Is there a website with a list of allusions and a glossary for the neologisms?

Is there a website with a list of allusions and a glossary for the neologisms?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.joyceproject.com/chapters/telem.html
finwake.com/1024chapter1/1024finn1.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_schema_for_Ulysses
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There must be.

there was one that acually had the entire text and would bring up an annotation on almost every word if you would hover your cursor over it. i fucking wish i could find it.

this is similar though...

Isn't that Finnegans Wake? Might be a Ulysses one too

yeah might be FW, you're prolly right. wish there were a ulysses version then. feels like there was though.

Yeah this is probs what you were thinking of:
finwake.com/1024chapter1/1024finn1.htm

Would like a thorough guide to Ulysses myself

Not a website but just get the notes by Don Gifford, they strait fire

nope, the one i recall had a section on the right hand corner where images would pop up and often several paragraphs of annotations.
very very similar though, but this one definitely had images.

Such generous Anons. I thought I'd simply get called a pleb. Thank you.

that's rapgenious, is for music lyrics.

Genius isn't just for rap, dawg - they do other music and literature too

no, this was a much older website, far more refined and lit than rapgenius. i've been looking for it for quite a while, honestly.

I have real trouble reading Joyce. Something about his style really fucks with me.
Occasionally it's v beautiful tho, so i want to keep trying. Then again i barely made it through Dubliners alive. Tips?

>Then again i barely made it through Dubliners alive.
You're fucked

i dunno, i was high af when i read Ulysses.

lol

This one is pretty good.

Seems like you're a long way from reading Ulysses. Try Portrait first.

i'm the one who made both of those posts, actually, heh. it's not bad at all, no, but not what i recall. i doubt it's in existence anymore, or it's just lost in a sea of interweb

>Uniggers
>Portrait of the Rapper as a Young Dawg
>Finnegans Woke

Why isn't there an ebony version of all Joyce books?

Pls leave, I just decided I would like a nice board for people of average+ intelligence to talk about books, thx.

dude dubliners is straight up realism, its a piece of piss. What other books have you read?

I'd probably be amused if it were any other books. But desecrating Joyce's work is far too much for me.

>Detroit Heights
>Crime and Ah Shieeet

Literally me.

He just has this kind of "these are words on a page" style to writing, imho. For most authors, the sensation of seeing their words is more like, "This is part of a story, and after I read it, I'll have a better sense of the characters/setting/plot/etc." With Joyce, it's like, "These are words on a page. After reading them and maybe understanding them, I'll know whether this is a reference or whether it's a part of the story. If it's a reference, I'll have to determine whether I can get away with not fully knowing the reference or whether I can proceed with just the word/sound. If I'm just "sounding" my way through a whole paragraph, how much am I missing from the characters/setting/plot? ......." and on and on.

Dubliners wasn't like this, but I've never been able to finish Portrait or Ulysses for this reason (got maybe halfway through Portrait, no more than 20% through Ulysses; and this was through multiple tries each).

Can you imagine the sheer amount of effort it would take to rewrite Ulysses let alone FW like that? You'd need almost as much understanding of Joyce of the texts and sometimes even more and at that point the whole world would beseech you to write another Ulysses but Bible-based instead

O n' tha sea tha sea crimson sometimes like fire n' tha glorious sunsets n' tha figtrees up in tha Alameda gardens yeaaaa n' all tha queer lil streets n' tha pink n' blue n' yellow houses n' tha rosegardens n' tha jessamine n' geraniums n' cactuses n' Gibraltar as a gi rl where I was a Flower of tha mountain yeaaaa when I put tha rose up in mah afro like tha Andalusian hoes used or shall I wear a red yeaaaa n' how tha fuck he busted me under tha Moorish wall n' I thought well as well his ass as another n' then I axed his ass wit mah eyes ta ask again n' again n' again yeaaaa n' then he axed mah crazy ass would I yeaaaa ta say yeaaaa mah mountain flower n' first I put mah arms round his ass yeaaaa n' drew his ass down ta me so his schmoooove ass could feel mah breasts all perfume yeaaaa n' his thugged-out ass was goin like mad n' yeaaaa I holla'd yeaaaa I'ma Yes yes y'all.

OP whatever you do disregard everything in this thread except for this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_schema_for_Ulysses

I found this one to be very useful:

I've already read Telemachus and feel very satisfied in what I got from it (fully knowing you're bound to miss some things).

That's useful, but doesn't take care of the allusions to Irish events and culture of the time. Do you think the Linatti schema is a mockery as some say?

Seems like it

Good luck OP

Finished Nestor, and gaily going for now.

how to hush

What do you mean?