Oldfag Thread

Anons 26 or older:

Age?
What do you do?
What are you reading?
How have your literary tastes evolved since your youth/college years?

I'll start:

>29
>Public Relations
>Forty Stories, Donald Barthelme
>Used to read the magnum opus of any given author, no i read most or all of that author's oeuvre to gain more holistic understanding. Also read far more selectively (quality over quantity).

26 ain't old, nor is it distinguishing, dumb ass.

Thank you for your contribution to my thread.

>28
>build log cabins
>Die Leiden des jungen Werthers
>Used to read primarily to experience a narrative. Now I'm able to take in a narrative while simultaneously analyzing the work as a constructed text. I think it just comes from reading so much that I began to evaluate writing as a technik instead of just a vehicle for content/feels. Also this allows me to read bad books in which I'd read good books and similarly learn from both. I have as many bad books on my shelf as good books and I keep the bad ones intentionally, they may be even more important.

Interesting. Do you write as well?

>28
>write copy
>glass by sam savage
>I now read without a plan/structure, just pick up whatever or read peoples unwanted books. if the book is terrible then I'll get a sharpie and improve it through erasure. reading is now for fun and not for srs understanding the world or deep thoughts etc.

>reading is now for fun

For whatever reason, this depresses me.

I used to have a small forum with a few e-friends on which I'd regularly mythologize my life in massive neurotic effort posts. But ever since it crumbled (both life and forum) I haven't written anything other than drive-by crap on Veeky Forums.

lol. well the older I get, the more experiences I go through, the more I realise that I don't need literature to inform my life. how can any ageing reader disagree?

>28
>CAD draftsperson

I'm working on completing Dostoyevsky's bibliography. Currently reading "The Village of Stepanchikovo", it's funny. Just a few more novels to go. I think he's the only author I truly love, but I've only been reading seriously for about 5 years.

>27
>petroleum engineer
>Plutarch's lives
>read less plot based novels and mostly enjoy books like Plutarch, montaigne, the anatomy of melancholy, Moby-Dick, Religio Medici. Not necessarily non-fiction but not fiction either. I don't know what to call that genre.

>34
>Cook
>Extended Phenotypes, Dawkins; Complete Stories, Lovecraft; and might start Demons by Dosky finally.
>Have become selective rather than reading based on close friends opinions or reading whatever I came across while travelling. More into a book's aesthetics, more desire for pleasurable stories, good prose. I became obsessed with history books around 26-27 and still enjoy pieces within a context or that provide context to other works. I still like to divine a book from a used book store or a free pile and just give it go as that's what's brought some great authors into my life, but I rarely do so without some judgement of fate's choice.

>27
>Jobless
>Lord of the Rings
>I actually read now

>31
>Engineer
Currently 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

As a teenager, I was really into scifi and fantasy. In my twenties, I discovered that the classics could actually be good. Started with the Greeks and ended with the postmodernists.

Then I started to wonder what the point was, and have returned to adventure stories and genre fiction to forget my pointless, boring life.

>29
>Part-time IT, seminary student
>The Inescapable Love of God, Doctor Zhivago, Nietzsche, Fear and Trembling
>Like reading many books by the same author to get systematic understanding of thought. Read 4+ books at a time. Less fiction more philosophy/theology/psychology.

you're still mythologizing, fag

>26
>hedge fund analyst
>Shakespeare for the 200th time
>it hasn't

>28
>mgmt consultant
>philosophical investigations/the peregrine
>much more interested in primary source/ancient religious mythology + philosophy, zero interest anymore in pop non-fiction or any fiction that's remotely new

>33
>Engineer doing medical research, currently jobless
>Explosion in a Cathedral, Alejo Carpentier
>Now it's harder for me to get interested into reading new things, I have less tolerance for badly written books. Usually I reread books that I liked or read things within my area of interest, while taking lots of notes.
Reading isn't as fun now.

student (2nd masters kek)
just finished no longer human
started reading after undergrad so hasn't changed

aha what do you have a second masters in

>19
>studing
>La Paranza Dei Bambini, Roberto Saviano
>I stard reading seriously maybe 4 month ago, before I read rarely and less

for all my oldfags, what are your broad lifeplans?

think gf and i are going to go abroad/live in mexico city for a year, then return to my hometown to open up a sandwich place, buy some rental properties and a dive bar, etc.

dropped all my literary ambitions not that long ago

>26
>NEET
>Dostoevsky - Demons
>I'm reading much more now. Also by now I almost only read the classics

what is being a neet actually involve day to day?

