How do these three tomes stack up against each other? Best of each? Worst of each? Most ambitious of each...

How do these three tomes stack up against each other? Best of each? Worst of each? Most ambitious of each? Most respectable-but-flawed of each? How and why?

ask bloomio

characterisation and comfyness = M&D
overall fun time with decent characterisation = AtD
crazy mind-altering experience but little characterisation = GR

I'm reading Against the Day and it's pretty darn good. I'm leaning towards GR next because it's his most known masterpiece. M&D's prose seems really transcendent, but requires very careful, slow reading.

Haven't read MD but was disappointed by AtD after GR.

Gravity's Rainbow
Mason & Dixon
Against the Day
But it's closer than you'd think. There are days when my order flips, and others when I can't decide. They're all masterpieces in their own way, and I love each one for different reasons. They're all so good that when people ask me for my top 10 favorite novels I feel embarrassed, 3 are Pynchon.

for what reason?

What's the appeal of each?

ATD is the best imo. Least difficult of the 3 i.e. most enjoyable. It's a fun on a page-by-page basis and has a bit of everything. Combines the historical fiction of M&D (without the 18th c diction) and the vastness of GR (without the oppressiveness and fractured narrative)

i wish there were more authors like pynchon.

Only read V, GR, M&D if you're masochistic and/or an English major

I've only read CoL49. I thought it was funny as fuck, but by the end of the book I just felt confused about what the fuck I just read.

Welcome to Pynchon, enjoy your stay.

M&D is one of the best things I've ever read so I'd put it at the top, one of the most intimate friendships I've ever seen in literature.

>the Penguin error meme again

Plebs trying to justify not owning the aesthetic as fuck Miller cover

While I have other favourite authors, Pynchon keeps taking the cake. There's just nobody else like him. And I don't even mean stylistically like him -- I mean in a sense of taking huge fucking risks.

which one is the Miller?

who?

Reading Mason and Dixon and Against the Day in tandem deadass

gr > md > atd in all regards imo

even characterization?

> aesthetic
> Miller

keep telling yourself the typos have been fixed

only GR copies worth owning are the blue and the orange covers

you got a problem with bloomio?

I saw a copy in chapters were pg149 was fixed

The meme is old. I have the Miller and the errors are fixed. They've been fixed for years now.

M&D>GR>>AtD

too bad that book is ugly as fuck

DUDE

I finished AtD a few weeks ago and I think it has the best ending paragraph on any Pynchon book

Mason & Dixon > Gravity's Rainbow > Against the Day

it's time to stop

holy fuck

he's a LITTLE SNEAKY MAN LIKE A SNAKE OUTTA A CAN

S E Z

E

Z

So does that mean MD and AtD don't have that same shattered, kaleidoscopic vision GR had? I was hoping it would.

They are more on-rails and less psychedelic if that's what you mean

AtD is the worst, the other two are de gustibus.

AtD>>M&D>>>>GR

nah

arguable. AtD has more straightforward prose out of the three, but you still have a huge collection of characters and places with stuff like a guy getting dynamited into another dimension and stuff

AtD for me is a perfect level of challenging, I'm not hardheaded enough to want to go back to the other two - at least not at my current reading ability. (had to quit GR after 200pgs)

agreed. Nice taste.

Depends what you value. I prefer lucid understanding to high-level prose, so naturally I tend towards atd.

GR isn't difficult to comprehend

AtD is a cakewalk 500 pages in, I don't know why people say it's so difficult

It took my 5 years and several attempts to finish GR, but it is his masterpiece without question.

dey iz returd