Are journalists failed writers?

Are journalists failed writers?

they're failed people

war journalists have more balls than you can even conceive.

The only failed writers are the ones that want to write but don't.

not necessarily, but i can't think of a less prestigious profession in 2017

Good journalists are very good writers indeed.

A good journalist, like a good lawyer, can take a great deal of information and quickly synthesize it.

But good journalists do so with a lot of style. They illuminate the real world we're living in.

Bad journalism is vexing enough that I take a perverse pleasure in seeing the entire temple of journalism collapsing upon itself.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't miss the good journalists.

Thoughts on I.F. Stone?

You're confusing extreme narcissism with courage

There's much easier ways to fulfill narccisitc desires.

Damn

This idea that a profession will be no more is bullshit the paradigm for the said profession may change drastically over the ages but the profession itself never goes away.

If mainstream media dies journalists would just go work at specific websites that need content writers.

Women who worked at switchboard tables for AT&T till the late 70s have since been working at customer support call centres since the late 90s.

I have respect for these, but not most other journos

Can you imagine walking up to a big group of people that are fighting a war, and saying
>Hello. I'm here to write about the war you are fighting. Could you please help me put this body armor on?
I would be ashamed desu.

What is shameful about a non-military not knowing how to handle military equipment?

Journalism is for the most part entirely different than being an author. Sure they both require you to write, but in such different context they're hardly comparable.

War journalist and others who go into dangerous areas I respect hugely. Investigative journalists, particularly in counties with much stricter controls on free speech are extremely brave people.

It's that you are just poking your head into a world that the military guys are actually living. I was thinking of a certain article I read titled "Why it Feels So Good to Be Embedded with the US Military." It is a pretty interesting read.

> Everyone has a uniform on and you’re wearing something inappropriate you bought at L.L. Bean. You don’t know how to wear your body-armor vest and helmet, which means that someone has to show you how to dress yourself ....You’re the only one without a weapon and so they have to protect you.

>It's that you are just poking your head into a world that the military guys are actually living.
You realize war reporters follow men into combat zones right? There are people who devote their lives to war time journalism. It's not 'poking their head into'. There are plenty of war reporters who do it once and never again, but there are plenty who make their entire careers out of it. You're referring to the former.

Fuck you're a retard.

Mate if you think being a war reporter is like actually being in the military I'm afraid you're a retard.

The fact remains that those journalists are risking their lives just as much as the soldiers, and very often without the protections of said soldiers.

James Foley, you fucking idiot.

They are risking their lives just as much if not more so than the soldiers because often enemy combatants aim for people who look like reporters.

Journalism is pretty much fake news click bait written by feminists, trannies and numale cucks. Hopefully it dies soon.

Familiar with the name not with the work.

Fair point. That said, it's not entirely clear that investigation journalism - which at its best offers real value to society, in investigating and exposing that which is not otherwise likely to be investigated or exposed, but which is rather costly - will survive the collapse of the traditional newspaper. Simply saying it will doesn't make it so.

I have a hard time believing someone can honestly hold this opinion.

are singers failed poets

Yes but they're risking their valueless lives to impress dumbasses like you, not for love of country or out of any sense of duty

They're hoping to find a genocide story so they can imagine themselves as the universe's moral cop and get a Pulitzer from some kike in New York. War and big body counts is just another hot headline to them,

I new a chick who is going to college for journalism.

Is it a good choice?

If war reporters don't report a genocide who will?
How could you trust a military press release to tell the whole truth about a subject like that?
And why is it impossible to think that someone can't become a war reporter out of a sense of duty to the truth or love for their fellow man?

You sound like a dick

>Thinking cowards know anything about truth and transparency

they never even tried

fpbp

t. failed journalist

A lot of the new money for journalism is moving towards advocacy/partisan journalism funded by supporters or a major patron. I firmly believe we're moving back to the 19th century where most media will be openly partisan and devoted to attacking the other side without even pretending to be impartial

>War journalist and others who go into dangerous areas I respect hugely. Investigative journalists, particularly in counties with much stricter controls on free speech are extremely brave people.
I want to add general assignment reporters who get stuck having to cover municipal politics, state government and the like. A lot of this coverage is important since state/local governments run basic services like garbage collection, snow clearing, water and sewer, and so on. This is grunt work and usually pays little, but without your local community paper having a part timer or freelancer at city hall meetings a lot of local lawmaking would happen in the dark.

>Yes but they're risking their valueless lives to impress dumbasses like you, not for love of country or out of any sense of duty
So you're saying no journalists do it out of a sense of duty and literally all of them do it to stroke their ego? Literally all journalists are incapable of empathizing and merely do it to try and get their rocks off?

Jesus christ you sound bitter.

Journalists are would-be writers who want career security and think journalism is the way to get it not that people who are that unmotivated could ever have been writers

and Steven Seagal has more balls than Marcel Proust. Ballsiness doesn't trump literary talent, especially not on this board.

it used to be a legit thing before politics was separate with civilian life. now anyone with an internet connection is part of the politics machine. all you memers are journalizing.

>ournalists are would-be writers who want career security and think journalism is the way to get it not that people who are that unmotivated could ever have been writers

Journalist here, 100+ articles published, mostly art criticism, some interviews and other stuff too. No one get's into Journalism for job security. It's freelance work. There is no security. Every assignment might be your last.

I do it because I like writing, and I like critical thinking. I'm not always writing about the most interesting art exhibitions and events, but I tell myself that it's all good practice.

It's made writing easier, less stressful. Before getting in Journalism, I knew I wanted to be a writer, but all I could muster was lots of false starts on 'big projects'. Now, I pop open my word processor and write like it's no big deal.

Kys your self you faggot cuck

One doesn't necessarily negate the other.

Officially mad online with a full diap

These people make things worse.

>critical thinking
*tips fedora*

>real world
No such thing exists.

>truth
>'love for their fellow man'
Fuck off, Humanist.
Empathy doesn't exist.

>writing
Hardly. It's a formula. It's mindless. It's soulless. I hated every minute of it while I was in it.

>t. former journalist

Most journalists I know don't read books. Most don't actually read many articles either. Most don't look critically at anything really and rely on a handful of "experts" as their sources to "make sense of things." Most journalists revert to the laziest path of telling a story or presenting facts, and half the time they don't even properly check those facts.

When I was 18 it was my dream to be a journalist. A few years after J-school and I realized that the whole industry is a PR scam.

You don't exist.