Do you buy books?

Or loan them from a library?

I loan them from libgen

I understand this meme less and less. Do you only read like classics and Veeky Forums chart stuff?

Being a student I'm forced to loan fiction, torrent non-fiction, and buy the shitty textbooks which are written in my native language.

In order of attempt.

1. Soulseek
2. Libgen or Workerbee on TPB
3. Mobilism
4. Library
5. Interlibrary Loan
6. Thriftbooks or Abe Books
7. Amazon

OR

If first edition or limited printing or special book, 1. Abe Books

>meme

How is it a meme, you can find almost any contemporary novel, classic, philosophical tract, or hipster "classic" from NYRB or Dalkney or New World. The hardest stuff to get are scholarly monographs with one small printing, and if it isnt on libgen, its buy for 50 bucks.

Need to buy books because i love to annotate

Forgot to mention.

If I am on vacation and feeling restless
1. Small private book store or antique store

I purchase Everyman's Library editions exclusively

I just got a brand new vanity fair for 50 cents. They never cracked it.

I almost always buy books. I hate myself for it but I can't deny that after I've read the book I want to have it on my shelf as a sort of trophy.

90% of the books I read were downloaded from the internet and read on my Kindle. Whispersync is great and you can't beat reading everywhere on the go.

I buy just a few books every year for several reasons. RecentIy I bought Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world because I wanted to read something at work and couldn't bring my Kindle nor risk draining the battery on my phone.

I "loan" e-books from my library's website and then I remove the DRM.

Maybe I'm just a pleb but the vast majority of books I want to read are available from libgen or irc.

Hi mr FBI

Anybody know where to find Igor Nebolsin's "Stalin's Favorite"? No, it's not about a whore but about the history of 2nd Guards Tank army of the soviet union in ww2.

libgen has more than just that, moron.

archive.org + libgen + bibliotek/ma > your local library.

I loan because I want books in my native language.

I loan shorter books

Do this many people not understand the difference between "borrow" and "loan" or is this some sort of a language barrier thing?

The library "loans" the book, you "borrow" it.

Both. I thought that was how people did it unless they were poor or had no libraries

It may be the same word in other languages, like in French, the verb "louer" will be used for rent to/rent from, the verb "apprendre" for teaching/learning, etc.

When I can, I buy. Otherwise I loan.

I buy them. I'm a hoarder with access to a massive, top-quality second-hand bookshop.

Oh, and by comparison the philosophy section in the city library is very weak.