Admit it

admit it
this book is about nothing, a waste of time hidden behind big words and inane ramblings
everyone claiming they enjoy or 'get' this book are lying

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/06/paulo-coelho-james-joyce-ulysses
twitter.com/paulocoelho/status/232472290128961536
youtube.com/watch?v=87-kfkXT1WA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I agree, the Wake is much better

yeah i mean life is a story told by a stupid guy full of noise and anger meaning nada right

It' just a bunch of references coated in really nice prose.
6.3/10 wouldn't quite recommend it

To have the experiential reference to "admit" something like that, you'd figure you had some incredibly subtle and refined platform of a wealth of life experience with which to deny the artistry involved in creating something like ulysses.

I would be willing to bet my life, gun to the head, that you don't, and simply want to stirr the pot in order to have a fancy little 'argumentative' thread here. Go ahead and have it. It's not going to amount to anything other than the temporary abeyance of your underlying boredom with life, lack of ability to become motivated to focus on anything. Go ahead, let's talk about how one of the greatest books of all time is just a big-word hullabaloo. That souunds fuuuuun suuuuure cooool maaaaaaannnnnnnnnn leeetsss alllll haaaannng ourrselllves tooooo whillle weeereee attt ittttt

@9842836
>one of the greatest books of all time
>ruining good bait with this obvious shit
no (you) for you

I take things at face value

It's one of my charming factors

>Everything I dislike is an overrated meme.

> he didn't read The Greeks and their philosophers
> he didn't read The King James Bible or Dante
> he didn't read Virgil
> he didn't read The Epic of Gilgamesh
> he didn't read Joyce's earlier works, including his erotic letters to his wife
> he didn't read about early 1900s Dublin

No wonder you didn't fucking understand it, you pseud. Don't insult or call out others based on your own intellectual shortcomings, you cunt.

>this book is about nothing
I am perplexed - how can you think this? So many events are described in the book, from the ones that really happened on that day in Dublin that is being portrayed, to the ones which are tied to fictitious characters, both main (Steven, Leopold) and tertiary (Kernan, Leonard etc).
Please consider giving this fantastic book another chance, but after at least reading The Odyssey, Hamlet, Dubliners and A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.

Where do I go now that Delaney has passed away and his podcast is no longer active? ;_;

Like Paulo Coelho said, this books is just style, it's pure style there's nothing more to it besides the style, a book written for writers and no one else. Hollow in its meaning.

I read Ulysses without having read a lot of the stuff it alludes to. Honestly it's still a fucking amazing book regardless.

It's really amazing, my favorite book together with Brothers Karamazov.

You read it, but you didn't understand it. Reading books for the plot, without absorving anything that the author wanted to convey is patheitc.

Hahahaha, what the fuck? Your two favorite books are an atheistic one and a theistic one? Are you utterly retarded?

>implying they're not compatible
You haven't understood either of them.

Ulysses criticizes religion and more specifically the christian faith. Brothers Karamazov, meanwhile, makes an entire argument against atheism and specifically glorifies christian beliefs and values.

Ulysses is a celebration of the material, The Brothers Karamazov of the spiritual, I'm not as constrained as you and can appreciate both works equally, they aren't contradicting one another. Ulysses isn't an atheistic work at all, at best, it criticizes the manipulation through religion, not religion itself.

>Ulysses criticizes religion and more specifically the christian fait
Ask me how I know you are a pseud.

>Ulysses criticizes religion and more specifically the christian faith
You have to go back.

>Ulysses criticizes religion and more specifically the christian faith

Retard

I don't care about your opinion honestly, but amuse me anyway, why do you think I'm a pseud?

Fuck you

please be copy paste because this is hilarious

Joyce talks about religion and politics and sincerity and human interaction and self consciousness and national identity and sexual and gender dynamics and jealousy and general aesthetic theory and a whole slew of other shit and you're real wrong about this :\

Joyce does not write anti-Christian or anti-religious novels. He criticises the hypocrisy and condescending behaviour of the clergy in Ireland, as well as the general Irish blindness when it comes to to nationalism fueled by the Catholic church. He wants to free his mind from the opinions of the rabble, basically, so that he can be what he wants to be and not just a mouthpiece for some ideology. That's why he left Dublin.

Thank you for this quality post, Veeky Forums needs more people like you.

Fucking word, it'll be forgotten in two years!

cringe

Cringe (2)

I am an older reader with plenty of "experience" in day to day life and reading. Ulysses is trash, and when someone drops it I brand them a hipster shit.

You believe that Ulysses is purely about allusions to older works? You're a moron if that's the case and missed even more than you claim I did.

>good bait
>good
>bait

the clamor and the grumpiness, eh?

Yeah like I'd trust anyone's opinion who would write a book as pathetically phony and lacklustre as Veronika Decides to Die. Don't agree with that utter moron who effectively writes fictional self-help books for the left-wing stay at home mum.

Don't bother, he's beyond saving, unless he's baiting (which I hope he is).

I'm not baiting, I also never said I liked Paulo Coelho, but I agree with his opinion on Ulysses.

theguardian.com/books/2012/aug/06/paulo-coelho-james-joyce-ulysses

twitter.com/paulocoelho/status/232472290128961536

It's time for you to leave.

I stand by what I said. The guy's an idiot and so are you for agreeing with him.

Joyce's poetry is the only thing of his writing worth anything

Wrong

its pretty funny

Wow, I never knew Coelho trashed Ulysses so hard. I loved the Alchemist when I was younger...

But then again as I grow up I end up hating my young self even more. No wonder I cant agree with Coelho on his shallow oppinions.

HAHAHAHA what the fuk nigger, can't like dogs and cats?

tone down the language buddy

youtube.com/watch?v=87-kfkXT1WA

>Paulo Coelho

This is the same guy who wrote the Alchemist, one of the worst books I've ever read

>Ulysses criticizes religion and more importantly the christian faith
Include me in the screencap. This is prime pseud material.

I 'get' the book
I understood the book
I think it is possible for most to slog through it w/ a guide

I do not think it is worth the time. Sadly the kind of people you try to tell this to will never listen to your advice.

>think you need to slog through it w/ a guide
>I understood the book
pick one

Seriously, did Cap just say, "Watch your language?"

>Paulo Cohelo

Being about nothing is the point. Think of an average day in your life. Does anything really happen? Do events that arise neatly get concluded by the time you go to bed? No.

Joyce would be a journalist if he tried to shoehorn a story into this common day. He's not a journalist, neither is Stephen - Go ahead and reread Aeolus or Eumaeus.

Joyce is an artist, not a journalist. He'd be disloyal to his art - this recreation of an average day in the extraordinary saga of the odyssey of our species - if he, say, had Bloom resolve the situation with Alexander Keyes's ad, or if we had some sense of what Stephen did after he leaves Bloom's house.

Joyce is an artist. He tells the truth. Ulysses, like our species, endures against all odds.

He never said he'd read it solely for plot, first of all. Second of all, if you don't think Ulysses stands well enough on its own, you're probably retarded and only read impressive works for the sake of their impressiveness. Joyce was too talented for people like you to read and "appreciate" him.

I know I'm taking the b8 here, but if you can't admire a work despite your own ideals shows how narrow-minded you are and have little no appreciation for art in general. Personal convictions and idealisms shouldn't determine one's judgement of another work. If so, you're reading for all the wrong reasons outside of hedonism.

Finnegan's Wake is the work of a genius who died too old.

>'s
When will you faggots learn? There is no apostrophe.