Why has the quality of contemporary literature been so stagnant? What went wrong? What will improve it?

Why has the quality of contemporary literature been so stagnant? What went wrong? What will improve it?

Other urls found in this thread:

pepsico.com/sustainability
granta.com/issues/granta-123-best-of-young-british-novelists/
granta.com/issues/best-young-american-novelists-3/
theguardian.com/books/2010/jun/04/new-yorker-young-writers-list
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The internet killed sincere art by bastardizing it into self help echo chambers. The only quality art nowadays is ironic, like milliondollarextreme and james ferraro. But it would make sense that art no longer carries meaning in society, what with the upcoming mechanization of reality in2 hyperreality

There's a thread up about publishing and the industry behind it that answers this question.

Writing is now as formulaic and incestuous as Hollywood, and only concerned with the bottom line. There are probably thousands of experimental and QUALITY works out there that will never see the light of day because no one in the industry will devote any time or money to them.

It's all one big eye roll pointed to anyone who tries to write for an original set of standards.

t. self publisher

The actual answer is womemes and cucks

I've never self published. Were you using that as an insult or a suggestion?

>Wite man complains about the fall of the west done by women,blacks,jews muslims whatever
>he is incapable of producing anything of value himself.

B-But those niggers only know to write about slavery!
>We whites on the other hand have excellent contemporary li..

Insecurity is at fault.
Even the most sincere writers wrap their sincerity in irony.
Nothing they say has meaning unless you want to view it as sincere, and anything you don't like can be shielded with the excuse of irony.
This leaves even the most genuine emotion a layer removed.

It's just that they're not classic-tier because they're not old yet.

is there such a thing as ironic sincerity? i don't get regular irony when i watch smocaine or listen to human story 3. there's a very sincere awareness in the work of both artists that is merely addressed in the form of irony, which is completely different from their work being ironic in of itself

>But it would make sense that art no longer carries meaning in society
i think the contrary, the recent lull in sincere, creatively skillful artistic interests has only been met with a stronger fervor for it than ever before, and i would say it's primarily due to the short phase of extreme irony in question that introduced people to classical antiquity, for instance. but also because so much art today has been turned into a product and redefined to mean something technologically impressive and easily marketable rather than creatively inspirational and easily memorable. for example i think the push by valve to make their games into glorified gambling machines (with the help of psychotherapists) has made a lot of 3d artists realize those games have no real artistic merit

also if you want to see truly insincere art today, look at fashion (especially the Veeky Forums board)

look @ this

I dont understand why so much irony. What is wrong with being sincere? Why is it considered uncool and laughable to have real feelings?

The jews running our academic establishment, publishing industry, and literary outlets like magazines have imploded it and made it into a farce. If you are a white man and want to have any success as an author in the future you need get redpilled and write for the growing nationalist crowds who are trying to bring down this destructive jewish paradigm and make European culture great again.

Sincerity is for nu males and rupi kaur type tumblr girls

We need the Church.

easy

Is this meme ironic or sincere?

Overproduction has made it impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The quality works produced today will be properly discovered maybe 20 years from now on.

We live in a coddled society thats scared of owning its bullshit, irony is just one shield of many people use to hide what they are from themselves.

In essence "irony" the epitome of living a flaccid and heartless existence, distant from all genuine feeling.

Because you can only appreciate books already marketed and certified to be "Classics." There are more spectacular books being written now than ever before. Bloom just hasn't given them the okay so people like you get sad

why do people keep bringing up sincerity as the answer to some irony problem with literature?

genuinely interested because sincerity, new sincerity, etc. comes across as a bad forced meme to me

These new sincerity fags are some of the more annoying individuals on lit. No one wants to read about your weak-man moaning. Whites are the only people who read books and they are currently waking up from a massive jewish assault on all fronts in nations that are being overrun by the third world and quickly spiraling into the gutter. There are open books to be written and creative solutions to be explored in this if you are talented and smart, but you have to wake up to reality first.

