Reading at the bar

>reading at the bar

Why do faggots do this? This is literally the most attention seeking thing imaginable. Maximum cringe.

Bozo... easy on the booze.

I've only seen it once. Short haired atheist chick reading the Bible.

spewed some nonsense at her 100%

I read at the bar, fuck you.

I do bar tending shifts a couple nights a week at the restaurant I work at.

I like dropping into bars when it's quiet and seeing how different bars are set up, how different bar tenders work and act.

Bar tending is an art (not talking mixology here, talking social skills balanced with practical skills and the unique display of each individual and customers). I like seeing bars. They have mirrors and pretty bottles of liquor, or nice sets of tap with delicious, hard made beer in them.

And I'm not particularly outgoing so I like to sit in a quiet corner, order my drinks politely and slowly get a-buzzed.

Sometimes I bring a book so I can have something else to look at besides the mirrors or bottles or TV sets.

It's not snobby at all. I just like doing it.

>maximum cringe

Kys

the only people who think its faggy are the insecure degenerates who could only imagine someone reading at a bar for attention seeking. those people who only go to a bar to self loathe and find solace in random bullshit conversation cant fathom someone else self loathing in a fashion that necessitates actively rejecting conversing with those degenerate self loathers.

what im saying is if im reading at a bar its because i have some reason for being there and its not to talk to you, so ive elected to read a book. it allows me to both occupy my mind with something stimulating AND keep you away from trying to talk to me.

your analysis of it being a function of MY insecurity for reading MY book is a projection of the most classical flavor of your own insecurity. thank you for telling me what i already knew: that you arent worth conversing with because youre a desperate insecure degenerate postmodern swampslime whose ideas arent even worth wasting your own breath on so youve chosen instead to type them out.

>being too worried about seeming attention-seeking to do a thing in public you'd be doing at home anyway
>getting irked at other people for doing said thing, probably because they might receive attention that you feel rightfully belongs to you, oh so noble one, who is intelligent enough to read yet humble enough to never do it in a place where it could actually facilitate a real-life human interaction
>making a post on Veeky Forums about it

sometimes I wait for people.
why are you so fucking insecure?

Don't worry, user. Butthurt faggots have this weird idea that nobody else could possibly enjoy literature more than they do, so they assume that anyone they see reading in a situation where they wouldn't (every situation, basically, if they're mad about something like this) is doing it for less than organic reasons. It's sad and far more pathetic than reading when you want to read.

user, a good psychologist can help you deal with your insecurity.

got it in one

>le contrarian faec

reading at bars is objectively a faggot thing to do.

Alcohol is disgusting.

I always have a book in my backback. So whenever I have to wait for the train or people getting to where we have an appointment, I read. Other people take out their phone and act as if they have friends to chat with, I'm just honest.

I also enjoy the atmosphere which I can't recreate at home, so that's another reason. I looked for book cafes in my town but it doesn't seem to be a thing. Good think, I ceased to give a fuck about what random people think a long time ago.

The only thing worse than faggots like OP are non-faggots coming into my dark corner to "chat me up" obviously thinking I'm "thirsty".
Fucking degenerates.

so forced and so fail.

I do all my reading while sipping old-fashioneds Don Draper style at the bar. You are just projecting your own insecurities at my completely genuine self that never acts with thought to my image or in anyway to cater to other people's view of me in any fashion whatsoever. I am the superior 'original naive sincerity' race, you are just an imperfect neet pleb who actually thinks taking social cues from the milieau around you gets you anywhere but a neurotic hell.

I did it once when I was depressed and lonely.

I cringe everytime I think about it. never again

How else do you meet guys that read as an adult who isnt a uni student?

you dont

>paying attention to what other people are doing ever, at any time in any place

lol fucking loser

pathetic retard

Women come to chat you up? Tell me about them.

Brilliant

but why tho?

>why do you do an activity you enjoy in a place with an enjoyable atmosphere where people will bring alcohol directly to your table
the world may never know

if you regularly go to bars you are an outgoing person and if you read at bars you are an attention-seeking one aswell.

