What are some Veeky Forums approved manga?

What are some Veeky Forums approved manga?

Vagabond and Mushishi are both pretty Veeky Forums.

There are none

>he's this much of a sperg contrarian
Don't confuse manga with anime. Manga is socially accepted in Japan, and there are some genuinely good manga.

Berserk

punpun

Ashita no Joe

You faggots recommended me Ayako ebcause it was supposed to be one of the early ones and great post ww2 story.
It was fucking shit, expensive! and boring as hell.
Looking at poorly draw pictures doesn't compare to great writing.
Wasted way too much money to have a 800 page garbage of paper in my room now because you fuckers being apologetic about Manga.
It is shit and that word should be banned on this board.

Jiro Taniguchi
Boring art, but his stories are excellent and truly deep. A Distant Neighborhood is my favourite.

One Piece

Weebs aren't welcome here.

>Boring art
Good backgrounds. Plus his girls are cute but then again so are most pre 2000's

>worrying about how socially acceptable a medium is
This is worse than pleb, this is neurotic high school kid tier.

There is no more patrician manga than this gem.

Osamu Tezuka can be great, if a bit melodramatic at times.

Buddha, Phoenix, Ode to Kirihito and MW are great. I can recommend the Karma chapter of Phoenix in particular.

Takemitsu Zamurai. Taiyo Matsumoto is also the mangaka of Ping-Pong and Sunny which are even better though not as aesthetic or Veeky Forums. Honorable mention is the esteemed Lone Wolf and Cub mainly for the art, though the first thing that came to my mind was Shamo, which could have made into a great novel resembling an more unsympathetic Crime and Punishment, but the manga dropped the ball in the second half

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa

"44 years old, single, working in a construction company for his entire life. All Kurosawa wants is a little respect from his co-workers. And a little popularity won't hurt. Unfortunately Kurosawa's plans fail miserably from time to time and one day, he finds himself right in the middle of a fight against...delinquent middle schoolers? "

It's existential, Veeky Forums approved.

90% of the anime are manga adaptations. Also, sometimes the adaptations are better than the manga. Also, there are manga adaptations to anime.

I'll be honest here and say that 95% of the manga are just fighting and action thrillers, comparable to the so called "YA and genre fiction literature", but I believe there are some legit stories. Monster is not your every day (shounen, superpower) manga. Also, from the less known, "Aku no Hana" (Flowers of Evil), which is a direct reference to the work by Bouldeaire, had a pretty good start.

Manga are not Japanese literature, manga are comic books.

>I'll be honest here and say that 95% of the manga are just fighting and action thrillers
If you read children manga, sure. Don't dirty the word manga with your degenerate media consumnation without regard for good stories.

Read or Die. Its literally about books. The anime is pretty neat, but the Manga is fuckin great.

The girl was cute but it's still shonenshit. There was this one literature club one that I didn't remember since the translation wasn't typeset

If you want good manga with meaning you need Seinen genre, not shounen, shounen is the kiddy shit like DBZ, naruto, bleach, fairy tail and all that crap which is ok for kids.

bump, im interested in good Veeky Forums mangas with deep meaning

every time i scroll by OP's pic, i see a turd in a salad.

my fuckign sides, your comment is best literature 2017 mate i approve

uhmm

i saw a big nigger dick

why post random pics in fucking japanese? are you by any chance... RETARDED?(

You are free to reverse image search it, giving you the artist quite easily

Why would I reverse search it it's too obscure to even make me interested. Can you explain in few words what it is about?

It's Flowering Harbour by Hayashi Seiichi. His work is best explained using the popular postwar "Enka" style of songwriting. Like his manga, Enka songs are usually very heavy handed affairs about love, loss, and loneliness from from a very feminine perspective though not always from the female point of view. I love his inking style and loneliness should be something many of us relate to.
As a fun aside Seiichi did cover art for some Enka singles/LPs which are phenomenal, I would love to get my hands on them even though I'm not really a vinyl buyer.

the fuck? this sounds retarded to me mate, you're weird

You probably want to go for my other recommendation in this thread then, it is much more straightforward.
>you're weird
Where do you think we are

>Coming from the board that unironically likes Pynchon and Wallace

Unironically anything by Kazuo Umezu. You can start with his short stuff or you can jump right into his magnum opus, Fourteen.

