What book or author made you start reading books more often

Unironically World War Z.

Lolita

History of Sexuality Volume 1 by Foucualt

dostoevsky

It was a book.

Halfway through highschool I picked up a book of short stories by Asimov, then after an extended spat of sci fi and fantasy ""classics"", I eventually stumbled upon the canon

Moby Dick.

same here

Fyodor Dostoyevsky with Crime and Punishment and Haruki Murakami

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner in my junior year of high school.

Gabriel García Márquez

My Little Pony fanfics.

lol, Murakami did it for me too.

Vonnegut lel

Steinbeck.

Pic related
Made me remember that reading could be comfy, like in the old days when I spent hours reading fantasy novels.

My class, no, entire school would have been eviscerated and screaming if we had read The Sound and the Fury in hs

Borges, he's pure ficcionkino

Stephanie Meyer. I'm not even joking.

This.

ASOIA series sparked me back into being habitual reader, post-college. In highschool I had read quite a bit, college not so much.

Taleb because he so arrogantly speaks of his lavish life of reading and writing philosophical essays in espresso shops around the world.

Mortimer Adler because duh, he discusses the severe importance of a literate (and intensely literate) electorate so they do not fall victim to the most charming orators (whether it be propoganda, campaigns, individuals, etc). He also discusses the difference between "reading" and the actual art of assimilating information from a page.

And lastly, Nabokov, because the way he discusses fiction is simply erotic. The intensity with which he approaches it is inspiring (drawing diagrams of objects drescribed, keeping detailed notes, etc). Pic related

same

3rd grade

unironically Infinite Jest

You're welcome.

When I was in high school I loved literature but almost never got down to reading anything. In my first year of university I started taking English courses and that got me into the habit enough that I became an English major.

Tolstoy

yeah this

Franklin W Dixon

The 3 books that got me into Veeky Forums were Confessions by Tolstoy, Confessions by St. Augustine and Ficciones by Borges. I read them in that order.

Robert Muchamore.

The Catcher In the Rye

What's so great about Murakami see lots of teens reading it these days.

I think Fahrenheit 451 was the first book I ever read in one sitting. Before that, I was (perhaps unhealthily) obsessed with Ender's Game. When Harry Potter got big, I would tell anyone who would listen (and those who wouldn't) that it was basically just fantasy Ender's Game. Lord of the Flies was unironically a huge influence on my early worldview and I still think the book's spot-on about the moral capacities of the human animal.

This is the one that started off my obsession with literature and ruined all genre fiction for me.

Kurt Vonnegut

nietzsche

a true poet in disguise

>kamachi kazuma

school made me hate reading
curiosity got me to pick up sun tzu art of war

A Tale of Two Cities, which I read freshman year of high school, got me interested in "real" literature. I read some more "starter" books (e.g. Slaughterhouse-Five and Murakami) in the next few years, but it wasn't until Nabokov's Lolita -- and looking more into his tastes/preferences -- that I really got the reading bug.

Piers Anthony. Over the course of two months, I read about, oh, 14 of his books? 17? Who knows. That managed to dispel my depression reader's block for a while. Not for very long though. Only thing that really helped was getting a kindle.

Crime and Punishment and The Master and Margarita

Not books nor authors. Greater accessibility to books. And lack of a social life, which books help to sustain.

Gulliver's Travels. It was fun.

>Whats so great about good author?
Because he's popular? Idk. He's good and he writes about shit a lot of no longer teens young adults think about and feel.

No shame in liking Murakami, user.
His books are comfy, the prose is nice, and some of his stuff actually has depth to it (see Wind-Up Bird).

I imagine that most of the teens who read him don't understand the meaning behind his dreamy shit and just shrug it off as "lol magical realism is so cool xD" tho.

Homer (not Simpson)

For me.
Before reading this, I had the notion that books are gay and they are full of pretentious shit that is an overcomplication of simple things.
I was like 12 at the time.
Soon after Rum Diary I read Fear and Loathing which I liked a lot better.

The Epic of Gilgamesh

This

for better or worse, Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club was the first book I'd read in under a week, as I was never an avid reader, after that I just would do one after the other.

Literally this, together with Anna Karenina

Randt => Tolstoy => Dostoevsky => Press to play

A bunch of Ukrainian video game developers.

Bukowski

MOMS GONNA FREAK by Kafka

Blood Meridian

Roald Dahl. I bought his whole children's collection and it was pretty amazing

my diary senpai

This, but in an odd way. I first read it in high school and it made me realize I was basically illiterate, what with all of the references going over my head. After that I decided to tackle the canon and read the Bible, Plato, Homer, etc. I reread Moby Dick last year and caught a lot more references but still realized Melville was one learned mother fucker

Frank Herbert

My brother's old Doctor Who books (mostly Terrance Dicks)

R.L. Stine in the 5th grade.