Study literature, stalk my suicidal ex online
Spanish Civil War stuff, books on psychotherapy
I'm a lot more into poetry now, appreciate the big poets and look for more. Drama still holds a special place in my heart.

Broad plan includes finding a girlfriend, then buying property in Croatia with her and running a bed and breakfast out of it.

Honestly I'm 26 and I'm obsessed with the fear of not meeting a girl/being in love again.

why are you obsessed with that? you have plenty of time, like 10+ yrs as a guy. how are you meeting bitches

I meet them at parties, bars, coffee shops. It never goes anywhere. I am not unattractive and very personable, but I keep getting rejected.

"I don't see this going anywhere romantically" is the classic line.

Anyway, maybe it I try less it'll just happen.

>27
>disability payments
>Techniques of Graeco-Egyptian Magic by Stephen Skinner
>read less postmodernism

>36
>Musician
>Mozart by Adolf Goldschmitt (biography), The man in the high castle (in Greek translation) for the second time
>I read more poetry than in my youth, when I would read only ancient Greek and Roman poetry. One thing that's very different, I've learned ancient and modern Greek and Latin and can now read them in the original, but I still read the same writers and same kind of literature pretty much, with the exception that knowing modern Greek has opened new roads to explore (some Greek writers I didn't even know of before but now can't get enough e.g. Pantelis Prevelakis, Pavlos Matesis, Alexandros Papadiamantis, some of their work has been translated, not to my native language tho)

>>Techniques of Graeco-Egyptian Magic by Stephen Skinner
>>read less postmodernism
lol what? aren't these two connected?

I want to get. out of copy writing and into editing, a less corporate world. go back to working part-time. don't really have house owning ambitions but I'd like a unit with a nice view.

>between 30 and 35
>Law
>various books of Nabokov, Musil and Paul Morand
>same reading habits and same tastes since I'm 20

what is a unit? r u british

>26
>Birthday next week
>NEET trying to start a small business
>read whatever I want since I'm not a pleb concerned with what others think of me

british would say flat, I'm pretty sure. I'm in NZ and it means an apartment according to wiki.

You don't sound like you have a (valuable) job, or a social circle that allows you to meet girls through friends.

Of course that would make you look dubious and potentially like a dead end.

>29
>BA student
>I don't read much for a variety of reasons
>I'm a formalist now and post-modernists hate formalists for the most part, but who's judging?

nice data mining thread you got here, CIA.

>but who's judging?
I like pomo but I still love my man shklovsky. why do you think the camps are so opposed?

Work this shitty job I hate until I do something self destructive and pointless. Wonder how it all went wrong.

>Age?
>What do you do?
Retirement Plan Consultant
>What are you reading?
Just finished Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
>How have your literary tastes evolved since your youth/college years?
Used to read mainly science fiction and edgy authors like BEE. Now I mainly read modernist and early post-modernist lit as well as quite a bit of critical theory shit (marxist, feminist, you name it). I used to have basically zero standards for prose quality and now I read almost exclusively for quality prose and formal experimentation. Also, I read way more now- used to read maybe one book a month & now I read around 100 pages a day on average.

You seem cool.

>read less postmodernism
Why?

Formalism supposes that a text has objective meaning independent of any viewer. It's obvious. Some also presume that formalism ignores non-formal aspects of a text, rather than studying how those aspects work within the form. It's holistic instead of contextual.

Age?

What do you do?
Data Analyst

What are you reading?
The Three Body Problem

How have your literary tastes evolved since your youth/college years?
I stopped trying to read stuff I didn't like/find interesting.

I have a good job but not really a "group" in that sense.

hold your god damn horses, kiddo. Im a retirement plan consultant too. Texas?

