What is the most literary quality detective novel?

What is the most literary quality detective novel?

The Savage Detectives :^)

The Hound Of Baskerville

In the Name of the Rose

The Long Goodbye

Read 2666, season one of True Detective stole a lot of ideas from Bolano, among other authors

Is the translation pretty good?

Garriga's mad detective novels.

is season one of True Detective worth watching?

Yes. Season two is better.

It's fantastic. Don't listen to people hyping up season 2, it's complete garbage only contrarians pretend to like due to how unpopular it was.

>Season two is better
i was told otherwise

Yes, user. Just read it.

its extremely gritty, very southern gothic feel.
avoid the second season at all costs

Oh god no.

I gave up during The Part about the Crimes, which I imagine is a common experience.

Yes but not because of literary merit. Watch it for the cinematography. Adam Arkapaw floppin his dick around like it's too easy

No one believe this nonsense

Is good cinematography analogous to good prose?

S2 is alright, it just tried to be too many things at once and it suffered. Too many sprawing plots and povs, where S1 was much more focused.

If they focused on just Frank and Colin Farrel's character it would've been 10/10

No. only in the sense that it requires some creative process

Yeah "reportage" style about a string of dead people is tiring. You should definitely go back and read part 5 tho.

I think it has a lot of literary merit. Sure it borrows heavily from a number of sources but it recombines them in a genuinely interesting way. And a lot of the dialogue is pretty fucking powerful, enthralling and sharp. Not to say anything of plot and pacing.

I think its cumbersome and labyrinthine structure, though unintentional, actually bolsters its central themes. If the grand mechanism of political and personal corruption is impossible to comprehend by any individual in its entirety, why should any viewer be better placed to fully countenance it? We get lost in the narrative because the characters are also lost, and we're stuck in their perspective. We're confused and paranoid because they are, and they have every reason to be.

We can say that, but the show still turned out rather sloppy with some flashes of brilliance. Less really is more.

I disagree. The dialogue is too vague and ultimately vapid when you listen to it carefully or read it on paper. Mcconaughey and Harrelson made it better. Without them and the superb camera work, True Detective would have flopped.

Are there any characters in lit comparable to Vince?

Rupi

>what a sad paradox, thought Amalfitano

This. Only plebs enjoy S1. S2 is a masterpiece. It's like comparing Lonesome Dove with Blood Meridian.

>he doesn't like pure kino

>comparing Lonesome Dove to Blood Meridian
Um, actually one of those won a fucking Pulitzer, honey. Nothing to compare.

Pearls to swine. Without Rust's dialogue ripped from Ligotti and the whole existential horror/new weird atmosphere the show would have been just another generic whodunit featuring hillbillies.

Its ripped fucking verbatim most of the time.

my friend maigret

Season two would've been better if it were five episodes longer.

In the filmmaking world, I'd suggest yes. In my opinion, a good film is not one which relies on dialogue but rather on sight and sound. The greatest directors to ever live understand this. As such, the meaning, tone, tension, style, skill, should all be put into the cinematography (but also mise en scene, sound). A shite film with fancy cinematography woos plebs in the same way a vapid novel with flowery language would.

Crime and Punishment.

>Without Rust's dialogue ripped from Ligotti and the whole existential horror/new weird atmosphere the show would have been just another generic whodunit featuring hillbillies.

The whole truth is that it works because the writer set that stuff in a dramatic context that works -- in the automobile colloquies, the police interviews, etc. And Mcconaughey and Harrelson play the hell out of it. God-tier performances from both, and a chemistry between them that's diamonds.

The Silent Cry

Go back to tv and leave your shit memes there

Yes. It's popular, critically acclaimed, and a fun watch. Season two is completely passable however.

He was a fucking God warrior that day.

broke my goddamn heart when he got killed. Season was worth it just for those two sequences

bugs... easy on the meanness

Probably The Mysteries of Winterthurn. It's basically a post-modern parody of the detective novel, and is written very well.

Moonchild by Crowley. Simon Iff is the coolest detective in literature.

Part About the Crimes is the best part. Yes it's tiresome but that's the magic of how gruesome it truly is.

Lol

I agree. I didn't mean tiring as an epithet, just that I understand why someone would want to quit it.

Why do people take this literally? I thought the point was to live your life as if that were the case, not that its literally what happens.

a third of Pynchon
>Crying of Lot 49
>Inherent Vice
>Bleeding Edge

>mfw Nietzsche's quote got butchered to all fuck

Club of Queer Trades

That's the point.

Farewell My Lovely

Probably some crap by Ross MacDonald

Hardboiled fiction like Chandler and Hammett are pretty literary.

Another horror author who had influence on True Detective was Laird Barron. Dude is probably one of the best horror writers working today who isn't King.

He combines hardboiled fiction like Chandler with Lovecraftian horror. I would read any of his first 3 collections to get into him.

Also, read Karl Edward Wagner's story "Sticks", it definitely had some influence on True Detective. The most obvious being that weird stick creations they keep finding (the story also influenced The Blair Witch Project with there stick creations).

But, they also influenced the whole rich people who worship strange beings and commit human sacrifice type plot cause that appears in the story too.

I read one of his books and it was just boring and kind of tryhard with the attempted witty Chandleresque lines. I don't get the love for that guy.

And obviously "The King in Yellow", although it's only the first 4 stories that refer to that play.

A film's editing is more analogous to prose, I'd say.

It absolutely is, if anything it deserves more hype than it gets. I think people are full of shit hyping up most TV shows lately, but True Detective really was fantastic.

I like the works of Jean Patrick Manchette

I've only read one Maigret and I was pleasantly surprised. Which others would you recommend?

I'm curious, too.

i've only read a couple of them. there are dozens of them in total. my friend maigret is the best one i've read. apart from that they pretty much do what they say on the tin. maigret and the strangled stripper, maigret and the headless corpse etc. they are good noir-ish stuff and some of them are not much longer than short stories so they can be polished off quickly.

i noticed that there are some new recent translations including some done by anthea bell who is one of the translators of the asterix books so i might have a look at them again

These guys know whats up.

Chandler has aged a lot better than many of his more 'literary' contemporaries.

ETA Hoffmann's Mademoiselle de Scudery is the first recognised tale in the genre, followed by EA Poe's Murder's in the Rue Morgue.

Start with those, then move onto the collected Sherlock Holmes.

They're all short stories, you've no excuse.

this
and this, i sez

The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost

In Cold Blood

shut up mark

>In the Name of the Rose
>In

Did you never actually look at the title?