This.

i wouldn't call that sincerity as much as i would call it emotional manipulation for some kind of goal. sociopathic perhaps. i say this because i think numales and feminists of today are coming from very biased conditioning, turning them into walking talking megaphones for ideologies. of course this is seen on the "other side" of the political spectrum too but i don't want to make this a political discussion

also, they may just be motivated simply by money and know what to say to certain people.

I saw a black guy reading slaughterhouse-five on the bus just yesterday. Checkmate.

Currently we have Rupi Kaur, John Green and Tao Lin. Literature is doing just fine.

Sincerity IS a fucking meme buzzword. It means literally nothing in an artistic context, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who doesn't know shit about art history.

Art is always a product of it's context, and a compounding of any number of factors. Stop with the fucking sincerity already. Have a real goddamn argument.

Stagnant now? There's a lot of good contemporary authors in the 20th century. Gene Wolfe, Pynchon, Nabokov, Saul Bellow, John O'Hara, Graham Greene, Updike, Philip K. Dick. We need to give the 21st century more time.

What do you mean?

I browse Veeky Forums at random intervals and I don't understand what you mean by fashion as an insincere art form. Although I can see streetwear as a postmodern revivalist movement of 90s & 00s fashion. That's just a small congregate of the fashion industry that's not really revered that much. I tend to dress in clothing that suit my personality. Thats pretty sincere in image, agree?

This and I'm not sure how it goes over Veeky Forums's head. I'm sure there are people here who consume new forms of literature but not enough to have a proper discussion about it. The ephemeral nature of Veeky Forums is counterproductive for it too.

pepsico.com/sustainability

Literature's been stagnant because people stopped reading old books (except for academics). Read more old books and don't be an academic.

user... easy on the f-bombs

Credentialism.

Also this. Everything is "tryhard", especially when it's not.

Umm, ok, wow.... so, that's like a *really* anti-semitic thing to say OP.

For example, here is Granta magazine's list of the top 41 contemporary writers.

Editors
Sigrid Rausing (Jewish)
John Freeman (Unknown)

1. Emma Cline (Jewish)
2. Joshua Cohen (Jewish)
3. Mark Doten (Jewish)
4. Rachel Glaser (Jewish)
5. Lauren Groff (Jewish)
6. Garth Risk Hallberg (Jewish)
7. Sana Krasikov (Jewish)
8. Ben Lerner (Jewish)
9. Anthony Marra (Jewish)
10. Greg Jackson (Jewish)
11. Naomi Alderman (Jewish)
12. Ned Beaumann (Jewish)
13. Adam Foulds (Jewish)
14. Joanna Kavenna (Jewish)
15. Benjamin Markovits (Jewish)
16. David Szalay (Jewish)
17. Adam Thirlwell (Jewish)

18. Yaa Gyasi (Black)
19. Dinaw Mengetsu (Black)
20. Chinelo Okparanta (Black)
21. Zadie Smith (Black)
22. Helen Oyeyemi (Black)
23.. Nadifa Mohamed (Black)
24. Taiye Selasi (Black)

25. Karan Mahajan (Asian)
26. Ottessa Moshfegh (Persian)
27.. Esme Wang (Asian)
28. Kamila Shamsie (Asian)
29. Xiaolu Guo (Asian)
30. Sunjeev Sahota (Asian)
31. Tahmima Anam (Asian)

32. Claire Vaye Watkins (White Female)
33. Evie Wyld (White Female)
34. Sarah Hall (White Female)
35. Catherine Lacey (White Female)
36. Jenni Fagan (White Female)
37. Jen George (White Female)
38. Halle Butler (White Female)

39. Ross Raisin (White Male)
40. Richard Hall (White Male)
41. Jesse Ball (White Male)

Jewish population of the US: 1.4%
Jewish population of the UK: 0.5%

now what would this suggest to you? Enlighten us user

Omg wow you conspiracy theorist wtf racist.

