Thoughts about the Cyberpunk subgenre?

Thoughts about the Cyberpunk subgenre?

It's alright. Some of my favorite works are cyberpunk but I dont have a big fetish for it. Half the time its just an aesthetic.

It has produced very readable quality books, even the better titles aren't that good.

It also got everything wrong, reading earlier titles cause secondhand embarrassment towards the authors.

Not much of a genre when only two books are worth reading.

>It has produced very few readable quality books
Accidentally missed a word.

It's Snow Crash and Neuromancer, right?

Is Diamond Age a good book?

Makes for better vidya than literature to be honest

>vidya

I can't name a single cyberpunk video game apart from that uncompleted Cyberpunk 2077 one. Actually, I can't name a lot of movies either. It's a generally very unpresented subgenre

>I can't name a single cyberpunk video game apart from that uncompleted Cyberpunk 2077 one

Great aesthetic, similar to dieselpunk and steampunk. But very few praiseworthy works have been set within it.
That's the consistent problem with these ______punk settings. A great, novel setting that's yet to see a great execution of it.

Dex is pretty fun.

You know it youngblood.

Overhyped shit

I like it. Love the aesthetic, love the mood. I feel like later on within the life of the subgenre those two things came to the forefront and what was forgotten about was the inherent class critique that made the original set of media so appealing.

>the inherent class critique that made the original set of media so appealing
Apart from It was classist as fuck and assumed the absolute worst of the underclass.

Deus Ex (the original one is the best but Human Revolution is a worthwhile game too)
System Shock and System Shock 2 (It's SS2 that everyone knows well and although it's got a steep learning curve, it's more accessible than the first game, both are fantastic though)
Syndicate Plus
UFO Franchise (the precursor to Xcom)

They're the ones that come to mind for me. If you like vidya, user, I think you'll enjoy these quite a bit.

xcom
good call

>ywn play 20s/30s era heideggerian/tesla-inspired retro-xcom & battle diesel-steampunk insectoid clockwork proto-accelerationist monstrosities trying to steal Muh Being
>i blame nick land for this
>well actually maybe you will
>but it will probably take a while before that happens

I don't think that's true at all.

Cyberpunk was the dream of boring upper middle class nerds with more Cognitive biases than /pol/ and reddit combined.

Ever wondered why the "popular" cyberpunk authors like Stephenson and Gibson was relevant on private welfare from Magic Leap and Musk.

It absolutely did, it automatically assumed the poorer a person was the less cultured they were, which backfired when the crowds they ran with back in the 60's and 70's produced kids who think drinking latte from a avocado is the principle of culture.

I really dig the aesthetic. Have read and enjoyed Gibson's Sprawl trilogy (though Mona Lisa Overdrive was a brbof a letdown), Mirrorshades (the quality ranges but the good stories are damn good), and Snow Crash. Been meaning to check out some Egan, Bear, Effinger, Shirley, as well as more from Stephenson and Gibson.

I read it somewhat differently. In much of cyberpunk we are exposed to a duality. Our focal point is ground level, the dirt, the crime, the uncultured as you put itetc, this is what sets apart cyberpunk from the grander more mainstream sci-fi of its day. The other side of the coin are the upper classes who we aren't subject to within said narrative all too often but their image, their essence weighs heavy over the narrative and the world. It is precisely because we are situated where we are within these stories that this duality is felt. How do people go about their day to day lives within such a class divided society. I think that's the inherent question. So perhaps you're right, cyberpunk doesn't necessarily have the most favourable outlook on its focus. That said, I think it's a structural critique more than anything.

cyberpunk was a rebellion against the Larry Niven School of Hard SF, just like punk was a rebellion against the Bee Gees. and just like punk, cyberpunk was assimilated and bought out.

/thread

Shadowrun is pretty good. Doesn't take itself too seriously.

That's more of a setting rather than an actual videogame even though it does have some good videogames.

It isn't a good rpg either, it's a badly designed mess.

Schway af

Dragonfall Director's cut and Hong Kong fix all the problems from the first game.

Shadowrun the tabletop not the fucking video game, Jesus user.

I don't often see this one mentioned, but it's very good, if anyone's looking for something to read.

Arab set cyberpunk.

Excuse me, the videogames are also rpgs just not tabletop. Jesus, user.

>let's take Gibson's world and make a tabletop RPG in it!
>uhh isn't that copyright infringement?
>oh shit you're right... let's add magic and dragons to it
>genius!

You liked it? I thought it was crap.

It really was.

I mean, I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it.

Good stuff my dudes.