Is it socially acceptable to use an ereader in public?

Is it socially acceptable to use an ereader in public?

Yes.

No

How else would you read masterpieces normies would scold you for in peace?

While that guy reads some classic book and feeling all smug about with himself, the girl beside him is chatting up with Chad.

So?

So it's Chad that is going to have meaningful relationships and children while that guy masturbates and cries himself to sleep.

So?

Yes. Where I live, it's pretty standard. In places with robust public transport, I think reading is more common, since people tend to read instead of driving to work or coming home from school.

> implying it's socially acceptable to read anything anywhere outside of your social media feed

Back to Facebook with you!

Why are you so obsessed with Chad fantasies,user?

I'm just telling the truth, don't waste your youth on books because there's no turning back.

>chad adds more souls to the demiurge's prison

how is that good

You know you can read books and meet girls too, right? Unless you're a cold-blooded academic you don't have to choose between one or the other.

That's not what I see here on Veeky Forums though.

Why would anyone care?

Just xurious, what is it that you see on Veeky Forums?

I don't see the point of buying, using, and maintaining a digital book reader when you can just use your local library for free.
It's free, jabroney. Go outside.

Is it socially acceptable to carry a book in public outside of an academic venue? I'm accosted with constant worry that people are staring at me with resentment that they themselves are brainlets who feel threatened by my forever burgeoning intellect.

eee....asss.....yyy..... onnn....

>chad *baka*
helpless fool ( smug smile )

/r9k/-lite

small blogpost incoming:

The other day a really beautiful girl sat next to me on the bus while I read a book. I've seen her before and I've caught her glancing at me. In case it's not my imagination, how should I have approached her? it might happen again since it's a commute and I sometimes run into her on the bus. I'm really bad in situations like this.

>I don't see the point of buying, using, and maintaining a digital book reader when you can just use your local library for free.
>implying an ereader and the internet is infinitely more convenient.
also, no, there are library fees. My card cost 10€ (for what, 6months a year?) and new releases cost 2-3€ extra. Also, I have to use the public train for half an hour to get there.
It's either that, or go to my local library, which has 100ish english books, half of which are stephen king and dan brown.
for 70€ and an infinite supply of sideloaded ebooks, the ereader pays for itself within minutes of getting it.

wtf libraries in the US aren't like that at all and our social programs are usually shit compared to europe. can't get healthcare, but we have affordable literature.

Who knows. That was the biggest library in the state, though, as far as I'm aware. Maybe it's a university library.

I use Overdrive

I thought to myself after reading this post. -"Who the fuck cares!?"

Of course not

Never approach women in situations where she can't get out of, like a bus or when she's doing her job.

this is very good advice.

Why is that?

Because she can't just stay away from your smelly, virgin ass like she could if it was at a party.

It's not a 3DS. You'll just look like you're reading a book.

How am I supposed to find pedophilic fantasy stories, let alone read them in public?
Ereaders do have their advantages.

>not switching seats

Have you been on public transport? have you been outside, for that matter?

because nothing turns a woman off faster than feeling cornered.

>implying forcing a girl to stand up and switch seats instead of just leaving her alone isn't super fucked up
>implying a guy who makes a girl stand up and leave isn't the kind of guy who will follow her around going "hey baby, I was just being nice! Why are you such a frigid bitch? Huh? I'm a nice guy!"

Put yourself in her shoes for a moment: you worked all day, and you have to, after that, still to endure to commute in a crowded bus to get home and then take a shower and sleep; only for some creepy fucker start hitting on you at the bus and making your day even worse, and you can't even tell him to fuck off because God knows who the fuck is he and whether he's dangerous and armed so you have sit there muttering 'hmm' and 'ahh' after every pathetic one liner he tries to push it to you in the vain hopes of penetrating you, only for him to get offended when you don't look at him in the face and keep messing with your phone hoping he will get the fucking message to leave you the fuck alone.

i do on the nyc subway

bugs..

dont approach her. just smile if you make eye contact. if you find each other looking at each other for a noticeable duration (youre both attracted to each other) ((assuming youre sitting across the subway or whatever)), say hi, and conversation will ensue (because she is interested and wants to talk to you).

