What exactly is wrong with this translation?

What exactly is wrong with this translation?

I'm diving headfirst into Dosto starting with Crime and Punishment but this is the only one I can find.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/H2ykytca6Y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Doesn't flow well

Get McDuff

nothing. P&V get the closest to the original Russian

dont listen to muh flow fags like this guy

Just read it you fag it doesn't matter as much as you think

Piggybacking off this thread to ask about my translation of The Brothers K. Is Constance Garnett's translation any good?

Just read it you fag it doesn't matter as much as you think

I am reading it. About to start the second book tonight. Just thought I'd ask until I get too far into it.

Nothing wrong with P&V

nothing wrong with it. only people with a problem with it are pedantic retards

Only revised Garnett

Trash. OWC or P&Meme

I don't think it matters as long as it ISN'T Garnett

I have a copy of the garnett translation waiting to be read, what's wrong with it? Is it really worth picking up a different copy of the book?

I think they are fucking with us.

Not I. Garnett is FULL of errors and things it doesn't take a genius to see are rough. Translated in the late 1800s by a world not under the shrunken global fact checking collective, where a translation was good enough if the words ended up making sentences on the pages. It belongs in the past.

Linguistic academia has basically been invented since then. Translations have a baseline and stakes to be profitable and worth the time. Garnett translated for her audience - anyone wanting to read a (then contemporary) novel translated to any capacity. They didn't have a choice. You do.

Don't read Garnett.

literally nothing, PV is fine for dostoevsky (and tolstoy)

avoid their master and margarita

Best translation coming through, make way plebs

Fuck man Garnett is the only copy my father has, and he's who I get my books from. Maybe my library has a copy but the book is so damn long and I'm going back to college soon... Is it too late to just up and switch? I'm on page 76 on the start of part 7 of book 2, "A Young Man Bent On Career." So far I am enjoying the book. Can you give me an example of something Garnett got wrong?

Also avoid their Gogol translations.

>terrible overdesigned cover
Penguin does it again!

yeah, and all their other translations because PV suck donkey nuts.

Just keep reading if you want, but you're cheating yourself slogging through needlessly obtuse language.

Can't give you an example because I don't have a copy of Garnett around because I won't read Garnett. Reread someday in a different translation, you'll be able to tell yourself easily.
I think you'd be able to find another copy pretty much anywhere though. Garnett is free online.

No, their super flat/literal translations work for Dosto and Tolstoy. With someone more unconventional like Gogol though they end up sucking all the life out of it.

>implying tolstoy and dosto are flat
so, you acknowledge that they suck the life out of one author and somehow expect that they don't to another? how naive.

P&V is alright but, especially with Tolstoy, in my experience they don't flow well. Pevear/Volokhonsky use way too many commas and write clunky sentences that take out any natural flow to most of the sentences. They are well written, just not as nice as other translators.

All translations from good publishers like Oxford and Penguin are suitable alternatives. For Tolstoy, the Maude translations (and Schwartz for Anna Karenina) are way better than P&V shit. So much nicer to read.

Try McDuff for Dostoevsky.

The translation I personally have is by Garnett, and throughout the entire book, I have never been at a loss of amazement at the subtly of the prose and how well it captures the many deeper ideas of the books, like, for an example I imagine would be hard translating, Raskolnikov's many ramblings.

It also flows well while feeling appropriately grave throughout the story. No meme, I have read most of the Greek plays in numerous translations and am capable at this point of knowing how to smell shit, and I don't think Garnett's translation is lacking anything.

youtu.be/H2ykytca6Y8
watch 1:03:56.
P&V fags btfo

>book cover spoils the plot
REEEEEEEEEE
>inb4 reading for the plot

Fuck I hate how this is a fucking issue. I just want to read the danm book and enjoy it.

Nabokov is way too sophisticated and personally developed to be nabbing opinions to give out to Veeky Forums kids. You will go insane if you try to become Nabokov without first being Nabokov. His quirky and opinions regarding literature do not apply to you, but what he thinks you ought to be in perfection. Much like trying to live by the rules laid out in the hebrew bible, it cannot be done and only serves as a reminder of how exact Nabokov is in taste, which the real literary environment could never satisfy.

Garnette's english translations are fine, and they ought to be fine for you if only you stopped roleplaying as a patrician.

All printed translations are perfectly fine unless you have been prescribed an academic reason not to read them, or have developed a bad taste for that translator from previous experience.

Has anyone read the McReynolds Oddo translation?

I prefer Norton Criticals when reading classics, and so I'm going to read this version despite your opinions.

>read Dover Thrift edition
>back cover spoils the entire plot

Do you think anyone here has read the translations and the original Russian and is able to have a valid opinion on this? Just read whatever fucking translation as long as you know the publisher is trustworthy. P&V is fine and Everyman Library is patrician tier affordable books.

>translate books
>say other translator is better than you

what a bad businessman

I dunno how that is over designed, it's just a scene from the book in a simply style

>it's a "random cropped painting as the cover" episode
There wasn't even a lake in TBK, was there?

Exhibit A: Retard who hasn't read The Brothers K