Kakukaku shikajika

Vagabond

Lone Wolf and cub

Harukana machi e

Natsu no zenjitsu

Oyasumi punpun

Umibe no onnanoko

Ayako

Anohana

Kingdom

Flowers of evil

Watch manben documentary to get more recommendations and better understand the medium

I really liked Undercurrent by Tetsuya Toyoda.

Fourteen is indisputably the pinnacle of visual art medium.

This

Blame is definitely interesting. Not most patrician

You are really so weak minded to need an anonymous online comunity dictate what is enjoyable and good and what is not?

>title has no significance or relevance to the story
>20 lines of dialogue in the whole thing
>artwork is hxh napkin doodle tier at a lot of parts, can't even tell what you're supposed to be seeing, which completely defuses the one and only selling point, the sense of scale of the megastructure
>poor characterization
>poor worldbuilding
>same face

Read some Gekiga you absolute plebs

Loveless is a great manga
I found it deep and pretty, mostly pretty
I just say more cause people would say I have pleb taste in manga (like muh elfen lied)

7 Seeds. I wish Rakugo Shinjju got a good release so I could recommend it.

Chihayafuru

sounds Veeky Forums

That's what I said basically, why do you try to make me look wrong lol

>that crap which is ok for kids
Does that mean Tom Sawyer is crap because it's ok for kids? Pretty sure there are plenty of wanna-be-DBZ seinen manga.

>monster
>good
spotted the pleb

>Monster

Youichi Abe is THE Veeky Forums mangaka

Sounds interesting. I enjoy enka, and it sounds like his work will be very Japanese thematically; I expect a great deal of mono no aware, which I enjoy as well.

You're pleb.

Oh, eh! Careful there, tough guy! We don't want no trouble, eh!? Just don't hurt anyone with that big strong brain of yours, okay?

Best art style atleast

If you weren't too pleb, you could have read the Japanese and discerned the artistic talent present in the panel, which would have piqued your interest immediately. Alas, you are pleb, and so made banal implications as to the young anons intelligence as an all too garish attempt to distract us from your own ignorance.

You only succeeded in distracting yourself.

>Don't take my post seriously, kiddo. I didn't.

How has no one said Akira? Sure, it's well known, but it is at the pinnacle of artistic merit - especially within the sphere of manga/anime and film.

No one has said Deathnote either. Sure, sure, it's entry level, but it definitely has literary merit.

>top tier art, albeit with a genre-specific style (though an original and influential one)
>well constructed structure
>well executed concept
>big-picture themes
>layered symbolism
>philosophic bend

Even the number of episodes has meaning. Definitely literary, especially within the target audience - shonen.

And what about content like Osamu Tezuka's Buddha? I only read two volumes, and it was quite sometime ago (I rarely read manga anymore), but it still seemed quite literary to me then.

Nigga, Ping-Pong is kino
I dare you to say otherwise, the themes are well developed, the characters are believable, it doesn't extend for more than it has to and the art style is 10/10. Peco vs Dragon was great for discussing the whole topic of doing what you love vs doing what you are told to, and how loving something at it's purest state is ought to win when talent is equal.

>calls people pleb
>posts Deathnote

The only manga I've ever cared about is berserk

Tell me why you think it isn't literary, and I'll prove you're a pleb who couldn't analyze to save his balls.

Mushishi is Adult Swim-core garbage.
Anime is generally better than manga because it isn't restricted to two senses, it can entertain all six.

>literature is good
Stop shitting yourself.
Mate, monster is garbage and shonen is the peak of genre. The peak of shonen is a complete subversion of Bildungsroman.

>Anime is generally better than manga because it isn't restricted to two senses, it can entertain all six.
Yeah tv is better than books.

Seinen is for pretentious turds. Pretentious turds do not understand or appreciate literary form, and instead adore heavy-handed philosophy and grimdark pissoff.
'deep meaning' is for pretentious turds.

>believable characters
This is a literal pleb complaint.
Because yr fucking 14.