This. When you check for some book in a street book stall and everyone thinks you are pretentious.

>reading Crime and Punishment on a bus
>random granny spectates me scoldingly

Oh, and I almost forgot, there was a case some year ago when some guy in my town entered granny's apartments and actually killed them with axe, directly inspired by the book.

So... this concern is real? I don't feel threatened by people carrying and/or reading books, no matter the venue.

>So... this concern is real?
you have to remember that this is Veeky Forums.

what the fuck man? I joined two different libraries in my city (melbourne) this week and been borrowing heaps of shit for free. Where do you live, i feel for you man, that sucks.

Thanks dude, but it's not a problem. I think it's fair to have a fee. It's low and the library is very nice. The new releases is just shit I wouldn't read anyway- if not, then I have no problem waiting until it's off the new releases shelf. It's mostly everything else that's too much hassle. Going into the city, I live to far away, so my cheapest ticket is an 8€ day ticket, and it's an all day excursion for me. I'm pretty sure my library card is valid in all the city libraries, since they're all the same card, but going in, getting a few, then having a time constraint, going back etc, etc- for people who live in the city it's fine, but for me, the convenience of an ereader is just too sweet to pass up. also I'm a weirdo and want to own the books I read.

You are completely right, but I was looking for a way to approach non-threateningly. I like to be left alone on the commute to, but I've struck nice conversations now and then with all kinds of different people, although never started by me.

There's no way to be non-threatening while approaching a woman in the bus, this is inherently
threatening.

depends on how attractive you are

That's not what 'inherently' means, you can be Tom Cruise himself but if you keep nagging a woman in the bus it is going to be creepy either way.

what????

Yes.

no. this is a fallacy. Men are larger and stronger. If a woman doesn't know them, or why they're approaching, then they're automatically a potential threat. A super hot guy can still be a serial killer and a rapist.
Sure, they're more likely to listen to you if you're hot, but that doesn't mean they're not going to tell their friends to call the cops if they don't check in at 7, if they go on a date with you.

Just leave the poor girl alone.

i dont even practice that shit, but it does happen.

>be Eurofag
>local library mostly has pleb stuff, and no English books
>good libraries are in the big city (one hour away in bus and train among Africans, and tickets do cost €6 every time: literally the price of one book on Amazon)
>most of the time you can't even borrow books from these big libraries, or can't get it if you're not a student or resident from the city, or have to pay a €100 fee, or whatever
>WHY DO YOU USE E-BOOKS LOL

>Is it socially acceptable to use an ereader in public?
Absolutely not! You must stare at your facephone and mash the thumbs-up button repeatedly like every other good sheeple!

Check your rich person privilege, broseph. Here in the real world libraries haven't been a real thing for decades. (Unless reading cookbooks among the homeless is your thing.)

>going to the library like a cuck
>not just stealing books

>be in bus
>bus is entirely populated with zombies hanging their heads and watching their little screens
>I'm the only one contemplating the magnificent landscape, pondering thoughts and whatever

Why would it matter, the opinion of people with no individuality and no personal thoughts whatsoever?

Even if it wasn't, that wouldn't stop anyone.

If I have to read serious literature while in public, I do so on my phone, so that other people can't see what I'm reading and will assume I'm browsing social media. This helps ensure that I read for the sake of knowledge alone, and not for the gratification of being seen to read complex works by others.

-t. Malamatiyya pro

This guy knows where its at

Absolutely. They're mainstream now, no one will even bat an eye.

Jesus Christ, no. How fucking embarrassing.

>Ooo, look at me, I can read!

Smacks of desperation honestly

As long as you're not being loud/disruptive or actually smell no one gives a flying fuck what you do on public transportation. I have, for years, taken the train to work. The earlier commuter trains is mostly full of people who just want to be left alone. The only conversations I have had are when something goes wrong, like a man who opened a soda that exploded all over himself apologizing.

No seriously, no one fucking cares. No one is silently judging you because no one gives a single fuck about you.

Good for social anxiety of any kind.

If that girl had anything to offer, he wouldn't need that book

And you could just as easily waste your youth on girls too. I did. A book can be a better companion, but it's no substitute for living

?

>only women work shit jobs and endure shit commutes and have to deal with retards trying to make small talk.