What are some good novels from the Oceania region...

What are some good novels from the Oceania region? I never see people talking about Australian or New Zealand books here.

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Picnic at Hanging Rock is fantastic, as is Cloudstreet

also worth reading are the works of Patrick White, the only Australian to win the Nobel Prize for literature

they're are a simple greedy people incapable of anything worthy of note. Australia should go back to being a prison island as that's all it's good for.

Who is worse at literature, Australia or Canada?

Fuck, not much, but I'll give you the only examples that I can think of from New Zealand.

This won a booker prize I think.

As a New Zealander I haven't read either of these books but my mum has.

canada has their aging white woman brigade - atwood, carson, watson, munro
carson might as well be american tho and she's the best of them

this post is very low in memes, where do you think you are user?

But seriously, I have only read Breath by Tim Winton and it was pretty good. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the guru who was not such a good guru, and the strangulation sex.

that's a pretty dumb statement

Christina Stead

Not exactly a novel, but amazing

The Plains - Murnane

Eliot Perlman wrote some good shit, as did Peter Carey. A Fortunate Life is one of my all time favourite books.

Narrow Road To The Deep North -
Richard Flanagan
The book that got me into literature, Great stuff.

Theres also Katherine Mansfield for NZ.
See Western Canon: sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

'Tomorrow, when the war began' is the best young adult novel of all time.
Of all time.

I'm going to keep shilling for this book whenever threads like these pop up.

Australia produced the greatest series of books ever written.

Holy shit I remember these. I only read of them

This was pretty good, I read this for high school at a time when I didn't enjoy reading.

Was expecting to see Paul Jennings when expanded that pic for some reason.

Owls Do Cry
The Bone People
Bulibasha
In My Father's Den

Most of the NZ education system when it comes to culture is about Maori or pacific islander literature.
White kiwis have barely any cultural background to make their 'culture' distinguishable from other countries.

The only good 'NZ' novels would have to be from Maori writters

Because Paul Jennings is GOAT YA

this is a terrible novel - what's up with the dialogue? why in italics? i like the main ideas but it's poorly written

Australia has produced a lot of books I've enjoyed, but none that I would consider high art.

> Deltora Quest
> Paul Jennings' stuff
> Andy Griffith's JUST series and 'Day My Bum went psycho trilogy
> Matthew Riley's books

None of that is true. Sure we learn about some Maori customs and myths and read the odd book by one of them but for every book we read of them we read a Shakespeare play and that's not counting all the other European/American stuff we do on top of that. It's more like one part learning about the Maori to five parts white culture.

>The only good 'NZ' novels would have to be from Maori writters
>writters
I never knew that Mansfield and Baxter were brown.

We read one book about Maori legends at school

Dumb /pol/tard

You goddamn idiots.

Please give this a try.

Winton's first book of stories scission is pretty good. Like this guy said Picnic At Hanging Rock is dope. As far as Patrick White goes, I've only read Voss, and it's great.

Other Australian novels worth reading:
Wake in Fright - Kenneth Cooke
Monkey Grip - Helen Garner
Monkey's Mask - Dorothy Porter
Snake - Kate Jennings

Paul Jennings, Terry Denton and those other guys are fucking awesome. Sonya Hartnett and Tim Winton wrote some good YA stuff as well. The more I think about it, maybe YA is the best thing Australia has, which is kinda shit to be honest.

Anything by Patrick White or Randolph Stow.

Voss by White is peak Australian Modernism.

Is there any fucking board that I can go to where people are obsessed with /pol/? Holy shit.

I've said it before. I'll say it now. And I'll say it again.
Hannah Kent is the epitome of Australian literature, and the future of our great tradition. Copious talent, education and insight into suffering and opression - she is both a woman and a lesbian - combine for a refreshing take on western civilisation's not-so-nice history of sexism and racism. This is the perfect historical novel. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

From a playwrite famously celebrated nation-wide comes the riveting experience of Black Diggers. Penetrating deeply into historical investigation, Black Diggers reveals ancient truths of the plight of the Traditional Indigenous Custodians of the Land at the hands of the white man. Faced with immense adversity, these brave souls did what few men dared - volunteered for the Australian army despite the vastly cruel and hideous treatment at the hands of the European invaders. Deeply human and emotional, the play exposes hidden secrets in the dark annals of our history, penetrating the shadows surrounding the Aboriginal Holocaust and the vitriolic, hateful nature of the ingratitude the white men gave the young nyoongars in return for the protection of the nation they provided. Through such exposition, unwelcome truths surface of the exploitory attitudes of the White Government today in the spiteful legacy of the White Australia policy. Only through education can we provide Racial Consciousness and achieve Equality.

coming to a public school near you

Considering that /pol/ during Trump's campaign became the third most trafficked board on this whole site introducing a whole lot of new people who overflowed into other boards, no. Also telling someone to fuck off pack to /pol/ when they spout something obviously untrue and /pol/ like is fine by me.

What the fuck is wrong with Australia? How come no other country seems to give them shit for attempted genocide?