What you're looking at is the result of jewish racial communism. White men are seen by jews as their main enemy, so when they nepotistically take over an industry/field/etc., they promote a bunch of their kinsmen and everyone else. Same communist concept with using the lower classes to overthrow the European aristocracy, they're just doing it with non whites and women this time. It's an ethnic strategy.

this is the only correct answer

He hasn't read
>Gass
>Levin
>Cohen
>McElroy
>vollmann
>nadas
>LETHEM
Kys my man

>Why has the quality of contemporary literature been so stagnant?
It's not clear that it has. This seems like the kind of observation put forward by someone who writes poetry in rhyming couplets.

>What went wrong?
Nothing.

>What will improve it?
Your death.

Because it's the YA/genre fiction trash that get movie rights.

The "novel of ideas" died or, at least, it fell out of fashion.

Are you actually reading any of it?

was it ever really fashionable?

I somewhat agree. In that, there is no way to measure sincerity but nevertheless, it's important

is this legit????????

sincerity died in the 90s. what we have now is psycopathic sincerity, the type that compliments you all the time and talks shit behind your back. same goes towards the industry. it all likes to be neat and accomodating to superficial hot topics that only exist to make one seem worldy and non ignorant to make up for their non worldy ignorance. numbers, likes, views are all that matters as incentive on topics.

Care to link the list you cited? I believe you, but I'd like to be able to pass this information on. Otherwise, it's not very persuasive.

Can you please go back to your containment board, your entire post offers nothing of value and contains nothing but unbridled, passionate ideological fervour and it's annoying. Seriously when the fuck did literature turn into race and "da joozssz"

because magazines don't hire many non-jewish whites they are destroying the white man? Really fries the ol' noodle.
In fact there is a real reason why jews have so many importannt positions in the media and I implore you to tell me why but I bet you haven't got a clue as per usual.

The novel as well as other art forms such as paintings, or at least what we traditionally think of them, are becoming irrelevant in our increasingly technological society. There's just less talent and money being directed towards it, and society doesn't reward it the way it did 100 or even 50 years ago.

Most successful books these days are either emotionally manipulative airplane fodder (girl on the train, etc) or aesthetic objects in and of themselves (milk and honey). Literary genius just cannot be nurtured in these conditions.

Rather than mourn what's dying, look to the future. There will be a new paradigm that will replace the old, and its better to participate in it than agitate over rebuilding the past and missing the ship.

I honestly do not know why it is so, when I sometimes feel likewise. I suppose I'd have to be a good writer to know what could improve it, which apparently I'm not.

>as per usual

You write like a faggot and you're bluepilled. Maybe this place isn't for you.

okay then

There is nothing nourishing our culture anymore, it's dying. Even the privileged handful who get to make art while living off mommy and daddy's money don't have any capacity for critical thinking, understanding mythology, or attempting something genuinely radical. Just look at the DIY scene in music--it's a bunch of college kids making shitty punk music who think they're super rebellious. But this goes for all art forms. Capitalism successfully recuperates anything that's remotely critical of the status quo and turns it into a product, a fashion trend.

There's no hope left boys, all we can do is watch it all crumble and make our own attempt.

This is some next level bullshit.

t. non reader

go make a thread about how Veeky Forums was better 10 years ago

"Literary archaeology "

There always been bad books. And when I mean bad, I do mean bad.
During WW2 there was a influx of "casual books" that usualy where based on popular opinions of germans (many of them a mix of face theory and nacionalism).
There is popular literature and the few máster pieces that pop up some place here and there. This always happened, it isen't today that literature has a great number of trash.
The only real change is that today with better education and pitting techs, our book market not only is cheaper but also more works are published, so you cant follow every new book. The publishers too want profit, so they may avoid more experimental or controversial books, where a person may need to search a proper publisher for the book she has in mind.
But there are some contemporary ones that are pretty good, even in the YA genre where is basicaly teenane soap opera.

He was reviewing its textile quality for rolling papers.

Face theory*
Fuck my corrector.

Jews are forced to take those media jobs because the antisemitism in the excavation industry won't allow them to dig ditches.

There are two forms of literature and they are both dissipating, but for different reasons.

FICTION - because other forms of entertainment have become far more advanced. Good writers are no longer producing books, they are producing movies and games and other things.

