect architecture to ideas in culture and art.

Read Ruskin

And avoid Le Corbusier

Why?

Pic related it's by Ruskin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léon_Krier
> is an architect, architectural theorist and urban planner. He is a representative of New Urbanism and New Classical Architecture.

Elaborate?

Maybe if you're a brainlet, man...

That's nice

Defensible space Oscar Newman

>Also my understanding is that your field of study is absolutely terrible for finding jobs, so there's that. Just keep it in mind
This is true. Also, even if you find a job, you won't get to actually build anything you like

John Ruskin. The Stones of Venice, if you're the literary type. They are a classic in the field.

What the tfuck is architecture book

just go to Google image search and search for pictures??? ?

I read a really cool book recently called "The City After the Automobile" by some Israeli-Canadian architect who has made some pretty cool stuff. I'm not an architect or urban planner but I wonder about city design a lot and how it's a reflection of culture, technology (transportation), etc. I'd love to learn more about it desu.

The Krier brothers have done some really amazing things. Especially with Prince Charles. Poundbury is a really solid attempt to create a new kind of city. I think it falls short in many respects but very interesting nonetheless.

Haha, great post! Have an upvote, my nigger!