Where do I start with Dostoevsky ?

Where do I start with Dostoevsky ?

with his first writings, like you would any other artist

Notes from the Underground and The Double.

The Idiot is a good place to start.

This isn't bad advice, but bear in mind that Notes From Underground is a very basic work that he wrote quickly, and his longer novels are much higher in quality and lower in neckbeardness.

I did this, makes me excited to check out his other works, crime and punishment next for me. I'll let you know how that goes

I jumped straight into The Brothers K. Anyone think that's a bad decision?

I promise that it will be okay

Start wherever you want with him. Check out which of his books you think the most interesting and read it. Not every author requires a reading order.

You buy or steal a book by Dostoevsky. You open it. You read it. You're welcome.

Cheers. Loving it so far.

youre all set my man

crime and punishment

maybe with a real picture of him

You're fine. Literature isn't an RPG.

I dove right into Crime and Punishment. I'm in the first pages and the Marmeladov's long paragraps are exhausting to read.

I don't even know who's who in his story.

Start by spelling his name right, Amerifaggot.

Like how, you Finnish nigger?

Marmeladov will be relevant later in the story, when you get there (and you will know it) you can re-read his paragraphs (or not). You better start taking notes if you feel unable to remember the characters, especially if you feel like Zossimov and Zamiotov can make you feel confused.

Why are you in every Dosto thread? What's your favorite transliteration of his name anyway?

He wrote most of Ivan Karamazov's part of roman for 3 weeks, Alesh took months to complete. Don't underestimate "notes". It's one of his most significant text he wrote.

The Greeks

Fair call, you're right that he wrote a lot of good stuff quickly. I guess I just mean that personally 'notes' put me off dosto for a while because it was fairly edgy (I'd also recently read Chekhov's 'a nervous breakdown', whcih I think does the whole 'personal breakdown and existential dread caused by encounter with prostitute' a whole lot better'). I think the idiot and brothers k are a better place to start, the idiot is such a good intro to the themes and way he writes

Dostoyevsky.

My god, I loved Marmeladov's dialogue. I didn't find it exhausting at all.

Dosdoi-evsgi

You. Me. Outside. Now.

Elaborate why

>Marmeladov's long paragraps are exhausting to read
Just wait until you get to The Great Inquisitor chapter in Brothers Karamazov
Idk, I've read that chapter 2 times and didn't understand many parts, but is was very, very, very awarding

I had the exact same feeling. Other Dostoevsky books are much less confusing.

That's just how he talks senpai
If it helps just imagine sitting in a Russian bar in the 1800s listening to a VERY drunk man tell a story and Marmeladov's parts will become a comfy read

Not sure about that my friend. I think it's the other way around. My native language uses cyrillic alphabet, so I can see this clearer. The transliteration of "y" in cyrillic is "ј". So it won't be Дocтoeв, but Дocтoјeв. But it is Дocтoeв, without the ј. That means there shouldn't be "y".

GR8 B8 M8

Try reading Demons.

i've only read notes and while it was quite interesting as a characterisation it felt somewhat mediocre literarily, but that could have been the translation of course. also maybe writing from the pov of an autist was something interesting some decades ago but i fail to see much more appeal and honestly expected something greater.

Read don't fuck with the formula.

Why is the second half of "The Idiot" so fucking shit? I quit the book, it's basically a soap opera

This desu. Don't understand all the praise it gets. Easily the worst dosto.

When I was reading BK, I was turning pages back and forth the whole fucking time. Even if you take notes of characters, all the minor details might matter.
BK is definitely more confusing than CaP. It's unbelievable overcomplicated.

The Chermashnya affair was like solving n-th root of decimal fraction in math. I mean, it was not that important about the plot, but I wanted to know what exactly happened in that affair. Smerdyakov wants to make Ivan think that he wants to make him think that he should go to Chermashnya, but he doesn't want him to go to Chermashnya. I think it was something like that, maybe I forgot actually. I searched for the explanation online for one week and I realized it's a plothole (someone told me that even Dostoevsky isn't flawless). Then, some time later someone actually gave me explanation and it turned out that there wasn't a plothole. It was insane.

lol literally just finished reading that bit, had to power through that one which i hadn't really done since some of the shit in Demons

yep

gotta agree with this, the idiot is really unfocused and only engaging in the first third

love brothers, demons, heck everything elso by him

but the idiot is a mess