NON-FICTION - because we are heading in the direction of total synthesis between knowledge and the actual. To rephrase for clarity, books are no longer the source of knowledge, people are. Information is growing through video, conferences / seminars, etc. Changes in the job market (due to technological developments) have increased the need for social networking; social networking IS the job market now. Your progress in your career is limited by your progress in how and who you network with. The only relevant non-fiction books anymore are the ones that teach you how to do basic little things, like a 100-page book on a certain aspect of business or programming or what have you. As far as philosophy goes, its literary aspect is nearing its final conclusion, although as far as I'm concerned it already did with Nietzsche. He exposed the errors of writers before him and how their lifestyles played a part in corrupting their vision of the truth and sowed the premise of a future of people that would see past the dick-sucking between centuries of writers and combine philosophy with action; "philosophy is worthless if it does not lead to action" became the new doctrine thanks to him, and rightly so.

Look at the list and try to be less blind/stupid next time.

No, it's all fairly straight forward and obvious.

>Good writers are no longer producing books, they are producing movies and games and other things.

Good one

>racial communism

Kek

I can't tell if you're being sincere. Consider upping your game, poe

>"the golden age"
>my generation sucks
>but i have good taste
Lemme guess, you're 15 and all your friends listen to bieber and read hunger games

Does anyone in this thread actually read contemporary lit?

>bieber
What happened to tween-pop?

milo yinnelopous and ben shapiro

Are you sure you are genuinely interested and not just ironically interested?

Most recent British list: granta.com/issues/granta-123-best-of-young-british-novelists/

Most recent US list: granta.com/issues/best-young-american-novelists-3/

The grip is getting tighter and tighter...

I am anyone in this thread: no

The gall of these jews is astounding, but most astounding is that their silt brains cannot comprehend why this kind of behavior is unacceptable in civilized white nations. Physical removal as soon as possible is the only option, these people ruin everything.

Granta is trash

New Directions, Dalkey Archive, Seagull Books, and Archipelago Books publish the best contemporary writers.

Yes, but the most important question for people to understand is *why* it is trash .... and the answer to that question is because Granta is being run by alien outsiders who have no interest in the artistic/cultural endeavors of European peoples but are merely interested in using the platform as a tribal outfit to spread multicultural propaganda in our countries.

You see? It's clear-cut and out in the open ... no conspiracy theory required.

This has fanned the flames of my heart. Bless you, user. I should really get back to writing now.

It may be trash, but it's still one of the most respected literary publications in the US / UK.

But hey, what about the New Yorker? Surely their own list of "20 Under 40" will be more reflective of demographic statistics?

Editors:
David Remnick - Editor (Jewish)
Deborah Treisman - Literary Editor (Jewish)
Carla Blumenkrantz - Senior Editor (Jewish)
Hendrik Hertzberg (Senior Editor)
David Haglund - Online Editor (Jewish)
Amelia Lester - Executive Online Editor (Jewish)
Daniel Zalewski - Features Director (Jewish)
Nick Paumgarten - Staff Writer (Jewish)

Among many others...

David Bezmozgis (Jewish)
Jonathan Safran Foer (Jewish)
Nell Freudenberger (Jewish)
Rivka Galchen (Jewish)
Nicole Krauss (Jewish)
Philipp Meyer (Jewish)
Salvatore Scibona (Jewish)
Gary Shteyngart (Jewish)
Wells Tower (Jewish)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (African)
Dinaw Mengestu (African)
ZZ Packer (African)

Daniel Alarcón (Latino)

Sarah Shun-lien Bynum (Unknown)

Yiyun Li (Asian)

CE Morgan (White Female)
Téa Obreht (White Female)
Karen Russell (White Female?)

Chris Adrian (White Male)
Joshua Ferris (White Male)

theguardian.com/books/2010/jun/04/new-yorker-young-writers-list

Amazing. Thank you for going through the information and posting it here. Will continue to bump so that more whites on here can see the reality and the semitic sociopaths we are dealing with. Thanks again. Jews turn every institution they are allowed to control into a subversive ethnic outlet, it's just how they are and there is no disputing the facts.

