I'm 37 pages into this after finally giving in and I like it so far but what the FUCK is this Wardine shit

I'm 37 pages into this after finally giving in and I like it so far but what the FUCK is this Wardine shit

Had DFW ever actually met a black person before????

wardine be cry that you are so fucking stupid

wardine be cry man

wardine be cry

No but i didn't read that as Ebonics so much as i read it as the stream of consciousness of a young developmentally disabled person
Who is also probably black sure but i didn't assume that to be the cause of the writing style so much as them being poor and uneducated and probably kinda retarded.

Wartime be cry that her dialect would be so embarrassingly butchered, maybe

Poor, uneducated people don't talk like that. They don't use names all the time instead of pronouns, for example, and no one removes the 'ing' from a present tense verb. 'Be' isn't used the way DFW uses it here either.

Yeah you got a point

Developmentally disabled tho

>Had DFW ever actually met a black person before????
Doubt it.
DFW always struck me as the kind of guy who listens to rap music even though he doesn't like it out of some contrived attempt to convince himself that he's not racist

no one said they were black. but you assumed she was. if she isn't indicative of some stereotype you hold personally, why did you assume her race? i think that's why DFW wrote her that way. to be a prick and show everyone you're a racist.

What are you talking about? David was an honorary black man himself, he even self-lynched.

>Reading this hipster trash by a hypocritical loser who offed himself

It will start to make more sense around pg, 200.

This, Franzen spilled the beans about it

>i think that's why DFW wrote her that way. to be a prick and show everyone you're a racist.
i think you're a stupid nigger. dfw isnt some sort of 3d chess master

I thought the book was supposed to be the greatest comedy ever told for the first part and I thought that tennis guy was retarded and sounded smart in his head and that, that was supposed to be the joke. It wasn't until much later the penny dropped.

>I thought the book was supposed to be the greatest comedy ever told
yea i kept reading thinking everything was a setup for some great big joke but it never came

>DFW wrote a terrible parody of African American Vernacular English to show how racist other people are for thinking he's writing a terrible parody of African Amarican Vernacular English

>applying 2017 sjw thinking to a book written in 1996
he was just writing niggerspeak. in 96 writing and accepting and validating niggerspeak was very progressive.

For the record, it gets MUCH worse

It still is, but now you have to be a black author to get away with it

>now you have to be a black author to get away with it
sure about that? i think writing niggerspeak in the context of a literary work would be viewed as "uncle tom" behavior by other niggers. meanwhile a nigger writing something that is pure niggerspeak would never get published.

never read it. havent seen the movie. what's your point?

It is written in African American Vernacular English

>Had DFW ever actually met a black person before????
Yes becausse DFW was actually a black man
Stay woke brothers

we wuz

water

the entire thing? because i feel like it is very different to plop niggerspeak into something like IJ than it is for an entire work dedicated to niggerspeak.

>Sheltered white leftists who think all blacks are like that fine young octaroon in their experimental lit class

I live in New Orleans for four years as a child/young adult. My favorite phrase overheard from the negro populace was "Ah cou' lackahave a hot-cold drank". Fucking deal w/it you privileged ignorant morons.

i started this meme

You live in Louisiana...that's literally the asshole of the US.

It isn't like that in other places - not even Compton ffs, and that place is a shithole.

>le edgy faggot

>mfw politically active types who accuse others of constricted worldviews and lack experience with other demographic groups are often lashing out at their own failings
>mfw young, opinionated college students mature and realize they were doing everything they accused their ideological enemies of doing the whole time

>privileged
when i was a young boy privilege meant that you came from money. now (((they))) have somehow assigned race to privilege.

i grew up poor as fuck. if i wanted to watch cable tv or play video games i would have to go to a friend's house but i was only allowed to do that on the weekends for a few hours. the rest of the time i had nothing but books from the library to entertain myself. my brother too. going to school was a nightmare because our clothes were shit. im crying too hard to even type the rest of this shit out so i'll just stop here.

>he thinks THIS is edgy
you have no idea what im capable of

Thanks for the blogpost

user be cry

it gets better at ~ page 400

this is the precise reason i have no sympathy for niggers. my story as a poor white boy is a literal joke while a poor black boy's story is a tragedy and a failure of society. it's ok though because my tears were tears of resilience. i made it out of poverty and now i have 3 beautiful boys and a darling girl and i can afford to put them all through private school.

You've obviously never been around those Boston niggers, friend.

Stop being such a whiny faggot. I have lived through the same thing, if not even worse and I still dont cry about my childhood because it was SO HORRIBLE OH NO, infact I still value the good memories.

Be glad that you have a harder life behind you and have a better understanding of these situations.

but that's the joke.

But it's not like what's before that point is bad (see: that chapter with young JOI and his father around page like 150)

nemo me impune lacessit.