People who are 26 or older in 2017 are all huge faggots

epic ruse

jk everyone's going to remember how much you guys accomplished

>30
>Grad student/retail salesman/writer
>"Jesus of Nazareth" by Pope Benedict XVI

And for the last question, I'd say that thanks to Veeky Forums, thanks to my own personal life changes, and thanks to being in grad school, I'm deeply devoted to reading truly great literature now. I appreciate it a lot more now than I did even in my early to mid 20s. I feel like I sort of "leveled up" when I hit 27 or so, if that makes any sense. Also, I bring a much stronger religious sensibility to my reading than I used to, because in that same time period I've become a much more devout Catholic than I used to be, despite being born into the faith.

My dream is to make a living as a writer, and create great art. I actually write plenty right now, but I haven't gotten much published so far. My dream is to write masterpieces. Maybe I've written a few already, we'll see.

>26
>part time library work, transferring to big boy school beginning of next year
>Jean Rhys, ok but not impressed
>I was a book reader and had no concept of "literature," I know my way around a work now. Less impressed with gimmicks now.

It's fair though since the majority of this board is posturing 19 year olds

>26
>Dispatch and work a second job from home
>The Magic Mountain
>it takes more and more difficult/philosophical literature to get me excited

Happy you're happy user, and I hope you create something great.

When did you go to grad school? Would you recommend?

>Age?

>What do you do?
Filmmaker

>What are you reading?
Frankenstein

Yes, I am a lot more confident in closing a book that is putting me to sleep and, likewise, dedicating more energy to savoring every bit of a book that is slowly reorganizing my life

I'm going to grad school right now, getting my master's. And my answer to your second question is: it depends. It's certainly deepened my love of and study of literature, and, since I experienced the awakening/paradigm shift in my mid 20s, it's nice to once again approach literature academically now that I feel I truly appreciate it more. But it all depends on what you want. I am probably not going to get my PhD. I would rather create literature than intimately study it and teach it. My goal once I obtain my master's is to teach to make ends meet while I write. Hopefully I'll make something people recognize as great, and my career will continue from there. We'll see.

>reading is now for fun and not for srs understanding the world or deep thoughts etc.
this kind of depresses me too but i also look forward to being able to outgrowing my literary ego and reading for pure fun

>33
>Sales (I'm selling cars right now, but I've sold pretty much everything)
>I'm not necessarily reading a specific thing anymore. I want to be a writer so I bounce around and mimic things to see how a certain author's style feels. I've been doing a lot of short stories by various authors.
>Tastes haven't changed much. A few years ago I made the decision to work whatever job paid the bills and to write in the off hours with dreams of becoming a writer/storyteller. I've always been good with people and good at sales so that's what I do. Pays the bills. Honestly, I don't read much for fun anymore but there's nothing more fun to me than telling my own story.

>>Public Relations
wow it's the non moral fag me.

It makes me honestly sad to see so many older anons still on Veeky Forums. As a 19 year old, I always hoped that I will one day I will outgrow this website, but I have the sinking feeling that I will end up returning again and again. It truly doesn't get better, does it lads

>/b/ finally send your eight year old, 11 years later

learn to speak english you stupid faggot

Doubt you're still here, but how is the copywriting business? What did it take to get your foot in the door? I'm hoping to enter into the field once I complete my BA. Maybe another user can help answer my question.

Believe it or not, this place is how most of the internet used to be. Back when it was wild. Untamed.

That's why I like it.

Honestly, this whole website would be AWESOME if their weren't a bunch of boipussies switching between boards eating bait, shit posting like newb, and exposing their nihilism as some form of higher knowledge. Fuck you kid, your in my house. And as dilapidated as it may look to you, this place is something of a miracle. So eat daddy's seed boipussy

>It makes me honestly sad
>honestly sad

As opposed to what?

And he says he's 19
That's what public education looks like

are you fucking stupid? what the fuck are you saying?