It would be useful, IMO, to produce an infographic like the one you posted but with statistics included, e.g. X percent of CNN senior staff are Jewish or X out of Z.

I'm currently putting together an infographic about Jewish influence on Swedish society and the more I research the more surreal this world seems.

It would definitely be useful. I've never made one myself but I'd gladly spread it on here. Maybe I'd get further making those instead of typing out reasoned arguments about the jewish problem.

Speaking of Sweden, if you have it on hand, care to link me to the best information you've found on the Bonnier media stranglehold?

The Bonnier group is only one part, an admittedly important part, of the Jewish control of Sweden.

>Who owns the largest TV station (TV4)?
Jews

>Who owns several of the largest newspapers?
Jews

>Who is the Swedish ambassador in New York?
Jew

>Who owns the largest publishing house?
Jew

>Who owns the most influential literary magazine?
Jews

>Who have largely been the editors of the most popular literary magazine?
Jews

>Who founded the Swedish film institute?
Jew

>Who occupies the most prestigious position in the Swedish film institute (including censoring an anti-Israel movie recently)?
Jew

>Who is head of the largest Swedish bank?
Jew

>Who runs the largest media production company in Sweden?
Jew

>Who is the president of the Swedish Writers Association (PEN Sweden)?
Jew

>Who paid for every child in Gothenburg to watch Schindler's List as part of their school curriculum?
Jew

>Who is the most vocal academic commentator in the contemporary Swedish media claiming there is "no data" to suggest refugees / immigrants commit more crime than native Swedish men (there is plenty of data)?
Jew

>Which ethno-religious group does the most vocal academic belong to who is vocal on television and other media that Sweden has no "distinct native culture?"
Judaism

And of course, plenty more where that came from. Looks at the top newspaper editors, columnists, culture editors, political editors etc.

Swedish population: 10 million
Jewish population in Sweden: 20,000 (0.2%)

Truly unbelievable.

Oh dear.

lmao Celine was right about Jewish artcritics.

One of the reasons Goebbels became so anti-Semitic is that around the age of 27 he was forced out of NEEThood into a job as a bank clerk. He worked from 7am until 7pm but due to inflation his wages were worth barely a thing. He looked into who owned the major banks and, to his astonishment, he found they all had one curious thing in common (the same banks which funded Hitler's rise to power). He then tried and tried to get his novel Michael published, but again he was turned down without even a note of condolence. And he looked into who owned the major publishing houses in Germany, and he found out they all had one curious thing in common! And then who owned the media outlets who harassed and libelled him so intensely when he became regional leader of the party in Berlin? And who was the police chief who so relentlessly tried to get Goebbels locked up despite the fact he had committed no crime? To his amazement, time and time again Goebbels, this rather effeminate and weak young man, who had spent his teenage years in his bedroom too frail for athletics and too shy for dating, who had hoped only to become a writer after studying for his PhD, this same Goebbels discovered time and time again that the enemies of both himself and German culture all had their primary allegiance not to Germany but to the socio-religious group which, if mentioned in their company, lead to their cringing in self-pity and feigned offense.

I bet the Jews were behind this post too

WTF?

I'm inclined to agree. For instance, the writing on The Sopranos was pretty great and could've easily been a book, I feel.

You'd better believe it

Is there an endgame or is it just in-group preferencing? What do they stand to gain from "winning" over the white man?

Hahaha....no, no "they" won't. A few maybe that have relevance for the marketable moment. Otherwise the glut is expanding ever and ever greater into the same newness, except artificially driven to insane proportions.

It's back to our islands to play slack-key in the family tuning that none off the island knows but us, my friend. Back to writing sacred text, back under the wire, and not for reasons of treachery, but so that the good remains entwined there.

>Not realizing that if it wasn't for the left-wing traitors who write these books, the non-white invaders wouldn't be here

On the whole: jews are the chosen race and thus prefer to rule over people who won't pose a threat to them. Who poses a threat to them? Whiteys.
What continent is overrun by shitskins? That of the whitey. What race does the left hate the most? The whitey.
Go from there.