Imagine seeing a person reading in a bar, and that somehow upsets you so much that you rant about it on the internet

Ah yes. The vicious cynical neverending circle of Veeky Forums.
>I hate this
>I hate that you hate this
>I hate that you hate that he hates this

Faggots who do this (I am including myself by doing it right now) should buy a penis enlargement device or something.

As to OP. I rarely go to bars, let alone classy bars. In my country is difficult to find a place where you can drink without the radio 24/7 booming the latest hits which are primarily composed of trap/reggeaton, annoying pop or Ed Sheeran. Thus I've never seen anyone reading in a bar, I mostly see people reading on parks or the subway and even then is not a lot of people.
If I see someone that is reading a book that I like or know/feel is good or interesting I consider talking to them but cowardice and self-consciousness stops me from doing so. If it is a decent looking girl I mighr muster up tge courage to go in but I've yet to see a girl reading anything other than fom YA so I guess that is never happening.
If I saw someone reading at a bar I would probably think they are waiting for someone. If you are going to read for the sake of reading then why go to a noisy bar?
However if your intention is to gather the attention of people reading is pretty ineffective. Maybe once in a blue moon someone approaches you because they like the book you are reading but it is highly unlikely.
So is it pretentious? Nah.

7-8/10 in normie scale, but only till they open their mouths "Yeah, I like literature as well. Did you read Harry Potter [or insert other pleb lit], too? But I usually stick to magazines." Sometimes I wish I had a handy copy of Mein Kampf on hand just to fuck with them. Maybe I'll make some nice bookmark with some fashy quotes just to get my peace and be abe to quote it to the next one asking me. But I'm conventionally attractive, so I'm not surprised.

My writer's group is at a pub, and since I go straight from work I'm usually an hour or so early, so I read.

Nothing comfier than reading with a pint.

I've only ever seen this on Mad Men

I've written at a bar once... just outlining an idea, not actually writing the story.
Oh wait I do write at this one bar, when I get off work and am waiting for my friend who I'm staying with to get off work. It's one of the few times I have to write. It's not super productive, but it's all I have right now.

bugs.. easy on the carrot juice

Agreed. There are plenty of annoying things a person could do at a bar, leisurely reading is not one of them.

>intoxicating yourself
>others talking loudly
>music playing
>an even less conducive place to read than even the train

I cannot believe there are fedoras actually defending this faggotry. When did Veeky Forums become Reddit 2.0?

>i spend so much time on the internet that my concentration has been damaged to a point where i can't even drown out a drone of voices in a bar

it's easy as shit to read in public... people talk about nothing usually.

But I can't get wasted at the library. What am I supposed to do?

Man I wish Starbucks hadn't stopped serving beer. That was the best way to chill and be /lit.

>But I can't get wasted at the library.
That does sound fucking comfy.

Done this once because I was waiting for a friend and had a book in my bag, I felt like a sperg. Won't repeat.

I read at strip clubs.

kek'd imaginig a Veeky Forumsizen sperging out at a bar

>t. 12yr old

When you're not old enough to get into bars and you're really mad about it.

Go back to /tv/

starbucks ever served beer?

Reading in a bar is fine. Reading at the bar counter is not.

For a very short period last year they did, beer and wine, and only at select Starbucks'. It may have not been nationwide. It didn't work out, and I'm sad.

ok, dude-on-the-internet, whatever you say

You do realize that it's your fault you feel that way, right? There is nothing inherently pretentious or unsavory about reading a book - it is you who ascribes the negative meaning to it. If a man wants to read at a bar, so be it. That's what he wants, and you're a fucking pseud to project your insecurities onto him.

t. 21 year old

no one said it is snobby. it's just really faggy. perhaps you are a rare exception and your reasoning is pure, but, you prolly fag

so you go read at bar for the female attention you are otherwise too spergy to acquire. neato.

b..eotc

>Nothing comfier than reading with a pint.

this

If you're at the main bar, it is. If you're couched in the corner in a booth nursing multiple pints, it's legit. "OG" as they might say.

Though personally I find most bars with a reasonable atmosphere are too dark. Seating yourself at the window looking out onto the street would be a good alternative.

Read again, retard. I usualy wait for the others to arive as I'm dependant on public transportation and am usually half an hour earlier there. So instead of looking at my glass half an hour, I read.

god, I really want to go to my irish pub of choice right now, fuck.