How can you asses my stupidity if you don't even know what I am saying learn to THINK child or I will smack you with a dictionary of pains your boipussy could only dream of in wetted Disney themed bed sheets faggot

>It makes me honestly sad

Or

>It honestly makes me sad

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if you weren't such an autist sperg maybe I would open my bumhole, but nope not today, buster

>28
>Graduate student
>A lot of philosophy shit pretty much 24/7, and right now some of Eliade's fiction

Went from having completely unconscious interests as a younger guy, and not knowing how to develop them except by accident once in a while because I didn't know enough about either myself or what was out there to move usefully in any one direction, to gradually becoming conscious of the things that interest me and how I can plug them into existing bodies of literature. And now finally I feel like I'm aware of more unconscious unities that are underlying and driving even the things I'm aware about. It's exciting. I wish I could export the feeling to any Veeky Forums person who hasn't had it, so that they'd start taking their own self-cultivation as seriously as possible.

>47
>I spend most of my time in denial about my depression
>Twitter, His Majesty's Dragon, War and Peace
>Mostly the same. I'm still reading literature and sci-fi/fantasy. I have an English degree with a writing emphasis.

People are here for a variety of reasons. I'm neither lonely nor angry like a lot of channers seem to be. I don't take this place srsly. There are a few posts worth replying to.

I've been on forums since high school when I used a landline modem.

still here. it's work. can you generate a lot of ideas and write to a deadline? if so, then you'll love it.

I got my foot in the door by doing some free work for a couple of start up companies and then used my work there as a portfolio. honestly, as long as you have a good vibe in the interview then it's quite easy to get into. the turnover for copywriters is quite high as the job can cause a lot of burn out. I'm good at brainstorming and riffing, in a pinch I'll twist old ideas, so I don't mind it.

this is still confusing to me. why is this depressing everyone?

>29
>datacuck
>book of numbers by joshua cohen
>stopped reading people younger than 27

>26
>Programming
>Moby Dick, Crime and Punishment, Barthelme: Sixty Stories
>Tastes? Not sure. What has changed is that now I focus more on having fun while reading.

>37
>Chef for hospital
>The Sun is Also a Star
>I am much more sentimental about love and family. When I was younger I wanted excitement and violence and sex. Also, I don't read things just to impress people to say I've read it, I was a pretentious cunt when I was young.

Are you from Croatia or did you just like the place?

whats that mean filmmaker?

fuck advertising. fuck you.

>26
>Architect
>Caleb Williams
>I read a lot more poetry than I used to and take a less systematic approach to learning.

Is a 27-year-old really that different from a 26-year-old?

I make movies. I think while listening to music. I type while walking the down the narrative path. I research the subjects that interest me and edit with a magic wand to make everything sparkle. I begin scouting possible locations, taking pictures to figure out shots and lighting and edit more based on these findings. I begin collecting people who can embody my characters, negotiate with them, edit more to make something interesting. Begin shooting. Once all the footage is shot I edit, edit, edit and try to create a seamless symphony of visual and audio storytelling.

It's funny cuz most people around me are rat racing and the hot topic now is "early retirement" and the look on their faces when I say I never want to retire. I love my work. I don't make movies to make money. I make money to make movies. I love my work

what are some of your favorite movies

Unemployed, but may be hired by one of two government branches next week doing data entry or admin
Art history and Derrida
Never used to read until college but my tastes since college are basically the same i.e. art history, but with more philosophy

Doing just something so you dont have suicidethoughts all day long

So jealous. I hate that there are people out there not only making things I might enjoy, but that they're enjoying making them too. Please suffer at least momentarily in your day to day, or at least tell us how hard of job it is, like royals do.

phd
american psycho
not that much been neglecting them

>26
>philosophy phd
>white noise, Don DeLillo
>read a shitload more poetry when I can although inundated with philosophy bc PhD

>Age
66 this year come September.
>What do you do
Program logic and fix heavy industrial machinery (ie. docks, ships).
>What are you reading
Anti-Oedipus.
>Taste evolved over time.
None, my interest is still in the forgotten man and woman.

To become American citizens and buy a plot of land from midwest.

Respect that you manage to find Veeky Forums abd stayed for the reeee culture

boys will be boys.

HUH?

>trying this hard on an anonymous potato boiling forum

Physics student
A rebours
I've always been a staunch formalist. My opinion of writers like DeLillo, Updike, Roth and Wallace has decreased considerably since I was in high school, as I feel I'm a bit less self obsessed and have begun to find their navel gazing grating, despite some of their formal
achievements.

nah

You solved a captcha for that post.

>be 26
>be alive less than 10,000 days