Which forms of self-medication are the most beneficial and detrimental to the literary life?

Which forms of self-medication are the most beneficial and detrimental to the literary life?

I would say hashish and opium are patrician, whereas tobacco and alcohol are for the lowly.

>opium

S P O O K E D

None of them actually work, dumbass. Geniuses just have to ingest drugs in order to cope with their overactive minds, the drugs themselves don't actually cause the creativity.

I never said that they would m8, that's why I used the phrase 'self-medication' and not 'summon genius'.

Well they also don't work for that either, that's sort of the cruel joke of it all, dummy.

cocaine. cocaine is and always will be the greatest way for a genius mind to expel that which is irrelevant.

>islay whisky is plebeian
>od'ing on painkillers is patrician

lol

>islay
>not the pretentious middle class man's attempt at patricianhood

Positively cigar-tier.

>hashish
>an opioid

Under. Age. B&.

>people who drink whisky do so to craft an outward image, not for enjoyment

you have revealed yourself to be between the ages of 19 and 22; you should return to this discussion when you are no longer an undergraduate

either that or you are a whisky snob who has constructed an idiosyncratic taxonomy of regions which inexplicably labels the best region middlebrow

my money's on the former

Hey, guess what. You're both asses.

There's no good self medication. Learn to deal with your problems without resorting to escapism. Reading is escapism too.

Islay is the IPA of whisky.

What way is there to deal suffering, decay and death that does not resort to escapism?

Alcohol is one of the few things I can still enjoy. Weed mostly just makes me anxious and uncomfortable these days but I smoke sometimes anyway in a futile attempt to recapture the relationship I once had with it. Painkillers are cozy but I only ever take them when prescribed. Maybe I'll get my wisdom teeth removed for an opportunity to take some opioids.

Kratom is quite nice to read on.

>Weed mostly just makes me anxious and uncomfortable these days but I smoke sometimes anyway in a futile attempt to recapture the relationship I once had with it.
I did this for years, having a smoke every year or so hoping it would be good again.

Then last month I tried again after being sober for a month and eating healthy and having general good habits and suddenly it was better than it ever was before. No paranoia, no uncomfortable body high, just relaxation and good feels. I suspect it is because my left felt in order and not like one big problem waiting to escalate.

I did it very moderately though, just one little hit at a time and not trying to get too fucked up. You can always have more but you can't have less.

I haven't smoked weed for ten years because of this. I get nasty anxiety when I smoke it anymore and it's just uncomfortable as fuck. Once every few years I'll try mushrooms with close friends, but mainly I just drink.

Periodically I do have a comfortable session but it's really not often enough to justify the amount of times I attempt to reach one. I do have generally heathy physical habits, barring the fact that I drink like a fish, but way too many unresolved mental issues.

Probably the booze that has you in a perpetual state of distress and physical emergency. And the lack of nutrition that comes with permaboozing.

most beneficial:
>exercise
>coffee
>modest amounts of alcohol
>microdoses of lsd

most detrimental
>excessive alcohol
>smoking
>other misc drugs

>coffee
No fucking chance, maybe in moderation, but even then you're better on water and a healthy diet/exercise.

The booze is a response to distress, though I'm sure there's some interplay at work.

>some
A lot, and more the longer you go on and the worse it gets.

I mean it's not like I was satisfied before I began seriously boozing.

If you think the drunk life is better than sober life you're not boozing seriously. Still in honeymoon phase.

It's not like I'm satisfied now. But the drunken respite is at least enjoyable, even if that enjoyment never carries over.

It's fun for a little while, then it becomes a major fucking drag for a LONG while.

Then if you ever sober up, you have to go back and fix all your problems you were avoiding, and all the ones drinking caused you.

Well I hope you manage to walk the line, but it's easy to turn into an actual alcohol from this type of drinking.

if you wanna freud all over the show, which im reserving judgement on. who doesnt wanna rave about his girthy prick to his wife in letter form?

none really, people have their vices for various reasons. You aren't Mick Jagger though so knuckle down and put some ink on the page, getting high in any way is a workaround for laziness and lack of character most times...

>implying Nietzsche would want people to no t focus on their suffering
WEW LAD

training your body to be in peak physical fitness and to experience the heights of youth is clearly the most patrician

Unironically a good post.

I doubt any of you losers have even smoked opium before

I bet you don't even smoke crack, coward