Blood Meridian

What the fuck was his fucking problem

he was el Diablo (Spanish for the devil)

Any further analysis there?

He was written by an ear of maize.

He was el Dimano

He was just having a good time and no one cared to stop him.

No, he was the embodiment of war.

the judge will never die, just like war will never die

sooooo deep

No, he was the demiurge

He's my mom :/

There was a thread with Bloom Meridian posted in it. Does anyone happen to have a link to that thread? Didn't come up in my search.

What does 'Blood Meridian' even mean? The dividing line between blood? Am I stupid?

He's a big guy

I always interpreted it in a geographical sense. So like pointing to a meridian line on the globe. Sort of like saying this is a violent location, or this is the place where there is blood.

for the kid.

he was a fish

Why does everyone think the Judge killed the Kid at the end? I thought that it was pretty cut and dry that the Judge brought the bear girl to the outhouse for the Kid to violate and murder. Throughout the whole book the Judge was trying to get the Kid to really, truly give in to the bloodlust and at the end he succeeded. Hence why "he will never die" because his viewpoint was vindicated and will live on through the Kid.

Also there was someone nonchalantly pissing outside of the outhouse afterwards who spoke exactly like the Kid, and unlike everyone else seemed unphased by the carnage in the outhouse.

I understood this reference.

He copied everything and destroyed the original. He was the opposite of a demiurge.

There is no evidence to suggest it was the girl in the jake, or the Kid (who is in his thirties at this point) was guy pissing outside. First of all, it's silly to suggest "dude one scene ends with person doesn't mean it's same person in the other why would you think that lmao". Second of all... I have no second of all right now. You start saying things.

The horizon at sunset. Hence:
>evening redness in the west

Good thing this is an anonymous board, because I feel stupid after actually thinking about it. The girl was missing after all, which would imply the Kid and the judge violated her together.

But I think it seems more likely the Kid died, and that the Judge punished him. The bear's role in the last scene should be evidence enough in this, coupled with the judge's monologue about "roles." The bear's fate predicted the kid's.

No need to feel stupid, this is just how discussions about ambiguous endings go. My theory just makes sense to me, because I felt like the Judge could have killed the Kid at any time he wanted throughout the book. The most sublime pleasure for the Judge is to incite others to violence and cruelty, for example when he gets the crowd to murder the preacher or how he enables the scalpers to continue on their warpath as long as possible rather than just killing them.

It's a good title, it can have many interpretations

I always saw the title as describing the kid. He was past the daylight of childhood, but before the nightfall of adulthood. A bloody meridian

There's a specific line where they reference the meaning but I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment. It's scalping.

They're Indian hunters, so it's relevant.

"The way of the world is to
bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon
of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its
achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day."

he's a gnostic archon

i once saw a post suggesting that, along with the other meanings, it could be read as the "evening" is describing what the redness does. like the redness "evens" or makes everything equal. redness being blood. in the west.

That was a fun quote to process.
Reminds me of that other quote about retirement being a battered, white flag.

>Redness being blood

That's dumb.
I don't think evening is something that's weak enough to mean nothing. It's obvious that blood and meridian are two distinct words for a reason.

>>evening redness in the west
I always thought that was a reference to Jakob Böhme

He never sleeps.

He is the same thing as this fucker.

But now people will only know those things by his representations, so...

No thats just brown people and contemporary issues lmao. The Judge is a more ambiguous, less quantifiable force. I like thinking he's a suped up White Whale meets Lucifer so you get all the muh evils mixed in with good ole human psychology. Not too different than Conrad's thesis, just more exciting and material.

No, he was the embodiment of the human geist.

Did you at least put attention to the parts about luck and he just going around like a force of nature? In Anton's case it appears to be a matter of chose but with the judge is one of learning.
Don't get started on good ol' Kurtz. My boy did nothing wrong. He is a victim of ideology.

>put attention
>chose
>he just going
lmao. Also I said nothing about Kurtz dumbass.

Not an argument.
Put is the correct form unless you want to write something like payed attention. Choice; there you got me. If you bring Conrad someone is going to use Kurtz because it's his most influential work and also the one who has more layers.

The argument was that you are a mongoloid. Your response confirmed this.

>bring Conrad
Where am I bringing him to?

Also,
>the more layers
>being this fucking pleb

You write like that one guy on /b/ that everyone thought was an alien wrestling with proper speech.

>>bring Conrad
>Where am I bringing him to?

You are autistic.

This may be truth, but this is my third language.

"Whatever his antecedents he was something wholly other than their sum, nor was there system by which to divide him back into his origins for he would not go. Whoever would seek out his history through what unraveling of loins and ledgerbooks must stand at last darkened and dumb at the shore of a void without terminus or origin and whatever science he might bring to bear upon the dusty primal matter blowing down out of the millennia will discover no trace of any ultimate atavistic egg by which to reckon his commencing.”

Excerpt From: Cormac McCarthy. “Blood Meridian.” iBooks.

O shit...

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

>What the fuck was his fucking problem
Cormac's problem is that he is a tryhard pseud limp-wristed emasculated puritan who larped Clint Eastwood so hard he forgot his own identity.

Imagine actually believing this.

It could also be understood in relation to the development of civilization. The blood meridian as the epoch in which humanity's base savagery and technological advancements collided.

Imagine actually taking a person's shittily contrived public mask at face value.

this.

>and they rode on and it was dusty and the sun went down behind the many splendid and hills and the kid spat and he wiped his mouth
>you aint nothin
>the judge was edgy and they rode on and they ate some beans and they put some tortillas on the beans and ate beans with the tortillas.
>ye
imagine thinking the person who wrote this contrived some deeper meaning behind it.

sad
you make me sad

Post the chickens.

he is the brutality of man

wow its an antagonist in a cormac mccarthy novel that is a mostly unknowable and unstoppable force of vengeance and violence i didnt get enough of it in no country for old men

honestly that was his problem. hes a force, not a person, more of a hurricane than someone that was once a child

“Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery.
He rose and moved away into the darkness beyond the fire. Aye, said the expriest watching, his pipe cold in his teeth. And no mystery. As if he were no mystery himself, the bloody old hoodwinker.”

He's that gorilla dick nigga

>i didnt get enough of it in no country for old men
BM came first, you dunce, and is far superior. Also Chigurh was definitely just a man.