Whats the difference between a pseudo intellectual and a verified intellectual? Is the accreditation from a University...

whats the difference between a pseudo intellectual and a verified intellectual? Is the accreditation from a University? Cuz that's a shit reason senpai.

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pseudo-intellectual
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is the accreditation from a University?

Noone thinks that.

So what is it that makes one a legitimate intellectual?

>intellectual

Actually researches and makes new contributions to their field of choice. While they might occasionally try to bring their work to people outside their field, they're more interested in advancing knowledge and sharing said knowledge with the people who might be most capable of doing some with it.

>pseudo-intellectual

No much more than a summarizer of content, just slightly more accredited than your average journalist. Works primarily if not solely for the public eye. Overly concerned with advancing "intellectualism", while not realizing that what they're doing makes it harder for actual intellectuals to do what they do best.

These mostly apply to "public" people, but you can easily adapt them to regular Joe Schmoes.

Where do you get these definitions? They sound pretty reasonable. Although the people I see called pseudo-intellectual don't seem to working to advance 'intellectualism'. Generally I see it dropped on people who try to discuss topics that threaten the intellect of the name-slinger.

i.e. "how could this user possibly think he understands (insert book title), he's a pseudo-intellectual!"

You just kinda have to have done the homework
And be more than a mouthpiece for other people's ideas

So, be well educated and also an individual thinker. Have some new, interesting or useful ideas.

It's still possible to be a intelligent pseud though - if you can understand, link and explain various ideas in order to create your own understanding but share them with no-one then that must be you in a weird limbo between the two categories

>they
>their

Real intellectuals are only men. Sorry to break it to you.

I feel like pseuds tend to use social media more. They also are quicker to engage a debate, and also desire to win said debate. Real intellectuals have a driving passion wherein "being right" isn't individualized. They want to further the program or idea for its sake, not for their own, and because of this they'll be much quicker to amend and refine their ideas and admit wrongdoing. I also think intellectuals have strict self-control and don't spend too much time online.

The pseud thinks about winning debates
The intellectual engages in dialectics

>be me
>go to bar with friend (serves craft beer, younger crowd)
>drink a couple beers
>oh hey! a stranger says...You know so and so, come sit with us.
>sit with friends of a friend that I don't really know.
>they are talking about what is more sustainable for the environment...this kind of farming or that kind of farming
>I'm going fucking crazy because I don't care.
>one of them chimes in and states "the fact that we are having this conversation proves that we are intellectuals.
>I shiver in disgust and look around hoping nobody notices me sitting with the fucking morons.

Basically, if you can say a sentence which proves a valid point while all being well regarded allusions and sources--then do that continuously, you're an intellectual. If you use layman language and common life experience, you're a pseud

The intellectual knows what he is talking about, and can make creative connections with the informations he's got. This requires erudition, personal contemplation and access to different views. His opinions are not necessarily better, but are usually more informed and more structured, since he has actually thought about it and studied it extensively.
The pseudo-intellectual has misread Plato's dialogue and a random book about how to interpret said dialogues, and he know thinks that he can conjure out of this pseudo-knowledge a comprehensive view of the world. Basically every Greek poster on Veeky Forums.

Pseudo intellectual is a person that reads only for some base purpose like bragging to others about how smart he is. Pseudo intellectuals don't actually have any interest in learning except in so far as it helps them "win."

False, what defines an intellectual is his creative output. His intentions are meaningless, what counts is what he creates.
Pseudo-intellectual/pseudo-moralist spotted.

I know the feel senpai

It's mostly on social media where you can really see these people express their
>tfw to intelligent

You assume pseudo intellectual and verified intellectual are actual terms of reference rather than the language of difference used by certain groups? What you're thinking is actually a contribution to the definition of intellectual. Because words change meaning, that process undergoes revision. Look at the etymology of the word pretentious as it changed over time. Look up that etymology and notice how its initial meaning lacks the coherence of its current sting.

That no one here considers a teacher an intellectual tells me that the term is ambiguous and yet coveted amongst the lit/tles of lit. You require titles to bestow on people who speak from positions of authority and because "poser" has no sting, you choose pseudo to diminish the person's authority within some presumed state of meritocracy.

Basically people presumed the devaluation of the term intellectual was new and disliked having people constantly call them Holden, so they started calling people pseuds or pseudo intellectual.

I, however, can be deemed a fake, or a phoney, or a salesman, a sophist, a liar, a trickster, a huckster, or mediocrity incarnate. I enjoy the label the fool or the master of gratitude, but only because it earns me drinks and favours and conversation that I wouldn't find alone.

someone who comes on Veeky Forums is a psuedo intellectual
someone who does not coem on Veeky Forums is a verified intellectual

Are you a psued then?

Psued tend to use big words purposely to describe an argument for the purpose of confusing another rather then just trying to get their point across. They only care about being right rather then bouncing their ideas off of others point of view.

a pseudo intellectual feels confident in defining the difference between a pseudo intellectual and a real intellectual soas to include himself as a real intellectual and others he doesnt like as pseudo-intellectuals

there is no such thing as a real intellectual

a pseudointellectual is 95% of Veeky Forums
>only consuming
>never two thoughts to rub together
>lazy
>frogposters

>Is the accreditation from a University?

well, socrates didn't think so. or nietzsche. or schopenhauer.

a pseudo doesn't put in the work and is eager for the approval of his peers above everything else. to me, an intellectual is someone who does their homework and tries as best as they can to not be swayed by the opinions of others. being deliberately contrarian would also be a way of being swayed by the opinion of your peers, btw. it's a cliche, but i would also say socrates' thing about knowing that you know nothing is important. intellectual arrogance is usually associated with newfags and middlebrows for good reason.

>drive to win the debate or wanting to further the idea for its sake
> not a false dichotomy

A pseud reads Plato

An intellectual reads Plato in Greek

intellectuality is a spook

The two are in conflict in a number of ways.

The operating condition of the pseudo-intellectual is primarily to benefit his personal power or ego; he may care about the material and he may be good at what he does. To be verified you need to be accredited, and if there's no practical reason to be accredited for this intellectual, being a "verified intellectual" just furthers the case that he's a pseudo-intellectual. To lose the "pseudo-" his primary motivation has to become intellectualism for the sake of intellectualism. Almost all pseudo-intellectuals would fail to motivate this in themselves, so it almost always has to be natural.

* and he has to be good at it.

>Pseudo-intellectuals

People I dislike.

>True intellectuals

Myself and every other person or author that I personally like.

accurate

Siple and straight forward definition. merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pseudo-intellectual

Excellent post.

Yep. Intellectual aims to describe a trait someone actually has, pseudo-intellectual says that they only APPEAR that way. The problem is that who and how many people must perceive someone as being intellectual before it is actually the case.
>uuuh, I've got imposter syndrome, I'm not competent enough.
>relax bro, fake it till you make it.

Ignorance limits neither. Nescience glows for the intellectual, but is ignored by the pseud.
I think this is the start.