What are some worthwhile contemporary philosophers to read? I've been thinking of getting into Giorgio Agamben

What are some worthwhile contemporary philosophers to read? I've been thinking of getting into Giorgio Agamben.

Also don't bother saying people that aren't philosophers like Peterson or whatever alt right blogger you like. I already know about Nick Land.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbA9ALOrHaA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

Yeah, Homo Sacer and State of Exhibition are great but pretty dense, especially the first.

Any of his other works easier to get into maybe?

Jordan B. Peterson
Peter Moyneux

What's your criteria for contemporary?

Saul Kripke

Currently living or at least active within the last 10 years.

>Grindr Greg

Stay away from that faggot

He's a homosexual pagan, you can't get a much better candidate for philosophy. Check him out.

He's a 2-faced fraud. He changes his act depending on the audience he's talking to.

He's really just a liberal who's afraid that the brown homophobes are going to take away his bath-houses when they take over.

Luciano Floridi, look up his lectures on YT or Onlife Manifesto

Seconding this. Never see him mentioned here really.

No, Homo Sacer isn't that difficult (even if it is, it's pretty hard to approach his work as a whole without understanding the paradoxes he puts forward in the book), his process of thought is extremely clear. Things only start to get more complicated with Stasis.

>lol u liv naked cuz u can't take a shit in the middle of the street
>what's living? lol dunno, nerd

truly the mind of the millennium

You sound mad my friend, maybe you can't deal with the politicization of your body by the state you claim to love?

Nigger, I consent to that. So I can have, yknow, running water and the possibility of not getting stabbed when I get out of my mud hut

Alone.

You consent to that because you don't really have any option, it's not even "consent". The same way you "consent", people without running water and/or people who get stabbed are still forced to consent as well.

I do have an option, and that is to run from society. Live isolated innawoods.
However, when I do that, I become a liable to repercussions from the State because I've become a threat to society, which comes from the fact I'm subverting its institutions. So it's only logical that I be dealt as such.
Those people consent to several other opportunities of living in society, and the possibility of them having their conditions improved. Furthermore, ending the State which governs them would aggravate such situation

>I've become a threat to society
oh no user lives innawoods we're doomed

>ending the State
who said anything about ending the state

Martha Nussbaum.

timothy morton

An actual who?

clean your room

Agamben is good, but very hard since he constantly draws on the entire canon, presupposing your knowledge of the stuff he discusses. Most often though it's Heidegger, Foucault, Derrida and Benjamin.

not that user but it is indeed a threat to the state. just like the sudden emancipation of the press w/ smartphone cameras on police everywhere. it's not the individual who is a danger, but the possibility that everyone will pick up on a new method of living that doesn't the state's monopoly on water/energy/order. technology could easily make it happen.

>new method of living that doesn't the state's monopoly on water/energy/order
it's called law of the land for a reason

>easily
i'll have you know the inside of houses caves cars ships planes etc. are the sovereign's land too in case you were thinking he didn't know what he was doing

as user said
>you don't really have any option, it's not even "consent"

this.

hes one of the object oriented ontology guys now

fun to read, seems relevant to things going on in the world today

thomas metzinger

Stephen Hicks - he has quite interesting views on Postmodernism
youtube.com/watch?v=KbA9ALOrHaA

Nice seeing Hicks being spread around here. I think lit is where I learned about him actually.

same poster

Thomas Metzinger
Cheryl Misak
James Ladyman/ Don Ross
Hisaki Hashi

>the object oriented ontology

convince me this isn't a massive meme

Michel Houllebecq

Deep and Edgy

Nah.

Andy Clark