TV is not to books as anime is to manga, you pseud. TV does not entertain anything because Western television is fucking terrible on every aesthetic level.
You can give those turds millions, and they crap out garbage like GoT. I've only seen a handful of episodes (I was forced by family), and all it had going was the occasional one-liner joke. Oh wow the biggest television drama possibly ever only has a fraction of its attempted comedy going for it.
The greatest work of art, period, is an anime original. It has a manga adaptation but it's terrible and essentially butchers everything brilliant about the series.
Movies are better than books. Even bad movies are less offensively heavy-handed. Dan Brown is a joke of a writer, but at least the film adaptations are watchable.

This is by definition not literature. We have two boards where you can discuss manga. Please go over there.

farmland saga

>TV is not to books as anime is to manga, you pseud.
Yes it is you stupid anime fag.
>designed by committee
>in most cases no auteur
>made to to sell merch and blu-rays

>The greatest work of art, period, is an anime original.
>Movies are better than books.

Wait, what anime are we talking about here, EVA?

>my ear is bad
>muh pacifism
I enjoy it a lot aside from the same face though.

t. idiot that doesn't understand anime
NGE is fucking awful. I'm talking about Eureka Seven.

>Mushishi is Adult Swim-core garbage.
You're an idiot. You're like this user - completely blind to symbolism and theme. What are you doing on a literary board? I'll grant you the favor of reposting an analysis of Mushi-shi which I made once before, quite spontaneously, on this board. As a comment to this post.

Granted, the analysis could be flushed out and streamlined immensely, and other important elements of the show, such as "Mono no Aware," could be included, but it will suffice to annihilate your comparison.

Here it is:

>Mushi-shi is heavily focused on traditional Japanese cultural themes and perspectives.

All art is colored by the cultural backdrop on which it is created, but Mushi-shi is not only aware of its place in time and culture - it takes that as a central part of it's themes.

"Mushi" are a creative play on a common topic in anime - the yokai and kami of Shinto folk mythology. Originality is no mean feat in this sphere, as these myths are a common subject of anime, and perspectives which attempt to fuse them with modern taxonomy or microbiology are exceedingly rare.

Aside from that, in Japanese culture, the frailty and transitory nature of life and beauty are extremely important. The high place these ideas hold is apparent in everything from Japanese philosophy to poetry, art, film, and even the importance cherry blossoms hold in Japanese culture.

At the same time, the idea of man simply being a part of nature - of a much larger universe, and ultimately unimportant - is completely ingrained in the way the Japanese see themselves and everything else.

Among other things, these views give many of the great works of Japanese art a sense of poignancy.

Mushi-shi takes the sorrow and awe born of the awareness of your impermanence and smallness as it's baseline.

Not only that, but the Buddhist revelation that "life is suffering," plays a key role.

Just as in our lives, it is from their place in nature that the suffering of Mushi-shi's characters arises. As it states early on in the show, for Urushibara, humans are just one form of life on the spectrum of nature.

Another one of Mushi-shi's strong points, is the way it deals with a different theme in almost every episode. Each story deals with a concept - fear v. desire, memory, time, societal duty v. individuality, private self v. public self, perception v. reality, fate, etc.

Many of these are the themes of well-known Japanese folk tales in re-imagined states.

Mushi-shi is a revolt and an ode. It is about old clashing with new, and finding oneself in the context of history and ancestry.

This is even visible through the clothing Ginko wears, which are far more modern, than anything worn by any other character in the show.

Like the modern Japanese, Ginko is wandering through history - he has no place and yet he has every place. Urushibara is eluding to the task of modern Japan to find itself in the context of it's history.

The point is, Mushi-shi is not a "comfy magical realism cartoon with pretty animation," or a "quite bland" attempt to make a philosophic anime.

It is Urushibara's artistic attempt to create a set of modern Japanese folktales which juxtapose modernity with antiquity while examining concepts culturally relevant to modern Japan and preserving the historic and philosophic roots of Japanese storytelling.

>artwork is hxh napkin doodle tier at a lot of parts
>implying you could draw such detailed artwork when you're being constantly pressured to submit the next chapter as the nippon entertainment industry has people do

I won't talk about DN at this point, it's oversaturated.

Akira the movie was definitely good, a classic in the anime history, but I don't think the manga follows the same storyline. The issue with Akira (and 90% of the anime and manga) is that it can't really be put in the form of literature. The visual effects is what makes it so good, but those cannot really be put into words in a decent manner.
Please tell me a manga that has that deep philosophical thoughts. The antagonist killed people to make them equal. Death is after all the only thing ALL humans are equal in, as far as we know.

