Just finished the part about the critics. I feel like I'm floating it was so good

just finished the part about the critics. I feel like I'm floating it was so good.

how much better does it get? I want to savor this

critics part is the second weakest part, so it gets much better.

I feel like the critics part is the second best part, next to the part about archimboldi, but maybe I am a pleb

archimboldi > crimes > amalfintano > critics > fate

Do you like forensics? Descriptions of rape, sodomy, and young women tortured and killed, and where and how their bodies were found, like a catalogue, to the point that it becomes mundane and repetitive and you are completely inured to the sexual violence? That's how good it gets.

Are you reading a translation or native? I couldn't continue this after around 50 pages. If I remember there was like a 5 page run-on in between their that I lost myself in.

archimboldi > crimes > critics > garbage > amalfintano > shit > fate

It gets much better. Amalfitano's part will make you feel like you're floating even more, and that's not even the best part of the book.
What's the weakest part in your opinion? Fate's?

this guy's translated prose is some of the worst prose I've ever read.

In spanish is pretty good

OP it gets much better, really

I can agree with that.

This. But it could just be Wimmer. She barely knows Spanish.

You're going to dislike the Part About Amalfitano, but The Part About Fate is amazing. Crimes is something else entirely.

It gets incredibly better.

You're in for a ride, OP.

Kinda wish I could read this again for the first time. It's probably my favorite book.

yeah, fate's definitely. he was trying to tie together too many themes and so it read really fractured with no real stylistic reason to be so.

I also think that it probably would have worked as a stand-alone book, which I think it was intended to be but when edited into a whole loosely knit book like the end product is probably the reason for it not working.

I'm currently learning Spanish and French right now.

Should I read this book in when I am completely fluent in Spanish? Or should I read the translation then Spanish afterwards

Me too bud, been about three years since I read it and still think about it.

This

I think if Bolano would've been able to finish it and edit it properly, he would've had some sort of resolution for Fate and the other journalist he met.

more than repetitive: retarded. or industrial.

Read it once you have a good grasp of Spanish. BolaƱo's prose is great.