Bolano' writes about writing poetry in bars

I'll admit I used to walk from my house to a hipstery breakfast place and read and take notes at the bar, partly because free refills on coffee, partly for the change of scenery from my room, partly because I was there by myself and didn't want to just stare at the wall or my phone the whole time.

>reading at a bar is not OK
>but looking at your phone the whole time somehow is
I'd pick reading desu

Read at college, during the classes is too pretentious?

it is so attention seeking in your head because you give it too much attention, and you worry too much about others. stop caring so much about trivial stuff

SOme people like to be around other people while reading, and don't mind a couple drinks while reading. Isn't it you being an asshole that you judge them as "cringey" (are you a 14 year old girl?) because they're doing what they like?

I used to read at the bar pretty often, but at a table or couch, rarely sitting at the bar itself. Although I did used to work the Sunday crosswords sitting at the bar each week, splitting my attention between that, acquaintances, and football.
The bar can be a great place to read if it's slow...my favorite was always day-drinking with a good book on a deserted bar patio.

I like bars
I like reading

okcupid

>atheist
>reading bible
thats the "Maximum cringe" op was talking about

>Americans are literally triggered by people reading

>photographing a book
how many men fucked you this week?

I like to drink when I read

You laugh but I made $500 and one nickel blowing guys behind the laundromat

Clean your nails, user. I wouldn't let those fingers in my pleasure cave.

but bars are loud and distracting. i cant concentrate well when in chaotic environments.

>Want to read my book over at the coffee shop/bar
>Instantly feels pretentious the moment I open a book in public

what do i do to fix this

I'm an atheist but I consider myself an amateur biblical scholar and consider it the most important written work created in the past 2000 years. Granted I went to a Catholic school for ten years but I don't see why you think an atheist cannot enjoy reading the bible

stop being an insecure faggot, it's literally just reading. When did people attach so much pretentiousness to performing a basic act of a civilized human being?

>not talking
>not making eye contact
>most attention-seeking thing imaginable

This. Enjoying the Bible as a work of literature is the final redpill.

so they can avoid their home life.

>most attention-seeking thing imaginable is not masturbating in the face of the bartender
Okay.

>desperate insecure degenerate postmodern swampslime
Nice, I need to steal this.

My favorite bar is right next to my favorite restaurant. There have been several times where I would have a date planned for an hour or two after I got off work, so I would just grab a table at the bar and have a few drinks and read a little before I walked next door to go out on a date. No one has ever cared or paid me any more mind than if I had just been at the table drinking.

Some people don't like to initiate conversation but may be looking for a relationship, and reading in public provides people with an easy opener to break the ice. I know girls that do this and it works. Others just like to chill with a drink and a book; I can't blame them.

I suppose it depends on the bar and the situation

Why are Eurocucks so obsessed?

I've done it when traveling alone. It was attention seeking but it worked in getting me company.

>talking social skills balanced with practical skills
examples of this?

i imagine its the politeness of the hospitality industry in general, but more loose because of the alcohol, and easier as the boozed up people tend to do the talking

>This is literally the most attention seeking thing imaginable.

Why exactly is this so frowned upon again? I admit that I used to think this way but the older I got the more I realise how stupid I was. It actually makes life fun to stand out.

For the record, reading books in public is not what I'd describe as attention seeking. It's the opposite.

Who gave you the nickel?

That's what your mom said after giving birth

One CAN get wasted at the U Library, do most anything, actually, except smoke.

I bring my ereader to the bar, I don't give a fuck drinking a beer outside while reading a book is comfy

It's only a problem in respect to people wanting to fight/pester you, and that's because you remind them of their own short comings. People go to pubs to escape their problems, one of which being how thick they are. Not saying they shouldn't be reminded, though.

Anonymity, neutral space which lacks any biographical or empirical value that can serve as a distraction like that holded by some places on my home, access to booze or drinks in general, the presence of unknown people and undefined buzz keeps me focused on reading.

>black hands committing crime
Gee what else is new

What crime are they committing?

Possession of a controlled substance you degenerate.

You're retarded