>t. child or man-child

wow ur so deep xDDD

The existence of symbolism and theme does not mean the series.
Terrible. You're correlating 'existence of theme' to overall quality.

No, you are the child.

'deep philosophy' is trash. Heavy-handed navel-gazing. Good anime is above your head.

Are you fucking 15? You sure sound like one. Disgusting pseud.

Moto Hagio's stuff is great, even though there's quite little of it translated to English.

pic related is probably one of my favorite manga short stories.

It is already in a form of literature. Yes, the added dimensions of manga are a large part of its strength - this is also true of film, however, that does not detract from the many areas of overlap which manga and literature share in common.

Take, for example, the recent masterwork of genius illustrator and storyteller Takahata Isao, "Kaguyahime." The parallels between the film and literature should be quite apparent, as he is retelling an ancient and ubiquitous Japanese myth, and his method is easily relatable to fable. In his retelling, new themes and elements are embedded within the tale, enriching and complexifying an already stunning and symbolically rich allegory.

Sidenote: The manga's ending is actually the correct ending - especially if you saw only the edited Western version of the movie, in which the words on Kaneda's banner were changed, which completely annihilated the meaning of the film.

EVERYTHING about Akira is literary. The entire film/manga has a structure more innovative and complex than 99.999% of film or literature.

In truth, I did not discern it's structure myself. That achievement goes to a friend of mine who wrote a senior thesis over the film, and because of this I cannot share it with you (they are not my insights to share), but I would recommend rereading/rewatching it, with WWII heavily in mind.

Embarrassing

your fucking fault for buying it without reading it online first, faggot.

For you, sure. Sorry that it goes over your head!

Autism

How deep or shallow I am is an unknown. Neither you nor I know the depth of things, however, I am certainly further up the mystic stair than you.

First off, "existence of theme" does not need quotations. Second, I'm doing no such thing. I am saying, flat-out, his themes are good and are dealt with in a way which is both original, skillful, and resonates with his personal vision as an artist. This implies skill in his craft, as many artists lose control of their works, and thereby kill any potential it had. Likewise, insofar as the dimension of his visual style, it is unique, a feat which is much more difficult to attain to than you may realize, and which the overwhelming majority of mangaka fail to do (as do the majority of writers, poets, filmmakers, painters, and so on).

I can't even begin to express the levels of irony you're hitting with your post.

Stop stroking yourself, child. You'll get a headache.

>I'm talking about Eureka Seven
I feel embarrassed for you, user.

Doesn't sound like a refutation. Sounds like avoidance.

In fact, none of you will be able to demonstrate that literature deals with more complex themes, or deals with the same themes in greater complexity. This is why none of has made an attempt. I would urge you to do so, but you would be wasting your time, as I would undermine your perspectives with ease.

>now I'm stroking

Because it's above your head. You're the type of pseud to blog about depression while intermittently mentioning how much you love Dostoevsky.

Are you fucking illiterate, child?
I'm:

You literally cannot understand Eureka Seven, because you're too young and too much of a nihilistic STEMsperg with no understanding of the medium and its history or the genre.

i will say that eureka seven was a aeon genesis clone that actually provided closure.

My point still stands. You've addressed nothing. You've refuted nothing. You made a shallow analysis which any pot-head could surpass. In fact, you were already annihilated by another user.

That's wrong. It is far from a clone. You haven't seen the series, and if you have, you did not understand it one bit. No one does. It's dismissed because it's subtle, unlike trash like NGE and Mushishi and whatever else is terribly popular with Western viewers. Disgusting.
RahXephon was the NGE clone, E7 is RahXephon's essential aims done right, which required a huge disconnect from NGE.

You seriously do not understand NGE or E7, or the genre, if you think E7 is an NGE clone. No, it pretends to be at first, It pretends to be at a few other moments, but it never is.

So you are illiterate.
Refutation is a grEEK meme.

I'm actually majoring in Classics--so the opposite of a stemfag. I used to be an anime autist, so I think I know plenty about the medium. I've never met anyone that found Eureka Seven to be better than above average. It was a good anime, but so many things surpass it. And it doesn't even come close to cowboy bebop.